Problem with latest BATF Form-4 PDF

pstidan

I'm in the process of transferring a suppressor to a customer via a Form-4.  He doesn't want to have anything to do with e forms.  So, I downloaded the latest BATF Form-4 PDF directly from the BATF website.  We had no issues completing the first Form-4 copy (ATF Copy).  But there is no way to complete the next two Form-4 copies (ATF Copy 2 - To Be Returned to Registrant and CLEO Copy). 

I would have thought the information we entered into 'ATF Copy' would have automatically been copied into the next two copies.  But no, that did not occur.  Plus, you cannot directly key anything whatsoever into copies two and three.  All the entry areas are blocked.   So how in the hell are we to complete the entire Form-4?

Heres a crazy notion......print it off and use this thing called a PEN.

This isn't a new problem, but a known issue.  Same as trying to print forms off using an Apple device as it puts an "X" over the signature section of the form

As Got Uzi said, it's a known software glitch.  For some reason, my PC (Win 11 OS w/ Firefox browser) doesn't seem to have the issue but many others do.  you may want to try a different browser or like he said use a pen.

... or you could just tell your customer to grow up.  The feds will have the same information on him whether he files electronically or by mail or by carrier pigeon so all he's doing by refusing to use eforms is delaying the transfer

I just print two copies of the first page and send that in.  Been working fine for several years now.   They can barely read the info on the form, much less the fine print at the bottom.  Years ago the form would populate the other copies, but that has not worked for several years now.  It's not a glitch, it's by design.

Another crazy notion....many of us can type faster than you can write with a pen, and with no errors on the form for bad penmanship. 

How did we ever survive before computers and auto fill on a form?  I swear we have peaked as a society and are on the downward slide due to lack of common sense and ability to think outside the box. 

This has been known for ages...another technological PITA.

Just print and sign in triplicate the first form (the one with "ATF Copy" in red at the bottom).

Put the payment info on only one of the 2 forms to be sent back to the ATF.

The 3rd copy goes to the CLEO - you don't put any payment info on that form and can leave out your SSN (but they can find that out very easily) so I put it down anyway - also helps distinguish you from other people who may have the same name and a criminal record - just ask me how I know!

The ATF and CLEO don't seem care - as long as all the necessary info is there.  

As Johnson said, I prefer computer, actually faster for me, easier to read and less mistakes or room for error.

Handwritten forms work too.

Sometimes I use an old fashioned typewriter just for fun!

If you have Adobe paid software...you can import the PDF and manipulate it as you wish.

Edited by maxfaxdude

• 4 weeks later...

Dealing with ATF editable forms can be a pain. Open in different pdf reader sometimes fixes it. 

Most of the time I just use Acrobat to fix it and save a copy for the future 

Too bad your customer doesn't want eForm 4.. That gets approved less than 2 days. Maybe talk with them to reconsider.. Days vs months is well worth it. 

I've done eForm 4 electronically but mailed in fingerprint cards. That was painless but EFT files are easier and faster. The EFT file does not have a time limit