Class III Price Increases - Thompsons vs the Rest of the MG world

It has always been that way, be it with guns or the stock market.

You could sum it up as: nobody knows exactly what the future holds, enjoy your hobby within your means, and hope for the best going forward into the future.

As far as investment goes of late, if I only knew what Colt Pythons would bring today, I would have bought as many as I could afford 5 years ago and doubled my money. Sorry if I am getting off topic but other firearms other than title 2 has been a good place to put some cash also. And a 6 in. Python will take out more than just Zombies. Edited by smkummer

Have fun and enjoy what you do.. and don't sweat the small stuff. since it will turn out the same every time.

we all leave whatever stuff behind.

just never expect them to care about it the same way you do. or value it as much. We have seen that in civil war and ww1 stuff also it has its highs and low's.

and the answer is Thompson's are not investments. [They Are Fun]

Ron

Edited by colt21a

Thompson's are not investments. [They Are Fun]

Ron

I agree, to a point. However, in a truly SHTF situation, gold and silver isn't going to be as good an investment as a Thompson. You can't defend yourself from a ravenous, lawless mob with gold and silver bullion. They will however be glad to dismember you and take it afterwards. They are not so likely to do so if you're armed with a Thompson.

Yes and just think that 98% Thompson will be 50% in no time, OH! the Horror! will be have to worry about keeping the transfer with it. Will they check if its legal.. all questions the internet cowboys will clearly ask...

will guys have short barrel Thompson semi's... and as far as gold and silver trade items, good trade items..if it gets that bad you will be trading a Morgan for some Charmin.....can't wait! have fun.. and enjoy..Ron

Edited by colt21a

LOL Never fails......mention SHTF and the bravado starts to flow. As for me......give me a good supply of gold & silver, a 9mm handgun, a Ruger 10/22, a good AR and a lot of .223. The last thing I want is a heavy, obsolete Tommy that eats ammo faster than a high school football team at an all you can eat buffet.

Edited by Lancer

LOL Never fails......mention SHTF and the bravado starts to flow. As for me......give me a good supply of gold & silver, a 9mm handgun, a Ruger 10/22, a good AR and a lot of .223. The last thing I want is a heavy, obsolete Tommy that eats ammo faster than a high school football team at an all you can eat buffet.

Don't forget a good supply of food too! I don't have gold & silver outside of what I wear but we all have priorities. Good thought on the Ruger 10/22, I have 2 of them. Great little gun. If I had to do room to room fighting with what I have probably I'd use my highly modified MAC10/45 than the Tommy gun because yes, they are very heavy.

Not that I want it to ever get to that, but:

Who would an otherwise cowardly group more likely try to overpower:

A single person with a 10/22. or one holding a Thompson with a drum, particularly after a partial burst had been fired?

If they watch the movies, they know those drums hold at least 500 rounds.

Conveniently, the attackers will all be big O policy supporters, so have already disarmed themselves for their own safety.

Edited by mnshooter

I still like my M1 SBR semi for close quarters SHTF action, though my newly built XM177e2 clone might give it run for it's money.

I have three AR SBR's, and I suppose they would be ok for SHTF action, but probably my Serbu super shorty 12 gauge would be better for the first couple shots anyway. If my M1 Thompson ever gets transferred to me by ATF it might make a good close range weapon but I'd still choose the MAC10/45 with the slowfire upper.

My bad for getting off the subject of Thompson values vs. other machine gun values. I think they are going to level off like others say too. The skyrocketing prices of these guns in this economy cannot continue, especially with the ludicrous transfer times and the looming possibility of the CLEO signoff for trusts.

We are the last of the generations for all of this when we pass it all go's also. Nobody is picking up the ball after that. I don't expect many Iran Iraq and afghan vets to do much of anything with it at all. peace Ron

We are the last of the generations for all of this when we pass it all go's also. Nobody is picking up the ball after that. I don't expect many Iran Iraq and afghan vets to do much of anything with it at all. peace Ron

There are others who believe in what the founding fathers stated and in the second amendment. If there were no more the Tea Party wouldn't exist in my opinion. The leftists haven't destroyed all of our younger generation with their versions of what our history is or why this country was formed. A lot of our military still believes in patriotism, duty, and honor. I hope that it's enough to save this country. But as Reagan said, Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. All of us need to teach those younger than us and perhaps less fortunate what our freedoms really mean, or the toys we have will indeed be lost, along with our Rights for ourselves and our sons and daughters forever.

