1928 Savage Thompson, not 1928A1 for sale on GB

Mine has a nice worn finish. Correct color from what I've seen. It's not parked or blued. Where is your stamp on yours?

I'm swapping out mag release spring tomorrrow so I'll look it over real well for a light stamp. Maybe it's there and I didn't notice. I would have to be very light

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine has a nice worn finish. Correct color from what I've seen. It's not parked or blued.

Huggy,

What type of finish does your gun have if it is not Parkerized or black oxide?

dulite...........i will admit some of the roll marks are light, but some are heavy.....it was discussed 9 months ago when i bought it and compared to someone elses here with a similar serial #...since they both had similar light spots in the roll mark it was thought to be a wore out die(the light spots were identical between the 2)...i do not believe mine is refinished from the colors ive observed over the past year on this forum.it looks like a 70 year old finish, wore exactly where it should be.perfectly smooth, grey and flat...no sand blasting in anyway...i know park finish and its not park'd....if its a refinish id expect it to look better and not have edge wear....i will take a flash light to it tomorrow though and inspect it for the mark.....Giive where is your GEG stamp on yours located?

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/100_1126_zpsmn8otuql.jpg

Edited by huggytree

"dulite" is black oxide. Just like Cleanex is tissue paper. "Dulite" is just a brand name.

Darryl

i have shined a light and looked everywhere on my S1928 for a GEG marking...its just not there.....the finish is smooth and clean...if even a faint marking were there id see it...what does this mean?

also noticed my ejector is blued....lots of marks around it, so my guess is its been replaced....does blued=colt?

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/100_1137_zpsibsr56qi.jpg

Edited by huggytree

Huggy, I agree it's not there. Hard to say why. I've included a pic of my early gun with the mark. The Savage and Colt ejectors are both blued.The Savage is S marked. Like the pivot plate, careless removal of the ejector will often cause scratching of the receiver.

IMG_2265.JPG

Look at the build up of carbon in compensator. When I rebuilt my ole SA I started using 'Wolfs' ammo and I literally had to chisel the residue out. Never did get it all as I didn't want to damage the comp.

I can do better than that...

IMG_4503.JPG

IMG_4504.JPG

Bug-

That is a wonderful gun. Really nice fit and finish. My trigger finger is itchy....

Thank you, R67. The gun is no stranger to the range. See comp pics above...

Am I missing something? This is a nice gun but is there any question at all that it is

not a M1928A1? Especially with the 300,000+ serial number? (Approx late 1941)

Especially since you can SEE the ghost of the US and the A1? And the period between

the U and the S was too deep to buff out?

If the US and the A1 was buffed out then also the receiver was refinished because

the buffing would remove the blue.

Sorry but somewhere along the way somebody is trying to turn a M1928A1 into

a M1928. I am not swayed by any of the parts, the barrel, the comp, etc. as all these

can be changed.

Bob

It is my understanding that a gun stamped US 1928 A1 is a gun sold to the US government.

If a Police department ordered a gun it was necessary to remove the US and the A1 to show the gun was paid for privately and not the property of the US Government.

What is the big deal???

Jim C

Am I missing something? This is a nice gun but is there any question at all that it is

not a M1928A1? Especially with the 300,000+ serial number? (Approx late 1941)

Especially since you can SEE the ghost of the US and the A1? And the period between

the U and the S was too deep to buff out?

If the US and the A1 was buffed out then also the receiver was refinished because

the buffing would remove the blue.

Sorry but somewhere along the way somebody is trying to turn a M1928A1 into

a M1928. I am not swayed by any of the parts, the barrel, the comp, etc. as all these

can be changed.

Bob

Bob,

Exactly. The seller even added red circles around the "U.S." & "A1" Of course the 2nd "G" in "GEG" and the other markings were buffed out.

post-110-0-85839100-1486687929_thumb.jpg

Huggy, Why do you think that is that West Hurley's are going for now close to $21K ?

I know they have sold for $20k. I tried to buy a nib one for $20,000 but someone beat me to it. This was 10+ months ago. I see most listed for $21k right now. I know this doesn't mean they sell for $21k necessarily......sadly i was willing to pay $20k for one at one time because i wanted a thompson and no old ones came up for a couple months....frustrated i tried to buy a WH NIB...it was a very old serial # and had WW2 parts in it.....i assume this is why it sold high and fast

I don't really seeing anything selling and prices are dropping right now

i dont think there are many WH's not listed for over $20k right now....

