You Guys Heard About These?

Guest hardrede

FWIW I am very glad that the drums are not made in China! I applaud anyone that can follow the rules and get something usuable to market in this hostile environment.

OTOH, what would happen if an ATF agent had called this company and asked about the drums and the secretary told him China???

Have a great day!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heck, I ordered one. I probably should have ordered more, but can't remember the last time I fired my '28A1.

Intresting that these can be made overseas and shipped in legally but drums made here cannot be reimported.

Thanks, PhilOhio for the great write up! I, too, stocked up on Taiwanese M14 mags. They work so well that I have stopped using my GI mags. The construction of these is identical to USGI except that there are no markings and they are blued instead of parked.

Guest hardrede

You are correct Phil. This is the "retransfer" thing that I researched exhaustively a few years ago. It is possible to get US drums back in IF the US State Department will authorize the transfer. I had NO LUCK achieving that goal.

In addition, drums coming out of Ukraine, Russia, an nauseum were banned because of country of origin. Personally, I ride a Trek Mountain Bike made in Taiwan, and it is one of the best bikes that I own. Taiwan makes great stuff. I wish keepshooting.com the best and hope they can make even more stuff!

Hey Guys,

I got on here to see if anyone had got their drums yet. We had our afternoon meeting, and one of the phone staff mentioned that an order was placed by someone who had received theirs and immediately wanted another. So I took that as a good sign, and am happy to have seen the reviews thus far. I have a couple of things--

1) PhilOhio -- You are the man, I appreciate you taking the time you took to evaluate the drum and post such a detailed evaluation. We have a lot of other stuff coming in on the horizon, and you may find yourself with some samples for eval :-) I will be passing along your comments to my contact, and will see what they think of your recommendations.

2) hardrede -- If any ATF agent called and asked where the drums were made, even if someone told them Iran it wouldn't matter. The import permit displays the correct country of manufacture, and the country can be matched up with airline manifest for customs clearance. No worries, mate.

3) inertord -- Feel free to contact me directly thru the forum if you have any problems that cannot be resolved. We are keeping a small number of drums to handle any issues that may arise, and we want to make sure everyone is happy with their purchase.

4) Realistically we have perhaps 65 drums left. If we committed to import another batch, the soonest we would be able to get them would be 6 months. So if you want one, don't wait too long.

Thank you!

-Brian

Guest hardrede

2) hardrede -- If any ATF agent called and asked where the drums were made, even if someone told them Iran it wouldn't matter. The import permit displays the correct country of manufacture, and the country can be matched up with airline manifest for customs clearance. No worries, mate.

I was only responding to other poster's that asked country of origin. This has been a sore point here for sometime. Sorry you got caught up in the fracas. Years ago I attempted to import some stuff and was shut down by the US State Department for the "retransfer" thing. It lead to alot of bad blood and many negative comments.

FWIW my father-in-law owns a large construction company in Iraq. One of his security guys had a 1928A1 from Ukraine for over three years. (Paid $500 for it, operational!) He wanted to send the drum and accessories back. The security guy was an American Citizen and was turned down because of "country of origin" and "retransfer."

So, it is a real problem, and does need to be addressed by those of us that have had contact with ATF for improperly imported parts or magazines.

Good Luck with your business. I will check your web site because I need some AK-74 and 47 magazines!

As long as we're talking about superbly made Taiwanese items, here's a link for the purchase of Type 57 rifle magazines.

The Type 57 was the Taiwanese M-14, made on US equipment. These have worked very well for me. The quality is excellent and these cannot be told from USGI mags except that they are blued and unmarked.

They get $20 apiece for them, or five for $75, including shipping. Dan's is a great seller, with fast service.

http://www.dansammo.com/odds.asp

Just got mine and it looks really good. Phil Ohio did a good and through evaluation. Fit and finish are very good. No rust, dents or dings. Feels solid although I have not yet shot it Not to loose or to tight. Will try to fire it Weds. Will report back then. So far I am very pleased. If it will shoot as good as it looks we will all be in good shape. I think everyone will be pleased, provided they shoot OK and the spring holds up. Just my .02

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Feb 20 2007, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (TSMGguy @ Feb 20 2007, 03:58 PM)
Heck, I ordered one. Intresting that these can be made overeas and shipped in legally but drums made here cannot be reimported.

...cannot be reimported only if they were sent overseas as lend lease, and the recipient country did not pay us for them.

So Finland and Britain are the only countries we can buy from?

Thanks Brian. I called about the same time you were posting and spoke to a nice lady http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif (Sorry I did not get her name but tell her thanks again) in customer service and told her about the unknown function issue so far. I requested that she just hold a replacement drum until I can disassemble the one I received tonight to try to determine the problem and if I can fix without returning. I like the drum overall and want to keep if I can. Thanks for you help.

Thank you , fellow board members PhilOhio and Lancer for your very timely photos and evaluations. I was really hoping to hear good words on these before diving in as well. Sorry to hear of Inertord's failure-hope all goes well with replacement/repair.

