Not mine, don't know the seller

Looks to be a very good example

All matching

Original bluing thin but mostly clean (one bad spot)

Perfect Bakelite

Amnesty registered

Someone please save my bank account and bid on this

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1029755691

1 hour ago, StrangeRanger said:

Not mine, don't know the seller

Looks to be a very good example

All matching

Original bluing thin but mostly clean (one bad spot)

Perfect Bakelite

Amnesty registered

Someone please save my bank account and bid on this

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1029755691

See my post on this.

I just looked at it. Very nice gun, I'd love to own it. Now, the seller should have said, "Very little original finish" as this gun has clearly seen better days. For me though, the #'s matching (except FP/recoil) means a lot, and the bakelite seems to fit the overall gun condition. 

I collect magazine pouches also, and this one really adds to the kit. Even though it's just 1/2 of the set, a single original pouch commands $1000 and IMO makes the kit. 

We'll see how it goes. If I bought it, I'd have to consult with Andrewski about conditioning. 

Before my wife and I got married, we had this conversation:

Her:  "You have a lot of guns.  Do you spend a lot on guns?"

Me:  "Yep, I've got a good bit of money spent on firearms.  Let me show you something."

Opens spreadsheet showing collection.

Me:  "Here is what I've spent on firearms, and down here is the current totals for what I spent versus current market value"

Her:  Looking at totals and increase.  "You know, I really don't have a problem with that.  Looks like a decent form of investing."

That's shortly before I proposed!

image.jpeg

• Like 2

LOL. Unfortunately while yall were getting good deals like that I was only in grade school. My only hope now would be the Hughes gets amended to open up the reg to C&R guns or repealed all together. 

1 hour ago, signal_4 said:

LOL. Unfortunately while yall were getting good deals like that I was only in grade school. My only hope now would be the Hughes gets amended to open up the reg to C&R guns or repealed all together. 

We all wish.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 9:04 PM, signal_4 said:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1030649913

this one just dropped. It looks great, Espically with the brown Bakelite. 

Not quite "untouched". The sling is on the wrong side, so we know the barrel nut has been loosened and the barrel removed at some point. Easily remedied. Looks like a nice piece!

I see the sling as, "it's installed backwards". It looks like mine, except it looks backwards. The quick disconnect should be at the front & adjustment buckle at the rear, with the loop retaining the QD rather than the buckle. Every historical photo and film I've seen show them that way. But, hey, I could be wrong. It's been known to happen, a LOT.

Karl, 68coupe

37 minutes ago, 68coupe said:

I see the sling as, "it's installed backwards". It looks like mine, except it looks backwards. The quick disconnect should be at the front & adjustment buckle at the rear, with the loop retaining the QD rather than the buckle. Every historical photo and film I've seen show them that way. But, hey, I could be wrong. It's been known to happen, a LOT.

Karl, 68coupe

TSMGguy means the front sling attach point has been swapped from the right side of the gun to the left side- something that can only take place by removing the barrel nut and barrel.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 68coupe said:

Karl, 68coupe

Hey, don't try to be wrong more than me! 

23 hours ago, 68coupe said:

Karl, 68coupe

Funny this is exactly how i have mine set up on my tube gun, with the front sling mount on the left side.   It was easy to loosen my barrel nut and then rotate the sling mount  over to the left side.  Andrewski informed me you should only have to tighten the barrel nut snug by hand and no need to tighten with a wrench.  I followed his advice and no issues.  I prefer the front sling mount on the left side and feels more comfortable to me when I sling it over my shoulder.  Regarding the how the sling should be correctly installed, I have seen period phots of the sling going both ways and with the front mount on the left side but most on the right.  My sling is a post WW2 austrian which is a bit longer than the original german.  I like having the extra length.  

35 minutes ago, Maxim said:

MP38.png MP38 sling on right side.

Yep, most are on the right side.  Here is a photo of the sling with the quick detach in the rear of the weapon.

image.jpeg.7656864c9ed12b123c67809387ab4ba9.jpeg

Front sling mount on left side, quick detach front (I think) for this German Paratrooper.  So I think all the variations are period correct, depends on the soldier and what was comfortable to them.

image.jpeg.aa4b904454a3d35de622cba3562252a7.jpeg

Edited by NFA amnesty

The sling mount was always factory installed oriented right. The barrel nut was tightened with a wrench and the barrel nut washer was staked in position. Many other components were staked or peened too, to prevent loosening in service and to prevent soldiers from disassembling the guns past field strip.

If a finger tight barrel nut was intended, there would be no wrench flats on the nut. It would be knurled instead. It doesn't make much sense to mount the sling on the left as it interferes with hand placement and can foul the bolt handle. All of that said, the gun was designed so that the sling mount could be oriented either way. 

Edited by TSMGguy

25 minutes ago, TSMGguy said:

... It doesn't make much sense to mount the sling on the left ...

Sure it does.  I was tired of getting hit in the face with hot as hell, ejected, fired 9mm cases.  The sling went on the left and huzzah, no more hot brass in my face.

20190212-153116.jpg

20190212-153140.jpg