FBI Monitor Case

Hans,

How many Monitors in 30-06 for US consumption have you found in private collections and

in public collections and still in law enforcement hands.

It would be nice to have that breakdown.

Thanks,

Darryl

Hans,

How many Monitors in 30-06 for US consumption have you found in private collections and

in public collections and still in law enforcement hands.

It would be nice to have that breakdown.

Thanks,

Darryl

Hiya Darryl,

my primary interest is who used the things back in the 1930s, in other words, I'm not really following up where they ended up today.

By my tally, at least 133 have been made (not 125, as guesstimated by Ballou), including the one mentioned by Nate. I have the serial numbers of only nine of those. At least three of these are privately held to my knowledge, but again, my interest in their current whereabouts is really only tangential -- I'm all about the original owners and, ominously, any potential criminal use -- I'm still very much after the Monitor used by "Baby Face Nelson." Currently my best guess is that it was stolen from the US Coast Guard, but there simply is not enough data out there.

Cheers

HANS

• 1 year later...

I've found my first FBI Monitor serial number and I can also report that the FBI Monitor case was 44" long, in case anyone is looking for this info to build a case based on photos. I've located the latter bit of info in:

McCarl, J/Elliott, R. Decisions of the Comptroller General of the United States, Volume 15. July 01, 1935, to June 30, 1936. (US Government Printing Office, 1936), p. 464.

That's an interesting exchange in which the FBI defends that they always have to travel by Pullman because of their bulky luggage ...

Cheers

HANS

Talked to Greg yesterday, looks like the case will be done and shipped in about a week or so I may have to do some final fitting and return it back to him. I decided on the black felt lining a more industrial look, not the royal blue.

I'll post some photos of Greg's work after I have it in hand!
Thanks,
Darryl

Edited by darrylta

Dave,

I like your black velvet case, it's not as blingy as the royal blue cases.

I sold my 1918 Colt BMR last month. I owe you a finders fee, I contacted the

buyer from this site.

Thanks,

Darryl

• 7 months later...

After many years of research and many phone calls. Greg Fox reproduced our interpretation of an FBI Monitor hard case. Here is a photo of the case with the gun in it.

Greg can post other photos of the case alone, really great work on his part!

Darryl

image.jpeg

• Like 1