49 replies to this topic

#1 must

must

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:all Thompsons, M1 carbines, & early Mustangs

Posted 12 January 2004 - 02:53 AM

I think my favorite Thompson movie is 'Objective Burma' ('Guadalcanal diary'is in second place). I guess you can tell that my favorite Thompson is the M1 version! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#2 M1tommygun

M1tommygun

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Military history especially WW2. Firearms. Some aviation and muscle cars.

Posted 12 January 2004 - 05:10 AM

My favorite Thompson movies are 'Kelly's Heros', which started my extreme like of the M1 tommy, 'Saving Private Ryan', and the 'Band of Brothers' series. 'Objective Burma' is a very good movie, but I have not seen it in a very long time. I am waiting on the movie based on the great book 'Ghost Soldiers' to come out soon. I hope it will have some good Thompson shots in it. They were used by a number of the 6th Rangers in the raid.

Scott

#3 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4581 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 12 January 2004 - 06:46 AM

I would have to say "Band of Brothers" is my favorite. But "Oh brother where art thou?" is my next best.

#4 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 12 January 2004 - 07:05 AM

For me it would have to be (and this is very subjective) that three movies tie for first: 1.)Miller's Crossing(1990), 2.)Kelly's Heroes(1970), and 3.)Legends Of The Fall(1994).

#5 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:03 AM

Here is the cover photo for Miller's Crossing, a truly powerful film. smile.gif blink.gif cool.gif

Attached Files

#6 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:11 AM

Here is a photo from Miller's Crossing, of a particularly nasty, menacing, enforcer named Eddy Dane.

Attached Files

#7 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4581 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 12 January 2004 - 09:04 AM

I forgot about Miller's Crossing. Great Thompson action in it. Very good flick. I would recommend going out and buying it.

#8 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3479 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 12 January 2004 - 11:17 AM

"bataan' robert taylor, Lloyd nolan,maybe because i owned one of the m.g.m.guns from that movie...

also charles bronson,tony curtis,in 'You can't win them all" the most thompson action in a movie,even have them packed in crate's,thompson gunner's on horseback........and a good scene of a merc shooting one in each hand with drum's at a plane,

but in "bataan"they shoot down a zero with a thompson...he is the same actor who played in the "fighting sullivan's.he was the father of the five brother's....sad but good movie....

and "mobster's and "dillinger'with warren oates ,ben johnson,and richard dreyfuss, all good action movies,along with 'edge of darkness"

even "road to perdition"and this one has the first silent thompson action,{in the rain}near the end.........wink

anyhow a hundred others i could mention.......and remember even cagney never fired one in all his movies,just carried one in G-men.............in the backseat of the ford...............take care,ron

#9 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3479 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 11:23 AM

funny story you mention 'MILLER'S CROSSING"

bill helmer and myself,went to see that pic together when it was released in some old broken down chicago theatre...at the time it seemed CLASSIC............seeing this pic with the guy who wrote the book..........

i popped for the corn...............tho stale,however it was a great movie.......even bill said that was a good movie.......

good time's..............take care,ron

#10 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 12 January 2004 - 12:19 PM

I`d put in a vote for `The Longest Day`and Dillon`s `Fire Storm`

#11 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 06:42 PM

The first of The Godfather triology.

#12 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 12 January 2004 - 09:38 PM

Oh, by all means "Millers Crossing"...
Some of the best Thompson footage ( really surreal, how many rounds did that L type hold when he was dumping it into the car??!!)..
Good stuff!
Zamm

#13 Earle

Earle

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Firearms from BB guns to Class 3
    Lionel Trains
    Harleys and Corvettes
    US Navy - Retired

Posted 12 January 2004 - 09:45 PM

"The Devil's Brigade" William Holden, Vince Edwards, Cliff Robertson.

WWII action, lots of Thompsons.

Earle

#14 junglewalk

junglewalk

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:The 98k rifle, MP-40 & 44; the Thompson.......reloading, HO scale military miniatures.......

Posted 12 January 2004 - 09:58 PM

I must have been the only one here who has seen 'Windtalkers'. The NCO's assigned to protect the code talkers have Thompsons, and use them quite well, in and around the other marines Garands & carbines, in desperate fighting with the Japanese. N/Cage even changes magazines many times.........I must be a lot younger than you old guys........jw biggrin.gif

#15 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 11:07 PM

Junglewalk,
"Windtalkers" was a good movie with excellent Tommy scenes, especially in the begining, but it died at the box office.

Bronson's "You can't win em all" was also a cool movie, but they never put it on TV anymore.

"Castle Keep" has good all around WWII gun scenes, especially a Browning .50 downing an armed observation plane.

"Men in War" has Aldo Ray wielding a 1928A1 with great precesion against the Commies in Korea.

Alan Ladd's film "Thunder In the East" is all about a stash of 1928 Thompsons fought being over between rebels and an Indian ruler.

"Crash Dive" with Tyrone Power & Dana Andrews has 1928 TSMGs with L drums. They might have been Colt Navy guns, but they had vertical grips

#16 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 13 January 2004 - 12:12 AM

Kelly's Heroes
Band of Brothers
Farewell to the King
Too Late the Hero

#17 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3479 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 12:26 AM

hey guys for general thompson's sake.........i was not going to list all the thompson movie's............i have seen and just about have them all.............on dvd and vhs,and God forbid!! beta!!!

they are all good.....and bronson's "machinegun kelly" is great...he uses a mod.27 semi...................and even robert blake wielded one..................lets see how good you guys are,along with nick adam's,robert conrad, and fabian forte.guess the two pic's................
wink!!

even andy griffiths barney fife....used one...........yep!!!barney watch wer'sya points that thang!!

take care,ron

#18 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4581 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:53 AM

That was the 'Young Dillinger' movie with old Nick"I'll take a shot to the head" Adams. very bad movie with the only factual thing behind it was he used the name Dillinger.

#19 M1tommygun

M1tommygun

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Military history especially WW2. Firearms. Some aviation and muscle cars.

Posted 13 January 2004 - 12:19 PM

Man O man, I forgot about 'Farewell to the King'. It is one of my favorites. 'Windtalkers' was an ok movie. It did have some good scenes in it. I was wondering about the 500 shot 50 round drum he had in his tommy in the opening scene. Where can one be obtained and how many were produced biggrin.gif ? I have not seen too many of the gangster movies listed here. Oh yea, did I see right, or am I crazy in that in the movie 'U571' did they have folding stock Thompsons in it? I could have swore I saw some.

Scott

#20 Poprivit

Poprivit

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:36 PM

How 'bout something on TV? I just watched Mail Call and Ermy got to play with a Tommy and a MP-40(?). Question ... who has to be on hand when those guns are used on TV or in films? The owner, the owner's employee, or what? I know they just can't drop them off and lock 'em up at night.