Richardson Grip or not?

There is a posting on Gunbroker for a Richardson reproduction vertical grip. It appears different in finish, and the "R" stamping is quite different. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/953871213

Recon Bob has sold a few of the Richardson grips recently, and hopefully he will comment. If I remember correctly, they sold for north of $500.

I do not know or have any connection with the seller, this is just my observation and opinion. Is it a true Richardson reproduction? Or a fake of a reproduction? LOL

Grip.jpg

RG.jpg

RG1.jpg

Edited by Colt Chopper
  • Like 2

I saw that one too. I have a Richardson Grip as well and it is NOT a Richardson Grip. Looks like someone is re-producing it and marking it to look like it. It is such a FAKE. Good call. 

• Like 1

Here are some photos of an original Richardson grip. I saved one for reference.

The big giveaway is the coarseness of the grain of the wood. 

Also the "R" and the swirl marks in the slot for the grip mount are also completely different -

the swirl marks are not present on a Richardson grip.

The grip in question looks like a $25.00 Sarco grip.

Bob

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

Edited by reconbob

7 hours ago, Motorcar said:

I saw that too but didn't have an original Richardson photo to compare, we are down to making fakes of repro's? Interesting possibility.

I never thought we'd be dealing with repros of repros.  I may need to revive and update the repro presentation...

I also have a Richardson grip in my collection.

David

I also have a Richardson grip and it matches Colt Choppers and Bob's grip, yes it does appear that now reproduction grips are being forged. I will say though that Doug's grips were great, hard to believe that those are selling for $500 nowadays. When the price goes high enough on something it makes it an attractive item to possibly forge and pass off as the real thing. it will be interesting to see what that grip goes for, hopefully people interested in it will seek this site for information before they bid.

R Stamp is different, Machine tool marks are off, not as "refined" as the real deal. 

If someone thinks they can make money, then you'll have fakers... even repos of repos.. its getting crazy out there.  I suspect it was an existing grip and someone just went to the harbor freight and got a R stamp. 

So we are to the point we are worried if a repo is a “correct repo”? Am I missing something here? Thought it only mattered if it was Colt, Savage, AOC, or other USGI suppliers. Now it’s down the the collectibility of the repo units and making sure they are correct repos? 

Im seriously not trying to be a smart ass on this, I’m wanting to understand the worry over this. 

19 minutes ago, Got Uzi said:

So we are to the point we are worried if a repo is a “correct repo”? Am I missing something here? Thought it only mattered if it was Colt, Savage, AOC, or other USGI suppliers. Now it’s down the the collectibility of the repo units and making sure they are correct repos? 

Im seriously not trying to be a smart ass on this, I’m wanting to understand the worry over this. 

A Richardson grip is a vey high quality reproduction of a Colt, and they carry a fairly high value. Thus the temptation to turn a $30 Pakistan grip into $500. Not a bad profit margin. If you don't "Smell the Stink" then I'm sorry.

So a near-perfect copy of La Gioconda using replica Renaissance materials is more valuable than a paint-by-numbers version.  I get that but let's not lose sight of the fact that neither one is a DaVinci.

Edited by StrangeRanger