M1928 Overstamp #4959 saw cut sold on Gunbroker

This was just brought to my attention -

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/901355040

I don't think its 100% correct (M1928A1 actuator?) but the EXC++++ of the gun

is astonishing. The only gun I have seen close to this is the "Hardware Store"

gun #167. Maybe somebody can look this one up and see who it was originally

sold to....

Bob

What a shame to have such a beautiful piece of American history cut up because of some stupid ass bureaucratic law. Note that is a pretty late serial numbered weapon to have a squared actuator slot.

Something isn't right about the serial number and the markings. I'm nowhere near any of my reference books but I know these two discrepancies for sure. First: the lower reads AUTOMATIC & SEMIAUTOMATIC. These markings are only found on much earlier guns. Second: the AUTO-ORD-CO markings on the top of the receiver are also from earlier Colts. I'm thinking there may be two "parts kits" that have been separated with wrong parts going to different guns. would be interesting to see the serial number on the lower. That's an early gun for sure.

Some questions for the experts:

In picture 15, is it common on guns with the original finish to have such a discrepancy in the lettering depth? The center area of the "SEMI-AUTOMATIC" appears much shallower than the outer letters, with no apparent wear to the finish.

Also - in picture 24 the comp pin end looks very flat. I've seen pictures of pins with more radius, but maybe there was manufacturing variation during the production run? Replacement pin?

Just trying to learn...

Edited by DFisch

My guess looking at the lower number from an extreme angle, it could be the same serial number.

Was it refinished? Explains the lettering DFischer referenced. And it's history sure doesn't jive with its condition.

I hope who got it will post more info for the rest of us to see.

Serial number seems to be 4955 with a 9 superimposed.

Cutts Compensator has flattened out pin ends.

No halos on U.S. NAVY or overstamp 8 but there is bluing discoloring behind the stamping.

No JHB stamp on a Colt receiver in this lower serial number range is unusual.

post-110-0-01864600-1622223296_thumb.jpgpost-110-0-67221900-1622223307_thumb.jpgpost-110-0-63474300-1622223315_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arthur Fliegenheimer
  • Upvote 1

Definitely a flattened comp pin, and also, the barrel threads are left slightly exposed.
Those I have seen have the comp screwed on until no threads are visible.
Hope those with a greater sample base will comment if this is a normal variable.

The highest number Auto-Ord-Co I'm aware of. TD?

Anyway, it could be that the comp was removed to allow use of a Richardson Heavy Duty barrel vise, or equivalent.

Edited by mnshooter
  • Upvote 1

Definitely a flattened comp pin, and also, the barrel threads are left slightly exposed.

Those I have seen have the comp screwed on until no threads are visible.

Hope those with a greater sample base will comment if this is a normal variable.

The highest number Auto-Ord-Co I'm aware of. TD?

Anyway, it could be that the comp was removed to allow use of a Richardson Heavy Duty barrel vise, or equivalent.

Marc,

Yes, several things wrong with that parts kit. The compensator is a Type II, likely not the correct compensator for that gun based on the history documented by Gordon Herigstad. Good call on the barrel threads showing, I have never seen that either, especially on a Type II compensator on a Colt gun. Of course the flattened pin and visible barrel thread are suspect, indicating a reblue. Couple that with the fact that the person manning the table at the recent Ohio Gun Collector's Show earlier in May, while myself and another Board member were examining the parts kit, volunteered that the barrel and compensator had been reblued.

The longer pieces of the receiver where it was cut appear to have been polished on the edges and the serial number on the small piece appears to have been overstruck with the character "9". Nice call on that, Arthur. The wood and metal wouldn't look like that on a gun that had been with the Marine Corp in Nicaragua, either.

Regarding the early Auto-Ordnance logo, vs the later style, recently examined guns in the 4900 plus serial number range exhibit both type logos appearing nearing the 5000 range which used to be the accepted standard. I find the early grip frame markings and squared actuator slot unusual for a gun in the 4900 serial number range as well, although anomalies have been noted over the years. For example, St. Valentine's Day Massacre 1921A Model # 2347 has a a squared actuator slot but has later Full Auto/Single fire select markings and horizontal lines on the receiver for Fire and Safe.

• Upvote 1