Rusco Case and Spare Parts Box on GB

I'll try to post more later, but based on additional photos that were forwarded to several of us via e-mail, and the resulting commentary, I believe the case is original, and not a Pakistani reproduction. The photos posted on GB do not do this item justice at all. If I only had the GB photos to make a decision, I would lean towards it being a repro.

If anyone considers purchasing it, they should make sure the item can be returned if not fully satisfied with originality. However, I now think it's original. The auction price likely has a very high reserve, probably based on the belief that the spare parts box is original, which it is not. So, I will be very surprised if these items are sold at the current auction.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David sign that letter of authenticity and the new owner will be good with it. I am going by pictures. not 50% convinced but if I had in hand sure I could if real we can raise the deal to $700 original {maybe case}and three mags. the lure case Free. Colt 21A Ron

And hope you are always doing well!

The seller should post his better pics. I was one of the reviewers. Im not 100% convinced but very close. The photos we reviewed look a million times better than the ones on the original gunbroker ad. As weve often said on gun reviews, high quality pictures make a HUGE difference!

Most of the stitching styles and colors line up well with my two Rusco cases. Snaps are different, but presumably the sellers case is earlier as its a 21A.

Id ask for an in person inspection with a refund policy, but otherwise Id be good with the case.

Im not bidding or making an offer but do have an interest in early canvas an area that likely needs more study. Id be curious to know how many cases and straps are both stamped, or one or the other. Of my two Rusco cases, one had both halves stamped, one has only the case stamped.

Ron

If I remember back when very little at all difference in snaps only some stich, and the end made the difference black paint type versus that shiny paki metal look.. Hey I have nor lost my Mind. And when I see shiny or discolor metal something needs to be looked at more. I saw a early Colt blank mag once the guy engraved the patent stuff on so it could be worth more. he reversed his value I told him also seen reblued ones to enhance value...

I have either seen it all or nothing.. you guys decide I am getting ready for SAR see ya's Colt 21A Ron

Is the lite green thread as seen around the Snap and is the Felt Protector in the Stock pocket common to a Rusco Canvas Carry Case ??

I never saw the Thread color variation or Felt till seen outdoors.

The Metal Box was used as the Cleaning Kit, it look cheaply made, it's old and fits in the front pocket pocket being the same size as the 20rd Magazine. I have to go by what I was told.

Iam helping people sell off some of their stuff,

like the new in the box Kerr Slings on GB.

If Canvas Carry Case is a Repro,I will let the Owners know.

post-258532-0-39553400-1511920300_thumb.jpg

post-258532-0-36613200-1511920468_thumb.jpg

post-258532-0-79506700-1511921102_thumb.jpg

post-258532-0-39525900-1511921232_thumb.jpg

Edited by jojeep

johnsonlmg41,

I'm interested as well. What has you convinced it is a fake? The Rusco cases have different manufacturer's of the snaps, depending on when they were made.

Since you are convinced it is a fake, how much do you want for it? I'll be happy to take it off your hands.

Edited by gijive

Ron,

If you see a nice one at the SAR Show for $500.00, (with the cotton piece still intact in the stock pouch), I'll take it. You can make some money on it, too. I'll give you a finder's fee.

The stitching, the new coated wire in the black snaps, the contemporary company on the brass cleaning rod snap and overall condition. I have a bunch of WWI period canvas for other guns in my collection and nothing is anywhere remotely close to new as this rig. RIA fessed up to it (even though they know absolutely nothing) and told me I should know better since it was not in a "premier" auction that it would be a repro. Sort of rubbed salt in the wound considering how much I've spent there over the years?

Can you post a close-up picture of the company name shown on the brass cleaning rod snap? And state what the marking(s) should be on this snap for an original RUSCO canvas case. Thanks!

Can you post a close-up picture of the company name shown on the brass cleaning rod snap? And state what the marking(s) should be on this snap for an original RUSCO canvas case. Thanks!

Tom,

The snap appears to read United -Carr, which would be a correct contractor for these snaps dating back prior to WWII. Here is a link to the companies history:

http://workerscity.ca/20th-century-industry/carr-fastener-company/

For what it is worth, I have an unmarked Rusco case with a United Carr marked snap on the back.

Edited by gijive

Any thoughts??

Rear snap from Mills 1918 Mag Pouch Snap and the Rusco Canvas Carry Case on GB.

There have been some questions as to the Rusco Canvas Carry Case being original.

I trying to learn myself, if original or a fake from IMA.

Iam not as knowledgeable about Thompsons as many of the members here.

post-258532-0-63190800-1512141522_thumb.jpg

post-258532-0-94823900-1512141763_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts??

Rear snap from Mills 1918 Mag Pouch Snap and the Rusco Canvas Carry Case on GB.

There have been some questions as to the Rusco Canvas Carry Case being original.

I trying to learn myself, if original or a fake from IMA.

Iam not as knowledgeable about Thompsons as many of the members here.

jojeep.

As I believe I previously mentioned, the unmarked snap does not concern me as much as it does some of the other reviewers of your case. I have seen several variations of snaps on U.S. made web material dating back to WWI. It is consistent with the types of snaps used on early web gear. I can tell from the wear on the case and the consistency of the weave of the material that it appears to be genuine. You will eventually find a knowledgeable buyer that will offer you a fair price for the case.

• Upvote 1

Yes, they are WWII. They were repacked for long-term storage in the early 1950s.

I had a half-dozen of those unopened boxes about 15 years ago. Sold them all except one box I still have.

Notwithstanding the UV testing, the United Carr snaps would have most likely entered the marketplace in or about 1929. So the thinking is someone decided to reproduce a Thompson Canvas Carrying Case with authentic United Carr fasteners and stamp it with the RUSCO name. Review of the pictures indicate this case is not one of the overseas cheap imitations. When would all of this fakery occurred? I do not remember a flood of RUSCO canvas cases hitting the marketplace. What is the top dollar price for an original case versus trying to manufacture a very close reproduction? Please post some pictures of correct Russell Manufacturing marked snaps.

case cost reproduction around $12. bucks sold for 50 bucks

so if you had a drum that cost you 200 to make and sell for 600 I think they would punch them out all day.. Had a mag reproduced awhile back. cost landed around 20 bucks got them for 50 bucks... they did sell later for as much as $120

the original seller was pretty happy. I was only making $30 a mag the other guy jacked it and made $70 a mag each Do not think for a minute these had been done well over 15 years ago now. they did hundreds and sold them.. Do not think for a minute they are not in collections now used dirty or worn and sold with guns as originals. and hen they change hands maybe five times. I know a 21ac that had four customers in two years. finish wear and tales from each owner. I was not shunned at SAR show I was welcomed they all wanted some cool info. And the truth is always good to hear. Unless you are some Thompson con artist and play games. And with the cost of Colts that happens many times.

A few wanted honest opinion's on others guns this weekend, I gave them... nobody came over to hit me with 'Lucille"

So I guess some sales got made O.K. But some wanted to just ask a few questions. I said hey if you pay 2 grand over by time you own it Physical wise.. It will catch up. Colt21A Ron

johnsonlmg41,

I will send you a Private Message shortly. Let me check with Colt21a to make sure he didn't pick one up at the SAR show yesterday, I committed to him first.

Ron,

Were you able to find one of the cases for sale at the SAR Show?