Form 4 Transfer Time

Stampcollector

I have seen some reports (someone told someone, but all unnamed) that they have implemented a new process for new Form 4 submissions and we can expect under 120 days to be the norm. However, older submissions are still going through the old process and will still take 10+ months.

Anyone have anything confirmed about a new faster process?

I also saw someone write (or speculate) that someone at the new contractor grabbed the wrong stack of forms resulting in a one time quick return for a lucky group. Also, totally unconfirmed.

Edited by wwiifirearms

I was at my LGS this weekend and ATF has a booth set up there. I have spoken to the gentleman there who is very friendly and appears pro gun. I asked him about some of the rumors on the net concerning transfer times. He said they are pulling agents from the field for 30,60,90 and 120 day reassignments to help with the backlog of paperwork. He also said they are not properly funding the agency and that is whats causing the long wait times. And yes private contractors have been hired too. He said the slow downs are on purpose. Why would they want fast transfers of machine guns! FWIW.

Trusts are still 11 months+

I dont see any july 19 trusts approved.

So they are doing nothing for trusts. I do see individuals doing great things. 3-8 month approvals

If I buy another Im gonna do an individual then into my trust after the gun is in my hands

Ive got 12 stamps coming. Im still hoping for bulk

Approval but Im not sure Ive seen any trust bulk approvals

Edited by huggytree

I was at my LGS this weekend and ATF has a booth set up there. I have spoken to the gentleman there who is very friendly and appears pro gun. I asked him about some of the rumors on the net concerning transfer times. He said they are pulling agents from the field for 30,60,90 and 120 day reassignments to help with the backlog of paperwork. He also said they are not properly funding the agency and that is whats causing the long wait times. And yes private contractors have been hired too. He said the slow downs are on purpose. Why would they want fast transfers of machine guns! FWIW.

If true, another strike against Trump. First, bump stocks, then he doesn't like silencers, and now ….

Trusts are still 11 months+

I dont see any july 19 trusts approved.

So they are doing nothing for trusts. I do see individuals doing great things. 3-8 month approvals

If I buy another Im gonna do an individual then into my trust after the gun is in my hands

Ive got 12 stamps coming. Im still hoping for bulk

Approval but Im not sure Ive seen any trust bulk approvals

Are you using the 24-month exemption for your trust? Thats an often overlooked part of the changes from rule 41f. If you have a stamp approved on your trust and none of the information changes, then for the next 24 months, you can submit stamps and rather than having to send in your trust to be reviewed and all that stuff, you can send in a 24-month exemption letter just stating the serial number of the previous approved stamp and that nothing has changed.

I forgot about that. I have terrible luck with stuff like that. I send a copy of the trust with each one. It works so I am not going to stop. At this point using a credit card instead of a check has gotten more rejections than anything else.

This is the letter generator I used. It spits out about a 1/3 page letter. I took a picture of the letter and have used the identical photo now 3 or 4 times. I'll keep using it till its past the 24 months on that stamp.

https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/blogs/nfa-gun-trust-atf-information-database-blog/24-month-exemption-for-nfa-gun-trust-and-legal-entity-documentation

What I'm considering doing is every 12 months or so, submit a form 1 to SBR an ar lower or something that I dont really care if it takes a long time, and use my full trust document. Then if everything works like it should, I should always have an approved one that qualifies for the 24 month exemption and hopefully get faster stamps for the ones I really care about. Pretty much just paying $200 every couple years to speed my process up. Like an NFA prime membership. :D

When I look at nfa tracker I only see a few dots that arent in the 11-12 month grouping

Either no one else is using the 24 month trust thing or else it doesnt save anything. Many many people have multiple stamps going through right now

I just think they are extra slow on trusts to discourage its use

Edited by huggytree

When I look at nfa tracker I only see a few dots that arent in the 11-12 month grouping

Either no one else is using the 24 month trust thing or else it doesnt save anything. Many many people have multiple stamps going through right now

I just think they are extra slow on trusts to discourage its use

Or the NFA tracker isn't getting significant enough sample size.

There's no way that a form with a trust can be processed any faster than the same form with the 24 month exemption. My trust is 9 pages. And when I sent it in the first or second time, they found something they weren't happy with. Their legal department read the entire thing and found a sentence on page 9 they wanted me to change. When you file with the 24 month exemption, legal department doesn't have to read all 9 pages of your trust. Maybe it takes the same amount of time. Maybe it doesn't take as long. But there's no way it takes any longer.

I have stamps with no numbers.

There is no batch processing.

Got a corp. form 1 back in 8 weeks, it would have been 5, but there was an issue. Another form 4 is at 5 months and I inquired about "batching" and and was told that was not a thing only that if forms are in close proximity, it could happen. Anything quicker than 8 months right now is just luck for non-dealer transfers.

I had to call the ATF today because dummy me forgot to submit my fingerprint cards with my latest Form 4. I asked the nice lady on the phone about the current wait times. She said the average wait time is 9 months now and that they are trying to streamline the process to make it faster. Hopeful that was accurate information.

I had to call the ATF today because dummy me forgot to submit my fingerprint cards with my latest Form 4. I asked the nice lady on the phone about the current wait times. She said the average wait time is 9 months now and that they are trying to streamline the process to make it faster. Hopeful that was accurate information.

I did that one time but realized it about 10min after i left the post office. I raced back there with the print cards. They were nice enough to go find my overnite mailer and bring it out to me so i could open it and add the cards. Apparently that is a no no but i was in such a panic i think the women felt sorry for me ha

Transfer of M1919 machine gun from SOT to myself on a form 4 approved in 65 days. Form 4 was mailed on August 7, 2019 and approved on October 11, 2019. Meanwhile, other form 4 machinegun transfers from the same SOT remain pending from Feb 2019.

post-262001-0-53380500-1571614957_thumb.jpg

Edited by maxfaxdude

Anyone use SilencerShop's system for submitting form 4s?

I've got a F4 pending that was created using their software.

It generated barcode with all of the info that supposedly speeds up input drastically...

I wonder if it results in significantly faster processing?

Anyone use SilencerShop's system for submitting form 4s?

I've got a F4 pending that was created using their software.

It generated barcode with all of the info that supposedly speeds up input drastically...

I wonder if it results in significantly faster processing?

I think the barcode is there to make people "feel" like atf scans the code and voila, your form is magically in the system. What are the odds of a gov. branch having a scanner, knowing how to use it, and having software that works with the antiquated system they have?

I think the barcode is there to make it easier for silencershop to harvest your personal information, since I believe that is the main focus for providing the software. The atf website also provides online forms and if they were harvesting your info, you'd hope they were using it for transfers, but clearly that's not happening either?

When doing an online form 1 it makes me feel like software I attempted to write in BASIC in 1983. For the younger guys basic was a computer language popular back in the day, just after we got rid of the shoe box full of punch cards and got those newfangled floppy's!