1928 Vertical Grip

I'm certainly not an expert on dimensions etc., but the 2 screw holes on the left side of the grip would (to me) indicate possibly British use since they used the sling in that manner for fastening. I'm sure others will chime in with dimensions info and much more. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like a repro grip that a collector mounted a sling swivel on.

As a matter of fact I have a Sarco or IMA repro grip that I mounted a sling swivel on.

Mine looks almost the same except I did a much nicer job of inletting the swivel.

I'll never sell mine because its extremely rare.

Jim C

Repop.

Looked at a very authentic looking vertical grip like this at the SAR show last weekend. CC will attest that it looked original, until I picked it up. It was like picking up styrofoam. It weighed nothing. It was a quarter or the weight of an original. It was wood, but not sure what kind.

• 1 month later...

He put another up for sale, I can almost smell the fresh coat of dark purple-ish stain from here.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/743545170

been modified for a lefty.

As for the 3d, printer or Router. I can see these being easily made on a 3d router, printer not so much.

"original, until I picked it up. It was like picking up styrofoam." could of been bass wood, in case the grip was stolen, there would be no huge loss.

He put another up for sale, I can almost smell the fresh coat of dark purple-ish stain from here.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/743545170

been modified for a lefty.

As for the 3d, printer or Router. I can see these being easily made on a 3d router, printer not so much.

"original, until I picked it up. It was like picking up styrofoam." could of been bass wood, in case the grip was stolen, there would be no huge loss.

I think they originally came with the sling swivel on the right side (watching as if youre aiming the Thompson) but later modified by soldiers because the sling would probably get in the way while aiming. Most of these seems to have holes on both sides.. just my personal opinion.

Look, this guy, ( International Antiques), has been caught red-handed counter-fitting numerous grips and has been banned from this board. It's a forgery. he has been using the posts, knowledge and photographs of the collectors here that have posted detailed information about authentic grips and using that to prey upon unsuspecting Thompson lovers.

He has seen that some collectors are willing to pay very high dollar amount for a small scrap of wood and he is doing his best to supply these to people eager to have a rare grip. I won't mince words, he is a thief and criminal. Don't fall for it.

Mike Hammer

Look, this guy, ( International Antiques), has been caught red-handed counter-fitting numerous grips and has been banned from this board. It's a forgery. he has been using the posts, knowledge and photographs of the collectors here that have posted detailed information about authentic grips and using that to prey upon unsuspecting Thompson lovers.

He has seen that some collectors are willing to pay very high dollar amount for a small scrap of wood and he is doing his best to supply these to people eager to have a rare grip. I won't mince words, he is a thief and criminal. Don't fall for it.

Mike Hammer

You are completely wrong. I know the guy and bought off him multiple times and all the material i have got was legit. The grip shown in the ad is completely legit and original and i would bet a hand on that. To counterfet an

item like this you really need some magic spell to get everything in such a perfect manner. I would like to see the proofs of the many counterfet grips you are talking of.

I would like to call experts to share their opinion on the incriminated item listen on GB.

I am not defending anyone but trying to say that the grip listed is a fake, is like trying to say that Christ (amen) died of cold

Edited by RChapman

Mike Hammer

You are completely wrong. I know the guy and bought off him multiple times and all the material i have got was legit. The grip shown in the ad is completely legit and original and i would bet a hand on that. To counterfet an

item like this you really need some magic spell to get everything in such a perfect manner. I would like to see the proofs of the many counterfet grips you are talking of.

I would like to call experts to share their opinion on the incriminated item listen on GB.

I am not defending anyone but trying to say that the grip listed is a fake, is like trying to say that Christ (amen) died of cold

RChapman, you need to do a search here about previous offerings from this fellow and how he was caught listing and selling forgeries and you will see the proof.

Do you think he would have been banned from this prestigious board if he wasn't proven to be underhanded? You know him...he is in Europe, you don't know him, you may have purchased something from him, but you don't know him.

Listen, I can recreate a Colt grip, I have done it, it takes skill, time and knowledge, but it is not as impossible as you may think. Do as you please and continue to do business with him, but just be aware that when high dollar items are involved using cheap materials, there really are people out that will go to great lengths to take the time and trouble to make highly detailed forgeries.

Mike Hammer

• Upvote 1

Mike Hammer

RChapman, you need to do a search here about previous offerings from this fellow and how he was caught listing and selling forgeries and you will see the proof.

Do you think he would have been banned from this prestigious board if he wasn't proven to be underhanded? You know him...he is in Europe, you don't know him, you may have purchased something from him, but you don't know him.

Listen, I can recreate a Colt grip, I have done it, it takes skill, time and knowledge, but it is not as impossible as you may think. Do as you please and continue to do business with him, but just be aware that when high dollar items are involved using cheap materials, there really are people out that will go to great lengths to take the time and trouble to make highly detailed forgeries.

Mike Hammer

I personally think without listening both sides, its more easier than you think to ban a person on a board.

and I bet that your Colt replica, even if very, very good, wont be as precisely matching as a real Colt grip.

Thats the case with the wood now listed on GB, Its virtually impossible without having exactly the same tools used back then to reproduce the item so perfectly.

I follow the seller from a while and so far over the course of two years I have seen 5 vertical grips sold by him, this one being number 6. 4 were originals, made exception for one that was sold almost without a

description. And not advertised as original, which I have also found a post regarding it on this board.

Edited by RChapman

While this recent grip, the one currently on GB may be authentic, I see he's applied his signature (Minwax?) dark stain to the finish. When I bought my sanded fake from him (the one Devious posted, before he reshaped it and put it up for sale) the smell of the new stain was blatantly obvious. He also got himself tangled up in a web of lies that were revealed here in a past thread. I also suspect he's using a fake "S" stamp. A previous grip he listed had a (in my opinion) suspect S stamp, to me the font didn't look correct (Unless Savage used different style stamps). My Savage wood pieces ( vertical foregrip, horizontal grips, etc) have an S that has a slightly smaller upper loop than the lower loop. The stamp on the suspect grip he showed last time had perfectly evenly sized upper and lower loops. I may be a be a newb but I do have a keen eye for detail.

Pics are of my real deal vertical grip that I battled Huggy for. I can remove if anyone wants to see pics of the S stamp.

20180202_155145.jpg

20180202_155156.jpg

Edited by Skittorius

RChapman: People are not banned from this site lightly, for just suspicion of some wrongdoing. He was proved of making and selling forgeries, please do a search and you will find the previous threads. If someone has time, please list a link to them. I was just trying to inform people that this was the same fellow who was previously caught red-handed.

If you think the tools necessary to make a very convincing forgery from a small piece of wood are impossible when big money is involved you are greatly mistaken.

Mike Hammer