Original Old Hardcase-What is it Worth?

Hello All:

Have an older Original Hardcase A friend Wants me to Sell for him

Need approximate appraisal of its value.

I think he wants me to gunbroker it.

Thanks for looking

TvCjsN.jpg
nsXXjF.jpg
QYMuxP.jpg
1Q7T3Z.jpg
EHjYwj.jpg
BOo427.jpg
zgitLy.jpg
RqSl1W.jpg
qY1MJk.jpg
Edited by Grease Gunner

Personally, I would pay $2400 for it, so that right there is a current bottom. That's a real offer, since appraisal's lack validity. A lot depends on the market you are soliciting to. Put it at Rock island auction it could bring $3500+ gross, but the seller will only see a fraction of that many months later. If I had to pick a range on a case in that condition sold on sturm in a timely fashion 2000-2800. Selling prices are dependent on a whole lot of factors and the final price often has more to do with the sellers choices than the item or eventual buyer This is a good place to sell, listing it on AK files probably not as good? The inflexibility of many sellers also leads to lower prices. Auction houses with sales tax and high fees lead to lower net proceeds IMO. HTH

Just a question based on idle curiosity: Have the leather straps in the cover been replaced at some time? Relative to the condition of the rest of the interior, the straps and their rivets appear to be near mint. Maybe it's common that they stay nice because they're tucked up out of the way?

Has anyone determined who made the case?

Darryl

Condition is very important when pricing all variations of hardcases. The reason is simple; these are display items only. No one is going to actually carry around a Colt's in one of these old cases - especially with a loaded drum and magazines!

There was a recent auction of a similar hardcase by a forum member. The hammer price was $2500 plus BP plus shipping and handling. I am not sure about sales tax. Attached are some pictures of this very used Police hardcase.

img (1).jpg

img (6).jpg

img (9).jpg

There was a second hardcase of similar construction in worse condition that had a (bullet?) hole in the lid. The hammer price was $1250 plus BP plus shipping and handling.

Is the case featured by Grease Gunner in a little better condition. Yes, but still far from pristine condition. There is an opening offer. Why not ask for members to submit offers by PM and pick a winner. And then kick back some of the proceeds to the Board.

I hope this helps!

Just a question based on idle curiosity: Have the leather straps in the cover been replaced at some time? Relative to the condition of the rest of the interior, the straps and their rivets appear to be near mint. Maybe it's common that they stay nice because they're tucked up out of the way?

Yes, there has been "work" done to the case IMO and it's not a "typical" swetnam case, nor is it in great condition overall, but it is vintage regardless of the mfr which is the only reason it's not $500. If nothing else, the pictures make for a good discussion. Always a good thing.

A higher offer seems plenty fair to me? I'd grab the 3k.

Edited by johnsonlmg41