Nice looking Thompson for sale on Gunbroker

Rabbit57,

While the description is important, it is best to judge the gun. For $59,000 one would expect a very nice Colt Thompson submachine gun; NO 8857 is not that Colt. That said, it would make a nice shooter grade Colt at a much lower price. One of the biggest distractions is the inventory number that has been sloppily inscribed below the serial number with some type of electric pencil engraving tool. Most non-factory markings on the left side of a Colt Thompson really cause a big deduction in value. See picture below:

NO 8857 with arrow.jpg

Aside from the inventory number, the overall condition of this Colt is nowhere in the $59,000 range to an educated buyer. The police markings on the rear of the receiver are unusual but not unsightly or a problem. Unfortunately, the State of Washington does not allow for machine gun ownership by civilians so no real market there. The best feature of NO 8857 is the police hardcase but that still does not warrant a 59K price. The owner would probably do better to sell the hardcase separately. The two non-colt era L drums do not add value to a Colt.

I really like Bob's comment about the bolt. I would guess this Colt has been fired repeatedly by the police department over the years with the original buffer pilot assembly. No doubt the buffer discs are fully compressed and worn out. No pictures of the rear of the bolt. I would not be surprised to see wear on the rear of the bolt where the bolt probably contacted the buffer tube. Something definitely happened here, and it detracts from value.

My advice to those interested in a Colt Thompson would be to keep looking! That inventory number will not age well.

• Upvote 1

Owner who purchased the Colt from the Seattle P.D. in 2012 surely rescued it as in 2016 the new Seattle P.D. policy was to turn department firearms into manhole covers.

"In policy change, Seattle police to destroy unused guns instead of selling them

Originally published June 28, 2016
Instead of having guns be resold to the manufacturer or sent to other law-enforcement agencies, the Seattle City Council voted unanimously to destroy all unused guns in the Seattle Police Department."

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/in-policy-change-spd-to-destroy-unused-guns/

Arthur, so very true. Law enforcement agencies that hang on to properly registered Form 1 or Form 5 Thompson submachine guns because of the 'history' always run the chance that a future Chief, City Council or Sheriff will decide destruction is the best answer. When a Thompson gun enters the commercial marketplace, the chances for long term survival increase dramatically. What the St. Louis Police Department did several years ago with their Class 3 weapons was the perfect answer to shrinking police budgets. It was a lesson on how elected officials should treat government assets. Of course, no one ever accused the politicians in Seattle as being the smartest people in the world. You definitely get what you vote for!

The Seattle Police Department Thompson guns have been discussed on this forum. Search on the word "Seattle" and several threads will appear.

• 2 weeks later...

Rabbit57,

While the description is important, it is best to judge the gun. For $59,000 one would expect a very nice Colt Thompson submachine gun; NO 8857 is not that Colt. That said, it would make a nice shooter grade Colt at a much lower price. One of the biggest distractions is the inventory number that has been sloppily inscribed below the serial number with some type of electric pencil engraving tool. Most non-factory markings on the left side of a Colt Thompson really cause a big deduction in value. See picture below:

attachicon.gif NO 8857 with arrow.jpg

Aside from the inventory number, the overall condition of this Colt is nowhere in the $59,000 range to an educated buyer. The police markings on the rear of the receiver are unusual but not unsightly or a problem. Unfortunately, the State of Washington does not allow for machine gun ownership by civilians so no real market there. The best feature of NO 8857 is the police hardcase but that still does not warrant a 59K price. The owner would probably do better to sell the hardcase separately. The two non-colt era L drums do not add value to a Colt.

I really like Bob's comment about the bolt. I would guess this Colt has been fired repeatedly by the police department over the years with the original buffer pilot assembly. No doubt the buffer discs are fully compressed and worn out. No pictures of the rear of the bolt. I would not be surprised to see wear on the rear of the bolt where the bolt probably contacted the buffer tube. Something definitely happened here, and it detracts from value.

My advice to those interested in a Colt Thompson would be to keep looking! That inventory number will not age well.

wow! what a great observation