Your opinion on an unmarked TSMG barrel ,Colt?

This barrel came with a Savage receiver, colt lower and colt internals.

Sandman 57 's Navy colt barrel is used in these photos (bottom) My Savage Barrel is used (top)

The barrel in question is in the middle . It is unmarked ,Threaded but not drilled for the cutts.

What do you think?

20171221_104558.jpg

20171221_104803.jpg

20171221_104538.jpg

20171221_104546.jpg

20171221_105136 (1).jpg

IMHO,

This is a very good example of attempting to "Verify" the provenance a barrel without any connection to the firearm it

was removed from.

This, IMHO, Is why it's better to buy/sale an entire parts kit, it takes the mystery out of the question and proves its origin.

Without "Proof," I would assume non original Colt and would value it accordingly.

Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 1

The cutt's that was on the barrel was a type 4. I do not have an earlier cutt's to try on it.

Are they threaded differently?

Sandman 1957 has the barrel in his possession,so I will let him pick this thread up for more detailed information.

Thank you for the input.

This barrel was with all of the other verified Colts parts. The Savage barrel that was originally on the Savage 1928A1 was welded shut at the chamber end. I agree with Colt Chopper that when you have the entire parts kit, it removes guessing and endless speculation from the game.

This forum is very good at comparing photos, and identifying in most cases what is and what is not. I have seen two Colt pattern finned barrels. I have two Colt with the same pattern finned barrel, and 11317 that had a WWII barrel on it. I had a replica made for 11317 as you recall. Its in the video of the 1921 vs 1928. I am picking this barrel up, as I think it is most likely original, and will pay accordingly.

If anyone out there has photos of the early and late pattern COLT Finned barrels, please post them. This may be the most correct barrel I will find for 11317. I intend to keep the "shooter" repro 1921A pattern on it for shooting, and when the time comes, this barrel will be the spare that will conveys with 11317 as a possible original COLT Barrel. (And stated as such when it moves).

If I can ever make a TCA or TATA meeting we can take good photos of known examples with associated SNs to use as a pinned reference.

In the interim, comparing facts is what we are trying to do.

Sandman,

When you mention early and late pattern Colt barrels are you referring to the threaded boss on the front of the barrel for the 1st type and 2nd type Cutts compensators? If you are referring to the fin thickness then I would point out that the fin thickness varies on Colt barrels all through production. If the barrel you are purchasing is truly a Colt barrel and is threaded for the Type 2 compensator then I would suggest it was a replacement barrel (you mentioned no cross-pin drilling) made for the Type 2 compensator which was introduced around 1932.

Agree with Colt Chopper and gijive, above.

It would be extremely difficult to authenticate a loose barrel as being from a Colt Thompson based on the thickness of the barrel fins. And based solely on pictures. We have Board members that have seen enough original barrels over the years that may be able to make an educated guess or observation with a hands on inspection. The TATA and/or TCA Shows would be an excellent place to ask for opinions. High quality reproduction barrels for Colt Thompsons have been manufactured by several sources over the years. Marketing a barrel as a "possible" Colt's barrel would add very little value in my opinion. Of course, this barrel would never be original to any Thompson gun it may be installed on in the future.

. I think one way to help authenticate a barrel would be to examine the threads

at the rear end of the barrel. The Colt barrels were all made at the same time in

1921-1922 in the same factory on the same machinery and there are only roughly

15,000 of them plus whatever extras were made for spares.

If a barrel with thin, rounded fins such as this was not a true original barrel

then it was made at a different time, on a different machine, using different tooling

and cutters. While it it realitvely simple to exactly duplicate the fins on the barrel -

many have done it - it would be very difficult to duplicate the machining marks and

finish of the THREAD. If you have atrained eye you can identify a CNC machined

barrel at a glance because if the finish and if the barrel was made by hand or if

the barrel is an early Savage barrel then the machine marks would probably be

different having been made years later on different machines.

I have a Colt barrel, and some military barrels and I will look and see if the

detailsof the thread are noticeably different.

Bob