I've found two guns that I would consider buying, a Postal Meter M2 Carbine conversion and an original S&W model 76, I can buy either one for virtually the same money.  Both transferrable,  They both are in great condition and I guess what I'm asking is the opinions as to the future value of each, since I have examples of each already.  IMO the carbines aren't moving much, while the 76 seems to be inching up a bit every year, but that could be wildly off.  Just thought I'd start the discussion and get everyone's thoughts.

I’d go with another S&W 76 hands down. As you mentioned, prices continue to rise on them while M2 carbine conversion demand and prices seem somewhat stagnant. Plus the 76 is a much nicer shooter.

Look at the cost of ownership-between the two the S&W is cheaper to feed and easier on the receiver vs the M2 carbine. They eat expensive ammo, can be hard on receivers, and parts are drying up. 

One more thing on the M2: What is the serialized part?  It makes a difference.  As long as it's not the receiver then you can swap the kit to another less valuable aftermarket receiver and save wear and tear on the Postal Meter one.  The trigger housing is by far the most durable part of the M2 kit.  If it's the connector or any of the other parts in the M2 kit, they may become wear items and once worn, you're SOL. 

Also I am no fan of the 76.  As I have said before, the Navy wanted an inexpensive SMG but all they got was a cheap one.  If it were up to me, I'd pass on both and look for something else

Edited by StrangeRanger

Yeah, unfortunately the M2 is a registered receiver gun, I was hoping it would be the trigger housing. Y'all's answers pretty much back up what I thought, thanks. 

On 2/27/2024 at 5:46 PM, BillinBama said:

Somehow I knew that was how you'd vote, Scott!

Yep, and I'd also get the stock adapter from Brian Miles. He has some left, and they make the world of difference in how the gun handles. 

3/7/24--I have about 10-12 stock adapters left, so if anyone is interested, please PM me and I'll get you the information you need.

BTW, I looked at a Iver Johnson M1 conversion last year for $7K and passed on it. Seller still has it and willing to sell anytime.

Would rather have another S&W or a Swedish K but those prices are moving up.

Brian M

12 hours ago, Opee said:

3/7/24--I have about 10-12 stock adapters left, so if anyone is interested, please PM me and I'll get you the information you need.

BTW, I looked at a Iver Johnson M1 conversion last year for $7K and passed on it. Seller still has it and willing to sell anytime.

Would rather have another S&W or a Swedish K but those prices are moving up.

Brian M

But moving up don't mean "don't buy"!  Remember, you dont pay too much, you just buy too early.