Replacement Of Damaged Receiver

I have had a couple of calls recently from

guys who want to replace the receivers on

their Thompsons. One is a really crappy reweld

that works but the guy is hoping to "condemn"

it and replace with a new tight receiver. The

other is a fatigue-cracked WH that is slowly

getting worse. I have not seen either of these

guns, I'm just going by what I was told.

The question is, does the ATF allow you to

replace a damaged/worn out receiver with a

receiver of the same model and type, and you

turn in the old one to them? Of course the work

would have to be done by a Class 2, etc.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Bob

I have heard that the original manufacturer ONLY can make a replacement receiver. Third parties are not allowed to "make a replacement."

I am not a C3 or an expert on the matter, so take this with a grain of salt.

Norm

One is a really crappy reweld
that works but the guy is hoping to "condemn"
it and replace with a new tight receiver.

This sounds like a job for PK. If anyone could save a badly damaged Thompson receiver, it would be PK.

Norm

posty model only, just like if you have a colt and it go's POP!no new one to replace it. only ruger can fix there current stuff...and maybe luck witha m-16 from colt.but i really do doubt it. otherwise you could imagine the nightmare with n.f.a.

just like you can't make up a colt gun and transfer the number from one to another and destroy the old rec.

if a manufacture tell's you he can...i want to see that in writing from the gov.good luck. however i'm pretty sure.they are stuck with what they got....take care,Ron

How much of the original reciever has to be there for it to be considered "original"? Just like doing a car restoration.. the receiver should be able to be revitalized ( my new word of the month http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif ) by PK or reconbob back to factory new....

Nope no more... At one point they were letting this happen but alas those were the good ole days... I would do a search on Sturm (ugh) and subguns on the subject it has been discussed at length on those boards......

QUOTE (Hawkeye_Joe @ Jan 19 2007, 07:37 PM)
Ummmm.. what if you just "got it done"??? Uncle Sugar doesn't need to know EVERYTHING..... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Correct unless something else triggered it, no one would ever question it.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

QUOTE (TD. @ Jan 19 2007, 11:57 AM)
Greg,
Can the original manufacturer of the machine gun replace the machine Gun receiver?

I think Oly Arms was doing this and someone wrote a letter to ATF wanting to know if it was kosher. ATF told Oly to knock it off. I believe Ruger replaces their receivers with already existing new ones (pre-86) with a new serial number when you send them a broken one.

I'll make a call and pose the question again to see which way the wind is blowing this year.

QUOTE (Tman @ Jan 22 2007, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (TD. @ Jan 19 2007, 11:57 AM)
Greg,
Can the original manufacturer of the machine gun replace the machine Gun receiver?

I think Oly Arms was doing this and someone wrote a letter to ATF wanting to know if it was kosher. ATF told Oly to knock it off. I believe Ruger replaces their receivers with already existing new ones (pre-86) with a new serial number when you send them a broken one.

I'll make a call and pose the question again to see which way the wind is blowing this year.

Tman,

I think that Oly Arms was replacing "assualt weapon" reveivers that were banned under the 1994 crime bill, not NFA weapons.

These were AR-15 type guns that were legally purchased, but needed to have the receiver replaced.

HCI (or one of anti-gun groups) caught word of this and pinned them.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading this in a few places back when the ban was in effect.

Norm

I believe that Oly was replacing MG receivers too and not only ones that were originally made by them. According to BATF regs a couple years back the original manufacturer of the firearm could legally replace the receiver with a new one of the same type and renumber it to the one being replaced. The original then had to be destroyed. I'm guessing that they never really intended the MG's to be included in this and ruger has never been a believer in that rule. I had it on paper and showed it to the idiots at ruger when I found a crack in one of my 10/22 receivers. They would not renumber a receiver to replace it.

Because of Oly's work trying to save irreplaceable MG's the ATF ruled that this could no longer be done. Once again we have a regulatory arm of the govt making capricious rules with no basis in the laws existing.

"Congress shall make the Laws" but atf will make rules binding on the peons and causing their cats to be stomped, doors to be kicked in and places of business/residence burned down.

Just my 2 cents.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...
Talked to the powers that be at FTB and NFA and both said that if companies are replacing damaged registered receivers that it would be considered a 'new manufacture' of an NFA weapon and the new receiver would be a post '86 MG.

I was in touch with Oly in 2005 about replacing my PAWS receiver. Here is their reply.

"Hi! We do not currently remake class III receivers as the ATF has had issues with it in the past. We are trying to work this out with them, but it might be a while before we come to an understanding. Thank you for your patience with us in this process. Feel free to contact our Returns and Repairs dept. for over the phone help with your rifle."

Don R.Teague

I will probably contact them this spring for an update. My understanding is that it was someone from the net that had to be right and pestered the ATF to make a ruling. Rumor has it that this person was a Colt collector and could not stand that the OLY RR's were surpassing colts in price since they could be replaced. This is how infighting and jealousy amongst ourselves will destroy us in the long run.

My .02

Bill Out