Best MG/SMG for investment

DGinGA

With the amazing run up in NFA values, thinking about getting a safe queen, something I’d not shoot. Have SMGs for that. I’ve been thinking of an M16 of some type since AR’s are all I see at ranges these days. One dealer told me MP5’s are going up the fastest. Looking to invest up to 50K. Any thoughts as to the best choice?

May I suggest that you send me $25K and then invest the remaining $25K in a nice shooter MP40 Tube Gun!

Seriously though, if you can find a STG 43/44, numbers matching gun this might be the answer. It is somewhat of a specialty market but those things are hard to find and always sell fast. 

Another option might be a super nice MP38.

Or.... you can go for a rare M16 Variant (Keosayian Collection Gun). I have two and they are very marketable.

12 minutes ago, yohuang said:

Buy a M60 SAW. It has two advantages for investment: (1) it is available, as long as you have budget ready, you can find one quickly. (2) its value is good.

Good idea, but why not an A10 surplus, or perhaps a M1A Abrams there a lot's of them if you have a place to park.

Investment is a myth.  The NFA market could collapse as prices top out and no one is willing to pay them.

Having said that the price of rifle-caliber MGs is not currently tracking upwards nearly as quickly as pistol-caliber SMGs.  If this trend turns around in the future rifle-caliber MGs bought today might show more gains that SMGs.  How's your crystal ball? Mine isn't working.

Like Jim C 351 said buy what you enjoy and take your chances on what it's going to be worth in the future

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rekraps said:

Good idea, but why not an A10 surplus, or perhaps a M1A Abrams there a lot's of them if you have a place to park.

First, are you sure they are ready for you to acquire? Second, even if they are, the market is too tiny. 

2 hours ago, yohuang said:

First, are you sure they are ready for you to acquire? Second, even if they are, the market is too tiny. 

I stand corrected. My wife killed the idea as our HOA does not allow these items on the property. RATS!

On 7/24/2023 at 10:19 AM, Rekraps said:

I stand corrected. My wife killed the idea as our HOA does not allow these items on the property. RATS!

I get it, your subdivision doesn't have a runway, fuel, or hangars, plus there are no A10's or Abrams in the market place.  The good news is there is a Harrier jump jet for sale, you might be able to land on the street in front of the house, and if your garage is as big as mine, no problemo dragging it in off the street up the driveway? In my area everyone is in the HOA except me.  My lot was a back property in the adjoining section, thus not in the subdivision.  When I informed them of this and that I would do as I please, they threatened to sue me.  I reminded them that costs money.....and that was the end of that. LOL.   For a short time I had considered a helicopter, but when investigating the cost/benefit/time commitment, dropped the idea.   A doctor down the road has a Robinson R44, which he has crashed once already......it's only a matter of time.  He flies it from the house to the airport where his hangar/ jet is.

Investment is what you make of it.  Looks like commercial office space is the loser investment of the day, as are stocks of companies that hold a lot of it, including one of my insurance companies whose dividend will be dropping like a rock.  My crystal ball has been pretty good on actual items, but I'm horrible at overestimating the intelligence of the general public.

I'm still bullish on MG's, as demand far outstrips supply.  Not as rare as Leonardo de Biden or Hunter van Gogh painting that brings huge money, but still scarce.

You speak the truth. I too follow financials closely and the commercial office space issue is going to be big, and not getting better. 

The MG collection route I choose was wise, and just another leg of my retirement strategy. Plus, look how much fun we have with the hobby. I just love it. 

Be careful - all it takes is one case by SCOTUS to consider the NFA (or in the least Hughes) unconstitutional and the majority of your investment is gone in an instant. 

I would not invest in something (especially longterm) that draws the majority of it's value simply because the gov't put a restriction on it. 

The NFA's days ARE numbered whether people want to admit it or not. 