Edited by huggytree

I agree with Reconbob.

It's obviously a 1928A1, and it looks like somebody tried to buff the US and A1 off the gun to turn into a fake 1928.

It's a little too convenient that the US and A1 both just happen to be barely legible.

If the US was "ground off" for a commercial sale, why would they grind off the A1 marking? The A1 does not imply government ownership.

Somebody made a fake 28 out of a 28A1.

I've seen several mint unfired or NIB WHs get knocked down on gunbroker for $20k.

Used ones usually sell for 16k to 18k.

I don't think you're going to see the prices of any transferrable MGs drop. Flat line for a while maybe, but not drop.

A price drop would mean that something is changing. It would mean the supply is getting bigger or the demand is getting smaller.

Obviously the supply is not getting bigger and I have not noticed any decrease in interest in collecting MGs.

People are kind of relaxed about guns right now because Trump won.

There was a decent sized dip in MG prices in 2010 because of the subprime bank scam that crashed the entire world economy.

A lot of people found themselves unable to pay their 3rd mortgage and all the Harleys and boats and other toys went on the market as people scrambled to avoid going bankrupt.

But after about 6 months, the prices of MGs marched right back up, in the face of a huge recession.

There was a guy in Philly who put a whole bunch of exotic high end M16s on the market a year or two ago, he created an oversupply and depressed the prices on himself. Eventually all the guns found buyers and the prices came back up.

i think prices are dropping.....mac 11's were up to 9k...now i saw one for $6,500......uzi's are mixed...some asking $15k and not selling....some selling at $11-12k.....thompsons havent risen in the year ive been into the hobby.....still $25k gets you a decent thompson.........just saw ATF/Frank having a sale to unload stuff....saw a FNC for $11,500!!!

i got 25% off asking price on a Ingram m6 2 months ago...no one wanted it.....

S&W 76 spiwak for $9k....another on GB right now for $9,500 (i believe)-not the prettiest----while others still ask $14k for theirs and dont sell....

m16a2's hit $40k a year ago(ruben)---now $30k and not hitting reserves

i think prices are dropping and i would expect them to after July 2016.....everyone who wanted bought

i have no doubts in 6 months prices will be right back up

IMO Thompson prices are stable.

I've been actively looking for over a year for a nice Colt with no drop in pricing.

That's kinda good...

Who wants to buy a depreciating "collectable" ?

and that's kinda bad...

The price is just as high.

Cant win ;)

In the last few years FNC prices went nuts so did Macs.

Registered receiver UZIs went up too.

fnc's have been stable at $13,500-14,500.....i had an opportunity to grab one for $11,500 13 months ago and it sold in an hour......now Frank has one for $11,500

he also has a $9,900 Uzi

even a mac 10 w/ suppressor for $6,500

there's a lull in he market i believe right now and deals to be had.....with lots of people trying to get pre-july 2016 pricing still

i have also seen no price drop on colt's....but not a rise either....not many original thompsons for sale ever it seems....guess that keeps prices stable....

still think the gun for sale here is a great deal for someone....id buy it, restamp it and refinish it again....

About 4 or 5 years ago when I was looking at FNCs sears were about 3K.

Rifles were and still are about 3K. Conversion is about 1K.

Select fires could be had all day at 7.5K already done.

I found 2 FACTORY FNCs at 7K each.

Still kicking myself.

huggy is right on the spot. I follow/collect/buy quite a few transferables over the years and they are dropping for a (temporary I would think) lack of demand.

Uzi and mac's are as low as I have seen and high price Ruben is not moving stuff at all except in rare cases. Heck even AUGS are down.

If your in the market, I think now might not be a bad time to be catching some good deals over the next year.

Ya someone should enlighten Ruben, Personally if i find the gun i want i'll pay the price as long as it's close to the market value. The 1 to 3 month and 8 month wait for the transfer and tax stamp is what kills me !

I agree with Reconbob.

It's obviously a 1928A1, and it looks like somebody tried to buff the US and A1 off the gun to turn into a fake 1928.

It's a little too convenient that the US and A1 both just happen to be barely legible.

If the US was "ground off" for a commercial sale, why would they grind off the A1 marking? The A1 does not imply government ownership.

Somebody made a fake 28 out of a 28A1.

To what end?