Colt Thompson's on Gun Broker

Numbers matching makes it "restorable" - in my opinion. Otherwise you would never find the original lower to match.

Barrel would have not been numbered so a few still exist to restore to the gun.

With that info he gave D Lansky, I have to say we for the most part know all what is / isn't in this gun.

And Jim C nailed it - for West Hurley $$$ it would be a great buy. But what is WH $$ these days? And will it sell for WH $$?

We will know at 8:00 tomorrow... or maybe later...

Just over 9 hours to go, and it's sitting now at 20,001 dollars. I have a feeling it will go for more. I was going to bid but now I'm reluctant.

The last Colt Thompson SMG I watched on Gunbroker, not too long ago, sold at a higher than I expected price and then, according to the seller (not the same dealer as in this one), the buyer did not pay. The gun was then sold without using Gunbroker at a significantly higher price than the ending bid on Gunbroker. That tells me several possible things, none of which results in much confidence for me in the Gunbroker buying process. You never know who you're bidding against with GB.

Ended at 23,635. With all that's needed to bring it back to original, I don't think so.

Also included: the $200.00 shipping charge.

I was able to view some higher resolution photos and views not shown in the auction ad.

There are deep enough rust spots on both sides of the frame and receiver to make a full restoration expense ultimately frustrating.

The number of scratches on the pivot plate area rival the bottom of a litter box.

Makes me wonder why the frame was apart so many times by unskilled hands.

All this still makes a good candidate for a shooter with history; maybe somebody here knows the buyer.

What have we become $30,000 for all that no way.. better guns have gone for less. not sure what Neal Smiths Ohio gun went for last year with bank robbery history..but man that had history. this one a cobbled together mess. pride of ownership..I guess I have owned and had too many nice Colts in the past.this current stuff scares me. God please protect all future Thompson owner's from bad ideas to turn a sows ear into something workable..

if I had 3 million in the bank I would not buy this mess. well maybe if it was 30 million.. then I could donate to the do not buy museum...

are we now that desperate to purchase crap....................or some just never really learn.. you can't teach "Wise

Ron Colt 21a

p.s also if a member here bought it. you should have contacted me first. At least I would always tell you the truth.

Edited by colt21a

As difficult as it may be for many on this forum to comprehend, not everyone on this forum wants a mint and matching Thompson. A gun that only comes out of the safe on days of low humidity and is handled with white gloves.

Many here just want a gun to take out to the country and have a really great time blasting away with, without worrying about bulging a barrel or dinging a stock.

The gun in question is such a gun.

Did the buyer pay to much?? No, he did not. He paid exactly what the gun was worth to him. Of those who said he paid too much, show me where one of these people offered him a better gun for less.

In order for the full time dealers to put food on the table they must constantly maintain and sell an inventory. In order to get that inventory they must constantly pay more and therefore sell at higher prices. There are people asking more for West Hurleys than this gun sold for.

Of course all of this panic buying and selling can be laid at the feet of our "Dear Leader", BHO.

Jim C

I just don't think Gunbroker is really the place to get a good deal. At least it's unusual to get a good deal there. Although, James Julia auctions are even worse.

I've bought (2) Thompsons through Frank's Guns, a Navy and a Savage commercial, both are excellent guns. He was some what on my side as in being

a broker and dealing with the owners. His communication was excellent and he stood behind the deal, with the long transfers times and unscrupulous sellers,

that says a lot. I'd use him again if I was interested in another.

-Darryl

Edited by darrylta

I just don't think Gunbroker is really the place to get a good deal. At least it's unusual to get a good deal there. Although, James Julia auctions are even worse.

Ughh - you are bidding on Franks 28... yes...??

I am very happy with the 21AC that Frank found for me.

He provided excellent photo's and a personal guarantee .

Some times he's a little slow responding but I think that's because he stays busy.

Most of his Gun Broker auctions are no reserve with a penny to start- I feel like that is more than fair to a serious buyer and it gives us a good idea of what the actual market is for certain guns.

Y'all watch out for me on the 28A1- it looks like a shooter that you could be proud to own.

Damn Thompsonitus!

Ughh - you are bidding on Franks 28... yes...??

I did bid. I'm not saying you can't get a good deal on Gunbroker. My contention is that you usually won't. We will see how high it goes. I'm not insane. But this does look like a nice package.

the guy started the auction at one penny, and it topped out at $23,000

Well, what conclusion would you draw from that?

Who set the final price? The seller or the buyers?

Everyone forgets that gunbroker is a national swap meet, the prices are set by the two guys out of 350,000,000 who want the gun the most.

Those two guys are probably not going to be Thompson experts and they're not going to be guys who sweat over a couple of grand

The fact that you're bidding against uninformed buyers can work in your favor. If the seller posts up an ugly picture of a valuable gun, he might not get many bidders and you might walk away with a real bargain.

I bought a gun on gunbroker for $750, a couple years later took some excellent pictures in strong sunlight and got $1600 for the gun.

How many people on this board are going to list any class 3 transferable gun with out a reserve and then sit back and hope it brings a good price? Just Frank?

Probably somewhere between few and none. The people on this board are mostly collectors, not dealers. They buy guns because they love guns.

Frank buys guns because he loves money. The quicker he can buy and sell the more money he makes. Franks looses on some ,but makes big profit on most. When Frank buys a real winner he will set a reserve and he sets a reserve on almost all small parts.

I hope you understand now.

Merry Christmas.

Jim C

Frank isn't always buying; he's brokering. His risk on brokered auctions is zero.

Whatever the owner's gun sells for, he gets a percentage.

I would gladly sell my spare Thompson parts at the reserve prices in his ads.

Want to also mention: I have talked to Frank a few times; he has always been patient and helpful,

even if I was not looking to buy something.

Edited by mnshooter

I have bought a gun from Frank (pre Gun Broker) and I have spoke with him many times. Just implying more than questioning. I am not a fan of the Gun Broker auction style on High END items. You never know who you are bidding against or who is running the price up. I am a skeptic by nature. I find it hard to believe someone is going to list a 30k item and hope it bring fair market. Just me not trying to offend anyone. If you have had success and it works for you that is great. This discussion probably belongs on a different board than this one so thank you for your responses.