Transfer Times.....

Tokarev57

I'm still waiting on my 1928 Thompson, and it went pending May 5th last year.

Buddy, there must be some issue with your transfer. I would call the NFA Branch at 304-616-4500 with the S/N and make an inquiry.....ASAP!

I have approvals from mid-November 2014 in hand now.

Are the times on form 4s for machine guns and suppressors different? I thought they would be the same being on the same form. Why I ask is I just picked up a can from my dealer having only waited 90 days.

No difference in my experience. F4 xfer times have been running 90 to 120 days for me lately. Fastest ever for me was 6 weeks for a can in 2010. In general I thinks the good old days are here again for wait times.

I have no proof of this, but I believe that machinegun transfers must be approved by some of the "seasoned" examiners and not the new hires. I am seeing many new names on forms

received in the past 6 months. Silencers seem to have the most "new" names at the bottom of the forms and the MGs still have the ones I remember from years ago.

I believe that the background of the MGs must be researched before the final approval is given.

I'm still waiting on my 1928 Thompson, and it went pending May 5th last year.

Buddy, there must be some issue with your transfer. I would call the NFA Branch at 304-616-4500 with the S/N and make an inquiry.....ASAP!

I have approvals from mid-November 2014 in hand now.

Just called today, it was approved March 4th. All is well.

I've got 3 SBR's from the end of Oct 14 I'm waiting -hopefully will get them soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up two more yesterday. Just under 3 months for those. Pending 22 Dec 14 and approved on 15 Mar 15.

Not to sound paranoid, but I wonder if they are going too fast? Maybe to accidentally let something get by that normally wouldn't have?

Picked up from my C3FFL this afternoon my North Korea-manufactured PPSh-41 and my Smith & Wesson model 76. Although I had mailed the two Forms 4 in separately on December 15, they apparently had been processed together. Details:

1. NFA item: machine guns (2)
2. Form Type: paper Forms 4
3. Transferee Type: Living Trust
4. Forms Mailed: 12/15/14
5. Approved Date: 03/12/15
6. Received Date: 3/28/15

Three-and-a-half months start to finish. Exactly the same as my last Form 4 turnaround, Oct 2014 to Jan 2015.

• 1 month later...

Paper Form 4 for a MAS 38.

Mailed - 10/03/14

Pending - 10/06/14

Check Cleared - 10/07/14

Error Letter Issued by BATFE - 03/18/15 (wanted Description of Firearm Box 4d-Model to show "1938" vice "MAS 38" Also wanted new fingerprints. The fingerprints were done digitally at the Sheriff's Dept., and deemed "not good" First time out of 9 times this digital image type was rejected. But, this set was a bit light.)

Corrected Form 4s and new fingerprint cards mailed - 03/28/15

Approved - 04/28/15

Approved by Ashley L. Newcome. Transferred from VA to TN

• 4 weeks later...

Pending March 17, 2015

Background cleared may 29, 2015

Approved June 14, 2015

Waiting on the mailman to deliver my form to the dealer so I can pick it up. Note-they are working on weekends to try and get the backlog whittled down.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just heard from my SOT yesterday. Approved form 4 for my Thompson is here. Mailed May 22nd. Check cashed May29th. Emailed me July 30. Will pick it up Sunday and see what the approval date is.

That seems pretty fast.

Just heard from my SOT yesterday. Approved form 4 for my Thompson is here. Mailed May 22nd. Check cashed May29th. Emailed me July 30. Will pick it up Sunday and see what the approval date is.

That seems pretty fast.

Damn. I am jealous.in addition to the form 4 for my M1A1 that's been pending since March 31st, I mailed a form 4 for a suppressor on March 17th that I haven't seen yet. ATF just cashed the check on an M1 form 4 this week and I have a 1928 and an MP40 waiting on form 3 transfers to my dealer so I can begin the form 4s on them. I didn't start out with the intention but I think I am filling the pipeline so I get a new present every month or so.

That seems pretty fast.

Damn. I am jealous.in addition to the form 4 for my M1A1 that's been pending since March 31st, I mailed a form 4 for a suppressor on March 17th that I haven't seen yet. ATF just cashed the check on an M1 form 4 this week and I have a 1928 and an MP40 waiting on form 3 transfers to my dealer so I can begin the form 4s on them. I didn't start out with the intention but I think I am filling the pipeline so I get a new present every month or so.

Just picked up the Thompson.

Approval date is 16 July

Mailed in my Form 4 (living trust) for a Sten gun March 16. Form approved 7/29, received by my C3FFL on 8/4.

About four-and-a-half months start to finish. This is a month longer than processing for my last three Forms 4.

Sent in four Form 5s (dewats)on May 15. Two going to one trust and two going to a different trust.

First two arrived June 8, three weeks.

The remaining two were approved July 29, when I called, but have yet to arrive. Each was sent with a memo explaining minor corrections to the descriptions on the original forms. First two approved without question. Examiner on the second two requested a signed letter from the current possessor confirming the corrected/change description. The 1968 forms had listed "unknown" on makers, and "?" As the caliber on one. OAL was blank on all 1968 forms. I guess different examiners handle those types of things differently, but I thought it was a good idea to have the new forms be as complete and accurate as possible. Note for others, might have saved time if I would have just had the current possessor sign the memo explaining the corrections in the first place.

Edited by wwiifirearms

Over the last many years I have had a few forms where the description was not completely correct. I always waited until the form was approved to me before I sent in a notice of correction. At least i had the gun in hand while ATF researched the change. My 2 cents worth