The RIA way of listing WH guns is now on GB

I love the way RIA has listed West Hurley Thompson’s in their auctions as “A serial number range” as they don’t want to call it what it is in hopes an uneducated buyer will pay more since it’s “so new looking” well here’s one listed on GunBroker using that same thought process. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1048770526

"1928 Thompson 45 runs perfect. On a Form 4 The charging knob comes loose from the actuator and need to be rewelded."

Seriously?  How about "POS needs to be used as a paperweight and replaced with a forged GI part that won't hit you in the face"

• Like 2

Why would you not do the part replacement prior to selling the firearm at auction? Selling a project (especially because it is a WH) will just lower the selling price.

9 hours ago, Outsider said:

Why would you not do the part replacement prior to selling the firearm at auction? Selling a project (especially because it is a WH) will just lower the selling price.

There is still a lot of uninformed owners and sellers concerning some of the short comings for the Auto-Ordnance West Hurley Thompson submachine guns. It may be the seller does not know the two-piece actuator is not made to proper specification and the cocking ears can fly off during firing. Or they don't care. Certainly, a smooth ball USGI or a Waffenmeister 1928 actuator would be an ideal placement actuator. Those familiar with the West Hurley Thompson guns can immediately tell the fire control levers and magazine catch on this Thompson are West Hurley cast parts. I would not be surprised if the two-piece buffer pilot has never been replaced. And that can be a serious problem! 

For the new members on the forum interested in the West Hurley Thompson guns, I suggest reading my 2011 Small Arms Review magazine story:

https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=224

An update to this story can be found in my fourth book, THOMPSON: Colt's, West Hurley's & More. 

• Like 1

The guy has a picture of the West Hurley marking, and is completely honest

about the actuator. If you don't like West Hurley guns, OK, but you certainly can't

say that the guy is misleading anyone.

Bob

• Like 2

Didn’t say he was misleading, but it’s the same tactic used by Rock Island. They use that “A serial number range” but never say it’s a West Hurley. You have to look close at the pictures and see it is indeed a WH gun.

No where did I say he was being dishonest or “misleading” simply stating that buyers should educate themselves on different methods of listing items and unique ways sellers will list an item. 

I don’t really care what your opinion is as you will argue anything or find fault with things I post as I’m just an arm chair armorer. Far as I’m concerned, you can keep your opinions to yourself and not comment on anything I post. 

• Like 1

I have a friend who just had to have a Thompson and didn't know the difference.  He bought a West Hurley and was all proud of it and all.  When I broke it to him, the expression on his face was a "kodak moment" for sure!  He just didn't know, it was his first Machinegun.  He had problems with it and didn't know why, which is why I explained it to him.  FYI, I don't have a problem with West Hurley's.  If that's what you want, great.  I PERSONALLY do not like it when sellers don't disclose it right off the bat.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Got Uzi said:

Didn’t say he was misleading, but it’s the same tactic used by Rock Island. They use that “A serial number range” but never say it’s a West Hurley. You have to look close at the pictures and see it is indeed a WH gun.

No where did I say he was being dishonest or “misleading” simply stating that buyers should educate themselves on different methods of listing items and unique ways sellers will list an item. 

I have to agree. West Hurley guns are in a class by themselves and everyone in the collecting world knows it. He should have clearly stated, "1928 West Hurley"......

On 5/3/2024 at 10:44 AM, StrangeRanger said:

"1928 Thompson 45 runs perfect. On a Form 4 The charging knob comes loose from the actuator and need to be rewelded."

Seriously?  How about "POS needs to be used as a paperweight and replaced with a forged GI part that won't hit you in the face"

A similar thing happens with 21 Colts as well.  Would that be your same opinion of a Colt?

While there have been issues with a small number of WH guns over the years, there are more owner issues, and the fact that WH guns see tons more rounds through them than other Thompsons, generally by new guys into MG's that learn on them.   The number of "non-running" M16's is another classic example.  It's a big number due to large ownership, use,  and of course prevalence of public comment on the web. 

I only own 5 Thompsons currently, including one WH.  If I were going to shoot one, it would be the WH, because to me they are all pretty much the same. 

• Like 1

I’d say the difference is that the Colt is a one piece until it breaks, this one is two pieces from the start. That would be a clear difference in my book. 

My shooter is my Savage M1A1 as it’s deadly accurate and the M1 type are built like tanks….cant kill them unless a torch is involved LOL

ranger1385,

I have heard many stories like that over the years. There are many buyers that will not spend the time to learn about the different Thompson variations and the pluses and mines of each. The same types are in the automobile world, actually in all worlds! Years ago, this was more understandable. With the Internet today, there is no reason not to be patient and learn more about any product you may be interested in. Those that have my books know I write about the product, the Thompson submachine gun and its many variations. My first book, Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story, is more of a history book but the rest display the many variations and tell about each one, usually from a collector or buyer point of view. 

The good news is your friend still has a valuable submachine gun that will allow him to trade up and get the Thompson gun he so desires...after he does his homework. For newbies on a limited budget, I always recommend the Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport 1928AC, the ones with the US ground off and the letter "C" overstamp on the number "1." I find this to be a great starter Thompson gun.   

Indeed Tom,

I have a WH that will be for sale around 20K with all military parts including the wood,  and a minty 28A1 at 36K.  For a guy on a budget with 22K saved up, there is one you can buy and one you can't.  They both run great, but not everyone is a collector of original 99% guns?  Good thing we have options.

And for the record, I've shot the 21 doing a 100 round mag dump with the original actuator and original drum.  I doubt I'm the first one to do so on that gun?  If you can't afford the risk for a life experience, you might be in the wrong hobby?  When we raced snomobiles across the lake over 120 mph after bar time, we only did so a couple times to get the experience you never forget.  Late 90's Thundercats!

• Like 1

"Appreciates AND makes lotsa noise". A West Hurley remains a fine investment.

Collectors, and people in general are still just as picky, but they seem a LOT less "sentimental".

I still have Grandpa's Colt 1911 from World War 1. If I told the great, great grandkids they'd say "Let's go shoot it!"

Still got my dress green uniform in the closet from 1970. Stripes, couple patches, four ribbons.

Somebody will get it at Goodwill if the moths don't get it first...      Phil

1 hour ago, anjong-ni said:

"Appreciates AND makes lotsa noise". A West Hurley remains a fine investment.

Collectors, and people in general are still just as picky, but they seem a LOT less "sentimental".

I still have Grandpa's Colt 1911 from World War 1. If I told the great, great grandkids they'd say "Let's go shoot it!"

Still got my dress green uniform in the closet from 1970. Stripes, couple patches, four ribbons.

Somebody will get it at Goodwill if the moths don't get it first...      Phil

It makes me profoundly sad to see old uniforms, awards, etc sold at an auction, especially when consigned by the family of the guy who wore them. Saw a bunch of WWII Liberator bomber manuals that belonged to a local guy who flew them in the war, sold by the family. Had his notes, sketches and all in the margins. Couple hundred bucks it got em.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jirahice said:

It makes me profoundly sad to see old uniforms, awards, etc sold at an auction, especially when consigned by the family of the guy who wore them. Saw a bunch of WWII Liberator bomber manuals that belonged to a local guy who flew them in the war, sold by the family. Had his notes, sketches and all in the margins. Couple hundred bucks it got em.

My father in law's dad served in WWI and we ended up donating all his uniforms (he kept everything) to the Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning.

Some people are just not interested in keeping such artifacts. What is most important is that somebody who does value these items picks them up and preserves them rather than them being discarded into the trash bin and lost forever.