Gordon Herigstad Passed Away This Morning...

Gordon was truly tireless in his efforts to educate the rest of us regarding Colt TSMGs.

He purchased his first Colt 21A ( #338 ) from me when I started breaking up my Thompson collection in 1994. This gun was originally sold in June 1921 to the DeBardeleben Coal Company in Birmingham, AL.

Gordon is the only one I knew who could spend the enormous amounts of time keeping up with the history of Colt Tommys.

I doubt we will see another individual dedicate as much of their life to the Colt T guns.

He has earned a rest. RIP

Rest in Peace Gordon, you were a gentlemen as in Old School, the few times I had the pleasure of dealing with you , reminded me that there are still people on this planet who treat others with honor and respect. You surely will be missed

I am sorry that I never met the man, but I had heard stories about him from my other Thompson friends and I am positive he will be missed by all those that knew him

I will say "Rest in Peace" Gordon and thank you for all your work in the Thompson field.

Edited by wv1928

I was fortunate to meet Gordon 3 times, including one full day in 2008 when we shot Thompsons and 1911's together. He really liked one of my 1911's, and put at least 200 rounds through it himself. Somewhere, I have a bunch of pictures of him shooting, and I'll post them when I find them. I thought I had them on my hard drive, but apparently they are on another computer, and I'm away from home at the moment. Gordon will be missed.

Gordon was always receptive to information about Colt Thompsons, and I hope we can all continue in the quest. I'd like to volunteer this site as the repository for new information in his absence. Perhaps we could start a pinned post on the informational board (3rd board down) that documents any new Colts that are not included in his books, Tracie's book, and Roger Cox's book.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I found the photos of Gordon that I mentioned. They were from 2006, not 2008 as I originally remembered. I couldn't find any of him firing one of my 1911's that he became infatuated with, but I have several of him firing a Colt Thompson.

Rest In Peace, Gordon...

Gordon_C-Drum_2006.jpg

Here are two taken during the same L-drum dump...We were firing incendiary bullets. In the second photo, one of the bullets detonated prematurely in the compensator. I like the effect, and just happened to catch it at the right time.

The person seated to the left of Gordon is Warren Kreiser, who also passed away in the last couple of years.

Gordon-2.jpg.jpgGordon-Detonation.jpg.jpg

I will probably add these as memorial photos for Gordon in the pinned post I started for new Colt serial numbers on the third board down in the Thompson section.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

We helped Gordon with the SFPD Thompsons gathering paperwork and such a few years ago, as he was trying unsuccessfully for years to get a look-see. He personally appraised our Colts at one of the many Western TCM shoots that Don Hall put on over the years. If you can please order his latest book as it is fantastic...

Glad to have known him...

DT

Gordon although never met him have ordered some of his parts and just ordered his new books. He will be missed by all in the Thompson family.

Does anyone know if someone will continue selling his parts? I know its early, didn't know if a family member would take over and continue with that end of his business.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Like everyone in our Thompson community, I too was saddened to hear of Gordon's passing. It was just so unexpected. Gordon performed original research, always bringing new information to the community. His last book is certainly a testament to his passion for everything Thompson.

I found his obituary and thought I would share it with the Board. Gordon led an interesting life.

http://portlandtribune.com/obit/185-mop-obituaries/259464-131117-gordon-herigstad

He and I share the same birthday, 9/14

I received his latest book set, I'm sure it will

a joy to read when I have time.

RIP,

Darryl

Sad news ..................

I had not been on the Board for a while - and believe it or not I was planning on emailing Gordon today as I just saw a TV programme where he located the Dillinger Gun and got it back to Indiana :(

I never met Gordon - but we spoke at the end of last year when I contacted him to ask if he would ever be making any more Viola cases.........

I acknowledged that I had 'missed the boat' by a few years and would likely NEVER find one for sale ..................... anyhows - he must have liked me - as he contacted me a week later and said he had a case for me !!!!!!

It made it's way to me here in Calgary about a month later and is SPLENDID !

A buddy came to look at it today and I told him about Gordon :(

I am so glad he got to see the fruits of his labours and his 'baby' got published

RIP Gordon

Roy

Edited by Harrington-Cook

Gordon was an amazing man and his fervency and zeal for Thompson history I do not think can be surpassed. I only wish I could of met the man; may he rest in peace under the clods of the valley. I am looking forward to owning his previous book. I love his Thompson reproduction items; very much attention to detail.

I have somehow misplaced my replica Colt Thompson Ejector for my next project and I am going to need one! I went to Gordon's website to check to see if he has them still and the website is currently closed, just to let everyone know.

Edited by Kocapuff1

Great pic, David. Rest in peace G Man.....

Gordon Herigstad-Detonation.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I come here today after months away. and read this. God WHY?

many conversation's, e-mails, phone calls, letter's over the past 25 years, and many a year'sand great times at SAR show with Gordon. besides him coming out to the house to talk Thompsons. now Gordon has passed, and my other good friend Dennis Demark, Danny Rewer's, Frank Watson, have all joined together now.

it is kind of too much for me to take. i had a few voice mail calls I missed.....and it was probably about this.. Gordon may God hold you in the palm of his hand.and grant you the peace that could never be on this earth.

I have no other words to say.......Ron

• Upvote 1