After reading of the rapidly dwindling stockpile I went ahead and put in for two (one to use and playwith and the other to store away) After talking with Dorothy/Doris(?) I really get the impression that after tomorrow or thursday there won't be any left. Wish I had the cabbage for another pair!

Talk about speed too!!! I had my banking page pulled up as I placed my order and watched the charge post and within literally 2 seconds I got a ping from my mail box and received my order, #167XX, confirmation and about 2 minutes later got my tracking info for fedex due on thurs! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/hail.gif (scared me a little though...the order conf. said for 2 P64 mags- not thompsons. had to call right back and clarify that! Seems the P64 designation is just an internal mailbox for rush orders. I didn't even ask for rush....I guess they just do it that way! (treat every order as a priority! WOW!!!) http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Edited by frets24

Brian (and others),

If these drums will work in my Thompson, then they should work in anyone elses.

As most of you know, my gun fires faster than most (950 rpm.)

From the descriptions of the drums several have received, it soulnds like they are going to be good shooters.

I have two of them on the way myself! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Norm

By the way... KUDOS!!! and a big "Thank You" to 1921 Gangsta http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/woot.gif for the heads up on this whole thing!!!

This new drum is, of course, stamped. The dies had to be amazingly expensive and time consuming to make. It looks like they got it right without a lot of back tracking and tweaking.

No high quality L drums have been made in over 65 years, until now.

What a fabulous effort this is! I'd love to hear how it was done. Were these reverse engineered, or were original blueprints used, or even a combination of both?

Brian, would you care to enlighten us? We would also love to hear what else you have planned.

OK, thank you all for your reports and pics of the "new production" Crosby "L" Drums. I just ordered one. I wanted to wait until the experienced had a chance to review them for discussion.

Norm, if they work in that "buzz saw" that you own, then I know they will work in my W.H.

I cannot wait to get it. Thanks to all for helping out a W.H. owner.

Hey Guys--

Just checking in one last time before I call it a night. Here are a few things--

1) TSMGgun, I am not 100% certain on the story behind how these were designed. I'm assuming that they did their work with a set of blueprints, but do not know that for sure. If I can get any back story, I will certainly share it.

2) Norm, thank you for your business. I'll be anxious to hear the results from your gun! That must be a blast to shoot at that speed.

3) Drums are being shipped the same day the order is being placed. As a side note, we try and ship everything we can ship the same day the order is received. So generally if you order before 4pm, anything we've got in stock will ship the same day. I know how much fun it is to get stuff you order online quick, so we have always tried to deliver the kind of service we'd like to have given to us. While sometimes we don't meet our goal, overall we do pretty okay :-)

-Brian

First of all I would like to thank Brian and the folks at Keep Shooting for their attention to their customers http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif .

As a followup to my earlier post related to the lack of spring tension when loading and winding the drum I received today, I was able to disassemble and examine it closer this evening. Something inside the sealed rotor unit is rattling around and I am unable to view or disassemble further for inspection. It appears that the spring may have broken or rivets my have let loose as to not allow the spring to work as required.

At any rate, Brian has offered an instant replacement for the drum and hopefully he can determine further after receiving same. I am hoping this was a fluke and was so impressed with the drum and Keep Shooting otherwise, that I ordered a second drum today.

In the past, the US Government has given a significant amount tooling to the Nationalist Chinese for their Defense industry. The type 57 rifle is really a M14 built on the tooling from the original Springfield Armoury. The magazines that the Nationalist Chinese made for their type 57 rifle on that tooling, are of excellent quality and half the price of a USGI M14 magazine...

The US Government also gave a quantity of 1928 Thompsons to the Nationalist and Communists Chinese factions in the 1940’s, first to fight the Japanese, then to fight each other. They had such a large supply of 1928 Thompsons and ammunition that the Communists felt safe issuing some of them in the early days of Korea to their regular Army troops for use against GIs. Imagine 10,000 screaming Communist Chinese regular Army solders charging you with bugles a blaring and 1928 Thompsons a blazing.

I wonder if the Nationalists on Taiwan produced their own drums and magazines for their Thompsons, just like they did for the M1 Garands and M14s that we gave them… At the same time, the Communists who were running short of .45 ACP ammo, and were not likely to get any more from Uncle Sam, started to look into converting theirs into a more Communist friendly metric caliber.

If these drums were made by an established Taiwanese Defense contractor, this may not be their first bite at the Thompson drum apple… Just a Hypothesis…

Inquiring minds want to know…

Interord, I am a bit worried that you, the first person to actually load-up one of these drums, has had a spring failure. Phil has done a fine job of going over the metalwork specs and it sounds like they did a pretty good job there however...the spring is the most importiant component in these drums if they don't match up to the right specs or are not attached and in place properly, well it's not going to work. I would suggest that everyone who has received one of these to load it and wind it up so we can ascertain if this is an isolated incident or a defect problem of some sort.

Mike Hammer