If the freedom go's who cares about the toys. and glad Ron is only 33 he will be the first carrying the flag into the hell storm we once knew as the u.s.a. and now if he can find a few hundred like him.. there could be a small sliver of hope.I said the same thing about the last two election's.

nuff said. Ron

Ron,

Don't paint such a gloomy picture, you can rest assured that there will be resistance to any gun grabbing efforts by a tyrannical government.

I wonder how many guns will be reported stolen and or lost when of if they tried such a thing. Look at your avatar:-)

Bury them above the water table.

-Darryl

I think Ron has some legitimate concerns. I don't think the pro 2nd Amendment supporters are prepared for the tactics the gun banners are starting to utilize. In the past, the assaults on the 2nd Amendment have, for the most part, been pretty overt & high profile. The banners have been burned numerous times by this tactic. More and more they are beginning to use a more low profile, covert approach, chipping away at our rights where they can with little risk at the ballot box because the every man in the street doesn't realize it's happening or even who to blame if he does realize. The price of freedom is eternal vigilence.....I fear too many people are looseing sight of this fact.

Lancer,

I'm sure they will try and do it covertly, behind closed doors, much like the same way they got OsamaCare pushed down our throats..

SHTF didn't happen till the sheeple started getting their policies cancelled and it's higher costs were exposed.

I expect it will be much like that with guns, when they actually start confiscating guns, maybe I'm to optimistic?

I've always have used gun laws as a litmus test on just how free the citizens are in a particular state. Our choices are move, vote the bums out of office,

as in Joe Manchin, or Stand & Fight as the NRA expounds.

I personally just moved from Maryland to West Virginia over gun issues, an expensive, timely act, but it had to be done on my part.

Darryl

Edited by darrylta

So who in their right mind, figured he would get voted in the first time? let alone the first.. WE have fallen off the cliff as a nation, and those who fail to heed that and see it. Will be the next batch on the cattle car's...I am not ever gloom or doom, just a realist and a watcher that has been seeking for decades the Truth. And the most sad part of it all. most of the country and people in it don't care..

It's far more then Thompson prices right now.Ron

So who in their right mind, figured he would get voted in the first time? let alone the first.. WE have fallen off the cliff as a nation, and those who fail to heed that and see it. Will be the next batch on the cattle car's...I am not ever gloom or doom, just a realist and a watcher that has been seeking for decades the Truth. And the most sad part of it all. most of the country and people in it don't care..

It's far more then Thompson prices right now.Ron

Well congratulations Ron, your search for the truth is over. Sad it is....

• 1 month later...

My neighbor just bought a $45,000 SUV. Lost $15,000 on it the first five minutes he owned it.

I drive a 14 year old minivan with good paint, good tires, and a good engine.

I just bought a Thompson for at least $3000 less than I could sell it for tomorrow on gunbroker.

One of us, either me or my neighbor, is a real chump in my humble opinion.

Our whole society is just a brainwashing machine designed to get people to buy more and more "stuff".

Do you even want a car with a rear view camera in it? Last time I checked my head and eyeballs could be turned. No camera needed.

These guns are like a piggy bank, they accumulate money that probably would have just been pizzled away otherwise.

That happens with a lot of collectors. They eat PB&J sandwiches so they can buy another porcelain figurine or a fender for their 69 hemi charger, etc.

And then one day they wake up and realize they have $100K worth of stuff that's going up in value 5K a year.

Not exactly a heartbreaking moment.

• Upvote 1

As far as the government making transfers illegal goes -

I'm not worried.

These guns are very very expensive now and are basically rich guy's toys.

Just like 1969 hemi chargers are sitting in rich guy's garages and not doing burnouts at the 7-11.

Rich guys don't get their hobby taken away by the government. They own the government.

Also, the crime rate with these collector items is zero point zero.

And you have to go through a lengthy approval process, something that liberals love.

NFA guns are really not a political hot potato.

You never really hear those leftist scumbag politicians whining about full auto.