Edited by bandanabandit1

7 hours ago, bandanabandit1 said:

Be careful - all it takes is one case by SCOTUS to consider the NFA (or in the least Hughes) unconstitutional and the majority of your investment is gone in an instant. 

It is a great point. How many percent of family asset value could be assigned to guns needs to thought and monitored, 1%, 5%, 10%, etc. High percentage on a single type of asset has higher risk.

On 7/29/2023 at 9:35 AM, inertord said:

I know more than a few guys that passed on $500 Fleming HK Sears 37 years ago, because Public Law 99-308 was predicted to go away anytime soon by some 🤕

That's exactly why I have no issues collecting the NFA stuff. Plus I get to use the asset!

On 7/29/2023 at 8:35 AM, inertord said:

I know more than a few guys that passed on $500 Fleming HK Sears 37 years ago, because Public Law 99-308 was predicted to go away anytime soon by some 🤕

some of those guys were bitter that the year before they were $200, and then the price doubled.   I know I guy I bought two from some years back who paid 200 each and accused me of stealing them from him at 12K each, even though that was the price we agreed on and I paid upfront 100%.  When I went to get them months later, he was not a happy camper? LOL

bananabandit, If the hughes act were repealed do you suppose the Germans would be shipping Maxims over here, or colt would start making 21 thompsons again?  And how many states would move to impose the same restrictions as the NFA on a state level?  And of the 180K transferables are you implying the gov would buy them for FMV, and do what with them?

13 hours ago, johnsonlmg41 said:

some of those guys were bitter that the year before they were $200, and then the price doubled.   I know I guy I bought two from some years back who paid 200 each and accused me of stealing them from him at 12K each, even though that was the price we agreed on and I paid upfront 100%.  When I went to get them months later, he was not a happy camper? LOL

bananabandit, If the hughes act were repealed do you suppose the Germans would be shipping Maxims over here, or colt would start making 21 thompsons again?  And how many states would move to impose the same restrictions as the NFA on a state level?  And of the 180K transferables are you implying the gov would buy them for FMV, and do what with them?

Spot on. The government has a lot of other issues to deal with other than a bunch of legally owned, registered, never used in crimes collector guns!

But any ban on "assault weapons" is very likely to catch up NFA items by either accident or intent.  the proposal in last year's house bill to outlaw the transfer of high cap magazines if enacted would have turned all our MGs and SMGs into useless display pieces within a generation

10 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

But any ban on "assault weapons" is very likely to catch up NFA items by either accident or intent.  the proposal in last year's house bill to outlaw the transfer of high cap magazines if enacted would have turned all our MGs and SMGs into useless display pieces within a generation

generally that would not be legal (and I understand they might do it anyhow).  There is the possibility of banning new ones.....you can see how well that worked last time?  Or in states that have done it, most ignore it or are grandfathered to some degree, or it's been overturned and some states have exceptions for MG's?  Even the brace registration is looking shaky.  They just got overturned on 80% receivers as well.  They pushed so hard in DC and NY for new BS rules, all of their stuff got overturned so they lost a lot of ground from when they had bans in place.  Then there's always the LE exceptions they write in, in reality if they get it we get it.  And of course rich liberal security teams.....no big mags for them?  I don't think that will fly?

In addition to outlawing new manufacture the House bill would have allowed the present owners to keep their high cap mags but would have outlawed further transfer of them.  No exceptions were made for NFA items or for inheritance so your mags would become casket ballast.  I know who my heirs are and I have a shitload of mags for all my SMGs so if that law ever were to be enacted they would be receiving a care package before the effective date containing all but 5 or so of the mags for each of my guns. Ultimately they would receive the matching guns from my estate.

It's a massively screwed up way to have to proceed

My mags would all be in groups owned by LLC's.  You buy the LLC and you get the mags and are free to continue to sell the LLC to as many different people as you want forever.

What about the magazines possessed by the militia in the upcoming civil war?  LOL  I suppose the winner makes new rules?