I thought this Colt was already bought by a member here a year+ ago?

People are going to disagree with you from time to time.

You'll get over it.

I don't think it's worthwhile to discourage people with bile, pessimism and idle speculation.

People tisk-tisked at me when I bought my NIB UZI for for $7800. There were none others to be had for less money, but still people mused on the "crazy prices" and "greedy sellers" and all that crapola.

If I had listened, I'd be looking at buying the same gun right now for close to $15k.

Anyone who has a desire to own a Thompson, I advise you to buy one asap. This is a good time to buy, the gun market is generally slow this year and summertime is always slow for gun sales.

You wait until next year, and you're probably going to be paying more.

Edited by buzz

As always being the odd man out..... I frequently invest in machine guns. Some I buy because I like them, others I buy solely as an investment. I also invested in gold, forgot when 2010 or so for a couple years, made a bunch of money and sold. Investing in MG's is pretty much like investing in anything else. I think Reuben does this as well as a number of others?

I currently don't own any stocks. Boomers are retiring and cashing out (the few that invested/ saved), not much new money is going in except companies borrowing money and buying back stock inflating values, since younger people earn low wages and have a lot of debt. Doomsday, don't know, but I do know a LOT of companies were on the brink of bankruptcy overnight when their credit lines died instantly in 08. Remember the secret slush fund/ credit line for "some companies on some list"? That kept them afloat avoiding doomsday. Where are we now? Gov. owns every mortgage, owns all student loans effectively, my share of the per capita national debt is now about 30K more than 2007 with no end in sight. People are flipping houses again, low down payments, rental house oversupply, and all of this with near zero interest rates thus no cushion or possibility of a "stimulus" that could stimulate anything. 42+ million on food stamps, many of whom are morbidly obese?

I've worked on a number of projects this summer......every single one had government funding, mostly schools of some type and a few commercial projects tax exempt with multiple subsidies etc. Admittedly things appear to be booming......what could possibly go wrong?

Who "fixed" the 08 financial crisis......I'll give you a hint, it never really actually got fixed. Government had absolutely NOTHING to do with fixing it, other than signing huge checks and sucking up bad loans from the scammers that pull the strings. Those same folks are still running things and when things go bad again, they will be lining up again for the big checks. Only one problem with that, we haven't actually retired the bad debt from last time, we financed it and aren't paying it down? So what will happen next time? I'd recommend watching the The Big Short to get a glimpse of what happened last time.

Doomsday I don't know, but I do know people that got part of their mortgage wiped away, still couldn't pay, got kicked to the curb, then got a tax bill for the gift portion of the mortgage reduction and couldn't pay that and were on the hook to the IRS, while the banks pocketed the gift money from the gov't? They sort of thought it was doomsday?

What is the purpose of this thread?

To convince the new guys to not buy an MG because buying an MG is a bureaucratic nightmare and that the prices are a bubble that’s going to crash?

That is not valid advice, it’s just hobby pessimism from the doomsday crowd.

How about car collectors? Or guitar collectors? Stamps? Coins? Antiques? Motorcycles?

How come everyone is buying and selling valuable collectibles?

Don't they realize that doomsday is at hand? (Again)

Here's an accurate prediction of what the stock market will do: it will go up and down. Or down and up. You're welcome.

The truth is that making an NFA gun transfer is easy. You fill out a form with simple information, send it in, wait 6 to 12 months. Done. It’s a nuisance, but it’s easy. Problems are rare.

In 2010, a dealer was selling NIB MAC10s for $2995. The same dealer has them for $7495 now. Adjusting for inflation, that’s about 11.5% annual increase in price over 7 years.

The prices went up in the recession and they went up in the recovery, for the last 7 years.

They went up every year since the supply was chopped off in 1986.

The only time the prices went down since 1986 was a brief dip in 2010 when the world economy crashed. And then they went right back up.

That's not a bubble market. Name a bubble market were prices went up for decades.

If anything, the market is becoming the opposite of that, the MG market is being taken over by hardcore big-money gun collectors, those obsessive compulsive collectors who hoard guns until they die.

There are times during the year when there are no pre-1945 Thompsons for sale anywhere. The hoarders are suctioning them off the market.

Edited by buzz

Everyone gets in a rut every so often. They buy something from one of those "30 years in the business" guys who blatantly lied and misrepresented so much about the deal that ends up being a POS and they lose their ass on it at resale time (not the guy in South Florida BTW, he is aces). Having cleared out a few friends' estates (depressing as shite) and woken up in the hospital a couple times when I was expected not to...and I'm young, it makes one think about what they want to leave to family and friends. I'm selling anything I consider "collectable" or that I don't shoot. Need to figure out how to market my San Fran 1921AC. Edited by Waffen Und Bier

Everyone gets in a rut every so often. They buy something from one of those "30 years in the business" guys who blatantly lied and misrepresented so much about the deal that ends up being a POS and they lose their ass on it at resale time (not the guy in South Florida BTW, he is aces). Having cleared out a few friends' estates (depressing as shite) and woken up in the hospital a couple times when I was expected not to...and I'm young, it makes one think about what they want to leave to family and friends. I'm selling anything I consider "collectable" or that I don't shoot. Need to figure out how to market my San Fran 1921AC.

Talk to David and list it here. Despite the economic doom and gloom stories, some collectors are still buying Colt's. There are quite a few for sale currently, but of course each one is different and the history resonates with buyers for differing reasons.

Maybe some day the price will crash and we'll all lose money ( I'm not betting on it), but it's a smarter buy than running to the dealer to buy a new Camaro or Mustang.

Ron

Good lord, there is far more to see/do/experience in life than just collecting stuff. Stuff is just stuff, hardly a reason for living (just back from mountain climbing in Greece with my wife, now those sorta things are experiences that make life interesting and worth living, not just one more gun sitting in the safe and getting shot 20 times a year).

Ron,

The surest way to die early is to stop collecting.

You loose the reason for living.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't mountain climb any more, but I travel Europe, play dodge car on my motorcycles, drink the best whisky/whiskey possible, and go to my beach condo whenever possible :) Edited by Waffen Und Bier

And although I don't collect per se, I still buy stuff I like, like good whisky/whiskey. I bought a really cool West Midlands Bobby helmet at my last gun show. Needed it for my home pub. I'm selling off whatever machine guns I don't want my survivors to have to deal with, but since I still like guns (I'm not dead yet), I'm working on building a semi auto Stoner 63A (66A) copy.

IMAG3294.jpg

That is really cool sold my two originals to Reed over 30 years ago. I am sure they sit or hang on some wall in the Museum. Along with the AR-10's He bought from me. I ended up with a nice Dillinger Lock up gun{Michigan City Indiana prison system} and another Gangster used 21a as part of that deal with a Colt shipping crate still packed with Excelsior. fun times.

#894 probably resides at N.R.A. and #9131 Pictured in Rogers catalog. in another collection today.good luck on the Stoner great rifle.And History.

Colt21a Ron