I agree. Looks like a later Bridgeport drum based on the cover markings and original rivet holes.

They would have been better using an MGC body with WWII rotor, but as John noted, the WWII drum was probably readily available and cheap.

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it. I am glad to learn it's likely a Bridgeport but the thing is I don't need an M1 drum, I bought it thinking it was just good for its parts.

A few months back I ran across a drum cover on-line from a distributor but I haven't been able to re-locate it, though it won’t do any good without the body.

Any thoughts on what to do with it? I received an email from Numrich this morning advertising an unnamed drum for a couple hundred, probably worth doing just to have a better drum but it got me thinking if there’s a snowballs chance of finding someone with an empty Bridgeport drum for sale?

Gary

Are you talking about the nameless GPC drum Numrich sells? It runs good. GPC drums are from Taiwan from what I read in the past.

I shot mine over the weekend and it fired all 50rds with no hickups. There are very good reviews on them.

Thanks, I failed to put together that those were the Taiwanese drums. Everything I’ve read stated they are good drums, glad to hear you agree and like yours. As it was explained to me, they were reversed engineered from a Bridgeport drum provided by Numrich and not designed off original blueprints. That in itself is interesting considering all the positive reviews. I'm going to buy a couple.

Gary

There used to be a person named Dave Cammack or something close to that that used to sell drums converted specifically for M1 Thompsons. He lived in Minnesota at the time. This was in the early 1990's.

Thank you, I appreciate the information, I'll see where it leads.

I am still looking for information about the M-1 drum conversion, here is what I have learned so far; The drum is an original Bridgeport, mechanically sound with no damage beyond the scope of the purposeful modifications. There is no rust inside or out, to include the internal components. Rounds move freely though the entire path of the channel with no impediment or binding. Rotor turns freely, the spring is strong and does not appear to have laxed over time or from loaded storage.

There is nominal expansion or stretching of the sheet metal from removal of the front and back rail plates, purely cosmetic, does not affect the functionality.

The M-1 L drum mod was active throughout the 1950's, which is as close to placing a pin in a timeline as I will likely get without provenance. Range spans from just after the war thru the late 50's. It is questionable whether this type of mod may have originated from “Trench-Art”, though possible.

A question I would like to answer; did GIs bring the M-1 drum concept home or was this postwar Americana, like hot-rods, Harleys and “sporterized” K98s?

I have photographed the drum with particular attention to the feed lips as the most interesting feature and arguably the most critical. The component is stout, solid, well thought-out, and well executed. As intended, it holds the round securely in position only allowing travel forward past the lips and not upward nor nose-up. My overall impression of the work is a fair amount of consideration/experimentation went into the design.

I have taken measurements of the tower rail and placement on the drum body, then to try and determine if the drum has the potential to function properly, I loaded a round and measured from the bullet nose to the magazine catch retaining hole, this distance is identical as when a like measurement is taken from a Seymour stick.

Overall, it appears to be a fully functioning drum intended for use in a full-auto M-1 and not designed for S/A. Obviously backwards compatible, if it can go F/A, it will handle S/A.

Gary

The M-1 L drum mod was active throughout the 1950's, which is as close to placing a pin in a timeline as I will likely get without provenance. Range spans from just after the war thru the late 50's. It is questionable whether this type of mod may have originated from “Trench-Art”, though possible.

Gary

Can you site your source of information regarding the claimed years of 1940's till 50's production of these drums? It seems to me that most of the ones I've seen were made in the 80's and 90's. I mean just because a wartime Bridgeport drum was used it does not necessarily mean these drums were converted 65-70 years ago.

Gary

Can you site your source of information regarding the claimed years of 1940's till 50's production of these drums? It seems to me that most of the ones I've seen were made in the 80's and 90's. I mean just because a wartime Bridgeport drum was used it does not necessarily mean these drums were converted 65-70 years ago.

Mike, I'd would tell you, but then I'd have to shoot you.

There were a bunch of us making conversion drums in the late 80s and early 90s. We used GI drums at one point because we got them cheap from a guy out in AZ. I doubt that is one of the drums we did - we left the feed lips stock for the M1& M1A1 TSMG. We made Reising drums, Smith 76 drums and some other one off stuff. Dave Cammick was doing some as well. He was just down the road so to speak in St Paul. we chatted fairly often and shared info . Our drums were made to order, but parts were the issue . We came across an add in Shotgun News for Thompson drums - guy in AZ had a whole crate of them, We traded 40mm practice ammo for a bunch of them, and sold/traded/ made stuff from them. In the ones we got were Bridgeport, Colt NY drums, as well as GI contract mags from WWII. I remember trading one colt drum to a local Thompson Collector for an M11/9 SMG. Still have that little gun, although I have not fired it in 20 years. the 94 assault /mag ban changed pricing models and availability. Just not cost effective to make the drums.

There were a bunch of us making conversion drums in the late 80s and early 90s. We used GI drums at one point because we got them cheap from a guy out in AZ. I doubt that is one of the drums we did - we left the feed lips stock for the M1& M1A1 TSMG. We made Reising drums, Smith 76 drums and some other one off stuff. Dave Cammick was doing some as well. He was just down the road so to speak in St Paul. we chatted fairly often and shared info . Our drums were made to order, but parts were the issue . We came across an add in Shotgun News for Thompson drums - guy in AZ had a whole crate of them, We traded 40mm practice ammo for a bunch of them, and sold/traded/ made stuff from them. In the ones we got were Bridgeport, Colt NY drums, as well as GI contract mags from WWII. I remember trading one colt drum to a local Thompson Collector for an M11/9 SMG. Still have that little gun, although I have not fired it in 20 years. the 94 assault /mag ban changed pricing models and availability. Just not cost effective to make the drums.

Thank you, your input adds greatly to my research. I appreciate it very much.

Dan Block (deerslayer on this board) did an M1 conversion on a Taiwanese drum for me. Both price and turnaround time were good. It runs like the proverbial raped ape

His reputation precedes him.