Public Enemies

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well piss! Price of the 1907's will jump up again.

I've been trying to find good Winchester 1907's for several years now. I've had about 10 or 12 in the past ten years now. I got two from the PD in Wv when I bought that M1 from them. I love these guns. I'm down to two right now. They are heavy, bitch mag to load and dead nuts on for a gun that is up to 100 years old.

Well piss! Price of the 1907's will jump up again.

I've been trying to find good Winchester 1907's for several years now. I've had about 10 or 12 in the past ten years now. I got two from the PD in Wv when I bought that M1 from them. I love these guns. I'm down to two right now. They are heavy, bitch mag to load and dead nuts on for a gun that is up to 100 years old.

Sad but true - Using my 1897 Winchester, I routinely beat skeet shooters armed with Benelli's and other modern guns. I bought my first pre-1900 shotgun through the mail and paid $75 for it (ahh, those were the days...) But once Cowboy Action Shooting started become a force to be reckoned with, those guns and those prices vanished like campaign promises.

Notice how the reporter politely call Depp a liar about his Thompson experience as a child?

"I believe as talented an actor as he is, Johnny Depp was using some of his improvisational skills when he told Rachel Abramowitz that he fired a relative's Thompson machine gun when he was 5 or 6 years old ("The Outlaw," June 28). Depp was born in 1963, and ever since the National Firearms Act of 1934, it has been illegal for civilians to own fully automatic weapons in this country without being specifically licensed by the U.S. Treasury Department, a complicated process in which permission is rarely given. Movie studios may possess such weapons, but they have been specially altered with gas and spring devices that permit them to shoot only blanks. "

I sent her a few thoughts on how he may have really had this happen with a vet bring back or any registered gun and cleared up her understanding of the NFA laws. Within ten minutes I got the following reply;

"I appreciate your letter!!!!!! I assumed that it was either a historical artifact or "illegal" gun not that depp was a liar."

I just couldn't leave it alone..... :soap:

Notice how the reporter politely call Depp a liar about his Thompson experience as a child?

"I believe as talented an actor as he is, Johnny Depp was using some of his improvisational skills when he told Rachel Abramowitz that he fired a relative's Thompson machine gun when he was 5 or 6 years old ("The Outlaw," June 28). Depp was born in 1963, and ever since the National Firearms Act of 1934, it has been illegal for civilians to own fully automatic weapons in this country without being specifically licensed by the U.S. Treasury Department, a complicated process in which permission is rarely given. Movie studios may possess such weapons, but they have been specially altered with gas and spring devices that permit them to shoot only blanks. "

I sent her a few thoughts on how he may have really had this happen with a vet bring back or any registered gun and cleared up her understanding of the NFA laws. Within ten minutes I got the following reply;

"I appreciate your letter!!!!!! I assumed that it was either a historical artifact or "illegal" gun not that depp was a liar."

I just couldn't leave it alone..... :soap:

Good job Bro.....

This may sound odd, but I have always thought it was a good thing that most of the press and public thought that owning Thompsons and other full-autos was "illegal". If they thought it was legal, it's more likely that they would move to outlaw it.

On a more pleasant aspect of the issue of Johnny Depp and firearms, this was in the "BulletPoints" newsletter of the National Shooting Sports Foundation:

JOHNNY DEPP SAYS HE'LL INTRODUCE HIS CHILDREN TO SHOOTING . . . Actor Johnny Depp, star of movies such as "Pirates of the Caribbean," says he grew up plinking, starting at about age six in his native Kentucky. He would like to pass along the interest in shooting to his 10-year-old daughter and seven-year-old son, reports the Indo-Asian News Service. "I will most certainly take my kids out for target practice," Depp said.

(Why this was in the "Indo-Asian News Service I have no idea.)

It's another good reason to go see "Dillenger".

Joel

Was tooling down the road today looking to get a fresh stash of cigars when I saw an old sedan sitting by the road. Looked great, so I stopped by on my way back, it was for sale....a 1932 Olds 4 dr sedan ....all original with all the wood framing and even original wood spoked wheels....in dark blue and black...even had the roll up curtains in the rear....all I could think of was hanging on to the window frame, riding the running board with my 1928 in my hand.......and I don't even look like Johnny Depp, but boy that would be cool!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3361/3593295142_7ae8ef85f0.jpg

I can see you in that, Joe.... ;) ...BTW, how much was he askin' for it?

Rob

This may sound odd, but I have always thought it was a good thing that most of the press and public thought that owning Thompsons and other full-autos was "illegal". If they thought it was legal, it's more likely that they would move to outlaw it.

Joel

I see your point. I think maybe from now on I'll let sleeping dogs lie.

Joel

I see your point. I think maybe from now on I'll let sleeping dogs lie.

Of course on the other side of the coin is the thought that if people already think it is illegal to own machine guns there will not be any resistance when pols make a move to actually make ownership illegal.

Hey ya Rob, he wanted 20K for it, I thought that was pretty much in the park since it was so original, and the wood and interior materials were pristeen.

Yeah, sounds like a good price, Joe....I've been scoping out some vintage early 30's car deals down here, and that price sounds like it's in the ballpark....just gotta finish my GPW and cop car restos first.... :rolleyes:

Rob

Went to see the movie again yesterday. I noticed in the scene where Depp pulls out the 28 recoil spring assy. he sets the grip frame down and the mag catch has a hole in it. Also, in the woods after the Little Bohemia shootout he holds up his Thompson and it appears that the grip mount is the two piece riveted style. :nono: Can't wait to pause this on DVD.

I have it on e-mail alert at Amazon along with a few other movies that just opened in the theater. The picture and sound quality is far better at home as well.

Yeah, it's going to look and feel better on digital projection (if you have a theatre near you, it's worth seeing it that way) or, on DVD through a HD plasma or LCD TV. I'm just not crazy about the way digital video transfers to film projection. I'm sure it lost a considerable degree of what the image was supposed to look like.

I saw it today. Good gun handling and action, but I just wish it was a little more to some of the real details.

And I know Michael Mann has made a bookoo millions in movies. For God's sake man, Mann, buy a freakin' steady cam and learn to use it. I thought my eyes were going to go crossed watching some of this!

Couple of receiver shots....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/ghostsoldier/PUBLIC%20ENEMIES/vlcsnap-205656.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/ghostsoldier/PUBLIC%20ENEMIES/vlcsnap-205793.jpg

(Best I can do until the DVD comes out.... ;) )

Rob

Mike ,I agree with you, its almost like motion sickness, and the close up shots don't help, but I loved the shooting of the Tommy Guns

see ya

Tino

Couple of receiver shots....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/ghostsoldier/PUBLIC%20ENEMIES/vlcsnap-205656.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/ghostsoldier/PUBLIC%20ENEMIES/vlcsnap-205793.jpg

(Best I can do until the DVD comes out.... ;) )

Rob

Those almost look like holes. Does that gun even have a ejector in it ?

I saw it today. Good gun handling and action, but I just wish it was a little more to some of the real details.

Hey Mike,

I agree with you. The historical time line of the deaths of the various gang members was way off. It ruined the movie for me. The Thompson scenes were good and the movie had a period feel, but other than that it was a waste of time.

As a big fan of the book I was dissapponted but not surprised by the movies footloose use of the facts. There was no way the book could be covered in a 90 minute movie. As GIJIVE said the timeline of the deaths of gang members was way off. It has Nelson being killed while escaping Little Bohemia which occurred in April. Nelson had his shootout with the FBI in November and Purvis was nowhere around. I enjoyed the movie but again recommend everyone read the book to get the real story.