The Lawrence County Pa Da's 1928 Auction

Lawrence County District Attorney Joshua Lamancusa is armed with a 90-year-old Tommy gun and is looking for money. Lamancusa plans to sell the 1928 Thompson submachine gun that has been stored in the district attorney’s office since 1950. The gun will be auctioned to the highest bidder. Proceeds will go to the district attorney’s drug task force and the county sheriff’s department.

http://www.ncnewsmedia.com/archive/2011/Ne...L/20/image1.htm

Video here

http://www.wpxi.com/news/27615702/detail.html

More details and phone number to place bid:

The district attorney said the gun was seized in an armed robbery and the county has kept it locked up because of its value. The 1928 Thompson Sub Machine Gun is worth thousands, according to district attorney Joshua Lamancusa.

Lamancusa said because the county could use the extra money, they've decided to auction it off.

"This is worth $20,000 to $50,000 and we want to put it out there to the general public to buy. It's a way to pay for a car for the sheriff's department that we need," Lamancusa.

To bid on the gun, call 724-656-1916.

Only about 2 hrs from my house. Maybe I should take a ride. I called and left message asking about inspection and bidding details.

-wwiifirearms

Edited by wwiifirearms

2 hours away may be worth it, just to look.

Please keep us informed. It does look nice in the pics. I thought about calling but did not have time today.

So 90years old......puts it birth in 1921? .....so is it a Colt 1921?

1928 Navy's were born in 1921 also

It's fairly obvious that it is a Colt by the furniture.

I'm sure it will go for more than $20K. I'm thinking

around $33K.

-Darryl

I do imagine that they had it registered back when...you know how those Law Enforcement types are...........

Oh... didn't read the second line... ..Nevermind.....

At the last major auction didn't most the of the Colt's go for in between $17000 to $28000.....

with a few similiar to the above auction at $25,000ish? Will be interesting to see what happens.

At the last major auction didn't most the of the Colt's go for in between $17000 to $28000.....

with a few similiar to the above auction at $25,000ish? Will be interesting to see what happens.

One must take into consideration the condition issues with the Colt's that sold for under $20K, and even the ones that sod for over $20K, at the Amoskeag Auctions.

This is well illustrated in the May, 2010 Amoskeag Auction results.

serial #13439 Colt Model 1921 / 28 Overstamp U.S. Navy Submachinegun SOLD FOR $34,500.00

left receiver flat at stamped "FLINT/POLICE/NO/1".

serial #6406 Colt Model 1921AC Thompson SubmachineGun SOLD FOR $19,550.00

January 8,2011 auction:

serial #4402 Colt Model 1921A Thompson Submachinegun SOLD FOR $28,750.00

significant finish loss

serial #1456 Colt Model 1921A Thompson Submachinegun SOLD FOR $23,000.00

significant finish loss

serial #986 Colt Model 1921A Thompson Submachinegun SOLD FOR $20,700.00

WWII front sight, Cutts may be as well.

serial #4925 Colt Model 1921AC Thompson Submachinegun SOLD FOR $18,400.00

WWII wood, purplish tint, pitting

serial #2641 Colt Model 1921AC Thompson Submachinegun SOLD FOR $17,250.00

Edited by Arthur Fliegenheimer

One must take into consideration the condition issues with the Colt's that sold for under $20K, and even the ones that sod for over $20K, at the Amoskeag Auctions.

This is well illustrated in the May, 2010 Amoskeag Auction results.

serial #13439 Colt Model 1921 / 28 Overstamp U.S. Navy Submachinegun SOLD FOR $34,500.00

left receiver flat at stamped "FLINT/POLICE/NO/1".

serial #6406 Colt Model 1921AC Thompson SubmachineGun SOLD FOR $19,550.00

January 8,2011 auction:

serial #4402 Colt Model 1921A Thompson Submachinegun SOLD FOR $28,750.00

significant finish loss

serial #1456 Colt Model 1921A Thompson Submachinegun SOLD FOR $23,000.00

significant finish loss

serial #986 Colt Model 1921A Thompson Submachinegun SOLD FOR $20,700.00

WWII front sight, Cutts may be as well.

serial #4925 Colt Model 1921AC Thompson Submachinegun SOLD FOR $18,400.00

WWII wood, purplish tint, pitting

serial #2641 Colt Model 1921AC Thompson Submachinegun SOLD FOR $17,250.00

A significant factor in the January 2011 auction prices is: they sold for less than current market if at least one phone buyer was prevented from placing a timely bid prior to the gavel falling. I was. Possibly others. I continue to congratulate those who made the effort to attend in person and were rewarded for their efforts. The fact remains; at least some sold for less than they would have due to the processes of that auction.

Edited by mnshooter

Yes, a great idea Jim! Your idea reminds me of a customer (a Class 2) who

bought a M1928A1 Russian parts set and had me build him a gun. Since he's

a Class 2 he did not need a police letter. His rationale was that 5-10 years

from now if he went out of business, he'd sell the parts (for at least what he

paid for them) and just have to "eat" the receiver, which cost $850. $850

divided by 60 months (5 years) is about $14. So he figures in the worst case

scenario he's renting a Thompson for $14 a month...

Bob

You might have something here. We form a corporation to own it and each shareholder/corporate officer owns 1/26th of a Thompson. Everyone gets it for two weeks a year. I could shoot my annual budget for .45 ammo in two weeks.

It would be a Tommy Timeshare!!!

But my question for the experts is, would it be legal?

-wwiifirearms

I'm easily confused as anyone who knows me is aware :unsure: , but it seems to me that the above-mentioned article is referring to 2 different guns, right? :banghead:

Thus the 2 different serial numbers? Sorry, I guess I'm just being Polish (can't help that).

Ron

Edited by Ron Mills

I'm easily confused as anyone who knows me is aware :unsure: , but it seems to me that the above-mentioned article is referring to 2 different guns, right? :banghead:

Thus the 2 different serial numbers? Sorry, I guess I'm just being Polish (can't help that).

Ron

for sale:

Colt 1928 Navy TSMG # 8016, seized in 1950 after an armed robbery, in possession of Lawrence County District Attorney Joshua Lamancusa

not for sale:

Colt 1921AC TSMG # 5857, Lawrence County Sheriffs Dept. New Castle, Pennsylvania, used in 1941 by Ellwood City Police Chief Ernest Hartman in shootout on the Fifth Street Bridge in Ellwood City to wound three bank robbers.

Edited by Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur's right....an e-mail message to me from the District Attorney:

Thank you for your interest in the Thompson. The weapon is originally 1921 and has the U.S. Navy overstamp of 1928. The weapon's serial number is 8016 and is registered in accordance with the 1968 registration requirement. I hope this answers your questions and if you desire to bid on the Thompson please contact my office with your information and we will get back to you with the specifics of the auction process.

V/R

Joshua Lamancusa

Lawrence County District Attorney

430 Court Street

New Castle, PA 16101

(724) 656-1916

(724) 656-1986 (fax)