Someone got a bargain

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/87/1452/us-autoordnance-1928a1-class-iiinfa-cr-fully-transferable

Definitely a "shooter grade" but it's all there and all in at least acceptable condition.

The IRS replacement S/N must have turned people off

It hammered at $20K so $24K plus tax and shipping

Looks like the serial number was ground first. Then, someone realized that the serial number could still be recovered, and they finished the job by milling out the entire area. Might still be recoverable, though.

Forensic Ballistics - Recovering Hidden Serial Numbers From Firearms (ezinearticles.com)

Edited by TSMGguy

22 hours ago, full auto 45 said:

Wonder why the original numbers were ground off? Last time I saw numbers ground from a Tommy, turned out to be from some gangster named Nelson. 

In my collection I have two Thompsons with their serial numbers chiseled off, (Model of 1921) and ground off, (1928A1), both of these weapons were recovered in Ireland.

594 Mdl 21 & serial No. markings.JPG

No.14 receiver serial.JPG

13 hours ago, BillyDixon said:

come to think about it ive never seen an IRS number that ended in a letter, correct me if im wrong, just sayn

Billy,

Yes, the numbers sometimes do end with an alpha character.  See attached:

BATF Registration Serial # 75809(1).jpg

Question for the brain trust regarding 8498A.  When would this have likely been re-registered?   Would it have been during the short amnesty period around 1968, or could have it been "found" and re-registered anytime after 1934 (and prior to the closing of the registry in '86)?  Is it reasonable to assume that at one point it was likely stolen with the original # ground off?

Edited by Varminter

Did locate one of the Moran Thompsons that was used for the Hawthorne Hotel shoot. In at least 80% shape.all matched not molested.Won't be found in any book I checked them all.{impossible to have it for sale}but can't imagine what it would bring at Auction. Since my Colt St. Vals 38 HAMMERED OUT AT $197 G the past year.

As we all know the stuff is now all insane pricing.

RON K.

1 hour ago, inertord said:

thanks interord. i think i deleted the info after all was said.the newest find was nice.{but useless on a sale deal just historical. to locate..on the 38 i still have some file info and the Loftus letter and pictures. and my old appraise letter and the Chicago p.d. file picture from Beradi from the Tribune.nice history, I hope the new owner got the rounds with it that was found in gun. I enclosed those years ago.

Edited by colt21a

2 hours ago, giantpanda4 said:

Ron - tell me more about #38? How was that involved in the SVDM?

I had a bunch of stuff i sold off over the decades.and much today went thru me one way or another.{that i see being resold} who needs the limelight just the green. And to me it was always about the story and History...I always enjoyed that and made many a good friend.