actuator cocking ball breaking off

Hello just got my form 4 approved and took possession of my 1928 WH.  Cocking ball was off center, moved it slightly and it came off in my hand!  It is my first Thompson.  Is this a common problem?  Where is a good source for replacement parts (actuator)?

Thanks All!

20230629_125300.jpg

20230629_125332.jpg

20230629_125348.jpg

That looks to be  a WH made actuator according to Tom Davis's article about the problems and dangers of using the WH parts since it is made of two pieces (here is the link to the article https://smallarmsreview.com/those-west-hurley-thompson-parts/ ). All of the USGI actuators that I have seen are one piece. It looks like it is time to find a USGI actuator or maybe go for one of the Waffenmeister actuators since they are more affordable and seem to be holding up so far according to the few guys here that have been testing them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Varminter said:

I've been shooting the Waffenmeister in both the 1928 and a milled down one for a 1921.  Mine's in a Colt, not sure if that would matter.  I'd go that route.

Can you share who milled the 1928 to 1921 spec?

Another question

when field stripping it was extremely difficult to separate the upper receiver from the lower receiver.  was able to finally muscle it off and gave it a good cleaning with Hoppes and CLP.  When putting it back together it was still extremely tight, even after a lube with CLP.  i.e. did not slide right back together like the butt stock does..

Suggestions/comments?

A genuine West Hurley two-piece!

Please don't just trash the errant cocking-ball.

Not only is the actuator a collector's-item...

we're having a hard time sourcing the knurled ball for our display receivers.

It could go to a new home! ...Phil

2 hours ago, LMH said:

Thanks everyone from the WH Thompson FNG.  Checked my buffer pilot also and gosh............ 2 piece.  Have 2 solid made ones coming from Apex  apexgunparts.com

I saw that order for the 2 original buffer pilots.
I appreciate the business and the mention.

Richard

It appears you have one of the two-piece WH actuators. Your lucky it did not separate while firing! 

You also need a modern polyurethane buffer disc before firing the WH. Board member PK. has the best discs in my opinion. He has two types. I suggest buying both types. You need to protect the rear of that receiver as much as possible. 

8 hours ago, LMH said:

most welcome too bad you didnt have the buffer pads

We used to sell the buffer pilots with the pads, we had a large bin full of them!
Thompson 1928A1 recoil spring pilot guide, with pad
Same with actuators, blish locks, extractors, 20rd magazines, firing pins, bolts, pistol grips, magazine catches, front sights, etc, etc...
I am shocked when I look at that category now, and I cannot restock the majority of it.
I wish I had obtained more spares for my guns, I always thought it would be on the shelf!

Richard

Edited by APEXgunparts

The good thing about this actuator failure is that these parts didn't last long, so you know your gun has peobably seen very little use.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2023 at 6:22 PM, LMH said:

Another question

when field stripping it was extremely difficult to separate the upper receiver from the lower receiver.  was able to finally muscle it off and gave it a good cleaning with Hoppes and CLP.  When putting it back together it was still extremely tight, even after a lube with CLP.  i.e. did not slide right back together like the butt stock does..

Suggestions/comments?

Tight is good but you say it was extremely difficult.  Did you have the selector in the full auto position and were you pulling the trigger as you separated the frame?  Those are standard during disassembly. 

On 6/30/2023 at 10:47 AM, TSMGguy said:

The good thing about this actuator failure is that these parts didn't last long, so you know your gun has peobably seen very little use.

Ok, so I'm a neophyte to the world of Thompson ownership/ maintenance, but I never realized that the actuator was a high wear component. I should probably start a thread in its own right, as this brings up several questions.

2 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Ok, so I'm a neophyte to the world of Thompson ownership/ maintenance, but I never realized that the actuator was a high wear component. I should probably start a thread in its own right, as this brings up several questions.

Original actuators are pretty much bullet proof. It was the cast WH parts that had problems. These were made with economy in mind after Auto Ordnance WH began to run out of GI parts for their guns. Most of these parts have been replaced today with original WWII Savage, Stevens, and AOC parts. End of problem.

Edited by TSMGguy
  • Upvote 1

On 6/29/2023 at 3:20 PM, LMH said:

Cocking ball was off center, moved it slightly and it came off in my hand!  It is my first Thompson.  Is this a common problem? 

To answer your question:   

Guns manufactured before 1945 - the answer is NO.

Guns manufactured after 1970 - the answer is YES.

WHs were not very well made and you might have some part swapping to do before it runs well.   You came to the right place, my fellow Thompson fanatics here can fill you in on all the details.

Edited by Doug Quaid

Welcome to becoming a Thompson Submachine Gun owner!  Like you, I just received my WH TSMG out of ATF jail last week (see my post "Finally") ... Fortunately, for me the previous owner had replaced almost all the WH parts with USGI parts and included lots of extras in the deal. The only thing I needed to replace was the buffer pilot (it was a WH one piece - made with lower quality steel than the USGI parts) with a USGI Savage buffer pilot and a new polyurethane disk from PK per TD's recommendation because the steel used to make our WH receivers does not seem to be as robust as the USGI 1928s. Here is a link to an earlier post that you will find worthwile reading: 

I also replaced all the WH wood with USGI pieces that were included, but needed refinishing. 

Enjoy!!

My WH28 was also extremely hard to seperate the frame from the receiver. I mean way too hard. Had to send the gun to PK to straighten it our and he fixed that problem also. Now it slides together like glass and runs 100%.  PK is TOP NOTCH!