Sheriff's Office to sell Colt 1921 Thompson

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Webbly went for $500 and the Fed Labs went for $900. The buyer of the Fed Labs gun donated it to the Cleveland Police Museum.

There was a Winchester 1897 field gun that had been chopped down, crown recut, no bead, 75% or so and it brought $900......last night was more like a charity benefit and not a realistic gun auction. Had it not been going to support the local SO, I suspect that the prices would have been realistic and half of what they were.

I am wondering since the funds will go directly to the Sheriff Dept. would you be able to claim charity deduction on the 90K less appraised value?

Frank

P.S. Got Uzi, I enjoyed our talk the other week. Got the real prospective of your feelings on this Thompson.

I am wondering since the funds will go directly to the Sheriff Dept. would you be able to claim charity deduction on the 90K less appraised value?

Frank

P.S. Got Uzi, I enjoyed our talk the other week. Got the real prospective of your feelings on this Thompson.

What were the feelings on this gun? Not the nicest one to ever come on the market I imagine.

Frank

What were the feelings on this gun? Not the nicest one to ever come on the market I imagine.

83 Baron,

I wasn't at the auction but several members here viewed the gun at the Hill Family Thompson Shoot in August. It is a very nice, well cared for, Colt Thompson.

Not good for people like me trying to buy my first Thompson lol

seems like endless $35k colt thompsons have been for sale...a few a month

when i was looking i had a choice of nothing for months...i had to find one sitting around for 1 year on an obscure website and get his price down....this may be a crazy auction, but over all its a great time to be a buyer....finding a thompson is not like buying a M16 or Uzi.....got to wait for a good one

I'm not the world's expert on Thompson prices but it looks like a very nice $45,000 gun to me.

I'm not too ready to accept the idea that multiple people bid the Tommy to the moon in order to help out the department.

People might bid heavy if they are feeling generous but are multiple people all fired up to make a $40,000+ gift to a police department? I doubt it.

Not good for people like me trying to buy my first Thompson lol

seems like endless $35k colt thompsons have been for sale...a few a month

when i was looking i had a choice of nothing for months...i had to find one sitting around for 1 year on an obscure website and get his price down....this may be a crazy auction, but over all its a great time to be a buyer....finding a thompson is not like buying a M16 or Uzi.....got to wait for a good one

I don't think you can call this a "great time to be a buyer".

We're about 30 years past the actual great time to be a buyer. LOL

It does seem like sales are slow now but it's still just a handful of guns to supply a nation of 350 million people.

Our new pal Petroleum is looking for an M1A1, I'm not aware of any glut of them on the market, falling prices, etc.

A well publicised auction IMHO is the best way for a seller to get top dollar for a Thompson....especially a nice Colt. In the course of building my collection I bought and sold several Colts and the buying is always easier.On the sale side all you hear about are the warts and pimples and 1985 prices. I got so fed up at the Las Vegas and Phoenix and Big Sandy Shows that i consigned to Julia . They found customers who must have liked my "beaters" because they paid more for the Colts than anyone offered me? Most important was that I did not loose on any of them and Julia did all paperwork and shipping. Assuming government rules stay the same,the future prices of these high condition Colts will continue to sky rocket. Unlike stocks or real estate, they are not leveraged (cash ) and the form 4 makes them illiquid from a speculators standpoint.Never a bad time to buy a nice Colt (or any Thompson)

A few of the St. Louis Police Department Colt Thompsons will be on display (and for sale) at the Thompson Collectors Association (TCA) Show & Shoot this upcoming weekend. That, and Colt Choppers updated presentation on the Baby Face Nelson Colt, is enough reason to attend on Saturday. The fantastic shoot program for Sunday is just icing on the cake!