New Numrich 100 Round Drums

It is a 1970's or 80's Auto-Ordnance Corporation, West Hurley, New York, C drum. It is not a 1920's Colt's era C drum. These C drums do not have a good reputation for working. I agree with hawknest, above, that the value of one in the USA is well under the selling price of the new Taiwan C drums from the Gun Parts Corporation - that work! That said, I do not know the value in Great Britain where it would be used more of a display piece than as a shooter drum.

Thanks for sharing!

It is a 1970's or 80's Auto-Ordnance Corporation, West Hurley, New York, C drum. It is not a 1920's Colt's era C drum. These C drums do not have a good reputation for working. I agree with hawknest, above, that the value of one in the USA is well under the selling price of the new Taiwan C drums from the Gun Parts Corporation - that work! That said, I do not know the value in Great Britain where it would be used more of a display piece than as a shooter drum.

Thanks for sharing!

Tom,

Indeed, Dan from D & B was being clever using the description '1920's dated' I think, hoping to catch some new collectors interest.

In the UK, C drums come up very rarely, so it is very much supply and demand, I would not pay that much for a reproduction drum though.

This one is probably from the collection of some Thompson enthusiast who rushed to sell his collection to D & B, prior to the new UK legislation on deactivated weapons coming into force.

The fact there are less Thompson enthusiasts actively collecting in the UK now, reduces Dan's market even further....

Stay safe

Richard

A little OT, but I'm curious about the early Taiwanese "L" drums, the 200 or so sold that had full Thompson and Crosby markings. Are these pretty desirable?

Richard, there was a dealer in Birmingham had some drums for sale last year, I will check with my brother there and see if he can get the contact details, he had both original and repro

Laurence

Thanks Laurence

Richard

From a collector standpoint, yes they are desirable, though I have not seen any for sale for a price check. I have one of them.

David

I have one as well, along with one of the later ones without the words, "Thompson", "Crosby", and the Buffalo address.

When the crap hit the fan about the word "Thompson" being used on these drums there was much speculation that Kahr's opposition would prevent the manufacture and sale of any more drums. They're still available, though, along with the "C" drums, all of nice quality.

Made in Taiwan "L" drum Crosby marked.

CrosbyLdrumTiwan.jpg

How much were the repro Crosby L Drums? I have two original Crosby L drums in my collection, I bought three in the deal, but sold one, for which I paid equivalent then of about $200 a piece, better exchange rate then, for me.

Stay safe

Richard

Last week we had the opportunity to put one of the new Taiwanese C drums through a thorough shake down. I had a bit of a problem with it the first time out several months ago. It would feed 15-25 rounds and stop on an empty chamber. This happened a couple of times. I believe one of the causes was reloaded ammunition. Two or three of the fired cases had damaged rims that may have been the culprit.

This time out the same thing happened on the first attempt with new factory 230gr. ball. On a hunch, I checked the feed lips/cartridge channel on the drum and found the channel pinched inward slightly on one side - just enough to stick once in awhile (see picture). The sharp edges of the cartridge channel also needed to be deburred. After stoning the edges and making the channel smooth and straight, the drum worked flawlessly with every kind of ammunition we tried including mixing brands and bullet types. If your drum has a similar problem you might want to check the cartridge slot against the original specifications. Just smoothing and straightening the slightest bit solved the problem. I also deburr or stone the sharp edges on the rotor and especially the rotor tips.

C drum feed lips.JPG

Edited by 1921A

pretty soon I'm going to cave in any buy one

i know it's going to happen but I'm still resisting

its an experience unloading 100 rounds in 1 burst.....and doubling the weight of your thompson.....for $400 its a bargain...nothing in this hobby is cheap and $400 is cheap

CrosbyLdrumTiwan.jpg

How much were the repro Crosby L Drums? I have two original Crosby L drums in my collection, I bought three in the deal, but sold one, for which I paid equivalent then of about $200 a piece, better exchange rate then, for me.

Stay safe

Richard

I think they were $159.00 at keep shooting.com. Have been out of stock for a long time.

https://www.keepshooting.com/thompsonr-compatible-drum.html

CrosbyLdrumTiwan.jpg

Stay safe

Richard

I think they were $159.00 at keep shooting.com. Have been out of stock for a long time.

https://www.keepshooting.com/thompsonr-compatible-drum.html

Since these aren't available what's the next best option for quality repro L drums

Well after reading post #115 by 1921A, I have been having the same problem with my new Taiwanese 100rd drum with the 15 to 25 rounds fired and then stop with empty chamber then pull bolt back and pull trigger and get another 20 to 30 then stop again. So I looked closely at the edges of the rotor and lips of the feed opening like 1921A said and did see there was burred edges that needed some attention. So after spending time (2 hours) filing smoothing all edging of the rotor and opening edges in the drum and putting things back together. I loaded it up with 100 rounds, wound it 15 clicks and thumbed out all 100 rounds and weather it means anything or not it fed all the rounds out a lot smoother than it did prior to smoothing it up. Because I hand fed them out before and you had to fight some of the rounds to get them out.

Will post soon how it functions next trip to the range. And going to grease it as soon as I get the clamp needed to do it with!

I had stoppages on my GPC c drum as well. My stoppages seem to be after the first outer ring gets fired and then I go into what seem to be 6 round bursts until the last 20 where it dumps them. There was a bend on my drum on the same spot as the above picture. I straightened it but won't get to the range for a while. The other observation I have is one of my bullet guides at the feedlips is not riveted parallel to the other. Need to measure It is pointing in towards the other slightly and I think the rotor may be hitting it. I am 0 for 3 on the drum running. I greased it after attempt 1. I'll get a picture tomorrow.