My New Herigstad Thompson Viola Case

Recently I decided to get a new Thompson case. I had been eyeing Gordon's new Viola case since he introduced it some time ago. My now venerable Ess & Ess customized violin case, though a great conversation piece, was not really made to carry all the weight of a Thompson, drum, etc. And, it is starting to show even more age than its already 80 plus years! So, I am going to relegate it as a museum piece.

P1010005.JPG

Enter Gordon's Viola case. True, it is several times bigger than a violin case. But as he has specifically designed the innards to hold the Thompson gun, drums, sticks, and what not, I saw it is a great range case and more interesting than a police style/FBI case. I placed an order for case #138, and it arrived yesterday. All I can say is wow! There is no doubt it is well designed. The external hardware is very robust, so no fear of the handle ripping off when you pick it up. I don't know if this was Gordon's work or that of the case maker. Interestingly, the case came with a John Pearce Strings bumper sticker. I don't know how, exactly, the case was designed or if the sticker is kind of a joke ("hey, you play strings? Me too. Lemme see yours..."). Nevertheless, outside, the case is wonderful. It does have brass hardware "feet" on the hinge side. I would have liked to see the same feet on the base so as to reduce wear when you open it up. A minor consideration.

P1010007.JPG

Inside, it is all Gordon. The fit and trim is perfect. The case holds--very well thought out I might add--the complete gun. A nice felt-like "blanket" come standard and covers the gun, further protecting it. Two large finger holes allow you to lift the entire top "tray" out, exposing the bottom section. Here, miraculously, you can store a C and L drum, up to four 20 or 30 round stick mags, plus a box of ammo. I currently house three 20's, plus my shave brush oiler, and a copy of the TSMG instruction manual, plus a copy of my Form 4.

Gordon advises against storing and transporting loaded drums/sticks in the case. This would impart excessive weight to be sure. Already, with just the three loaded 20's, it is heavy and becomes somewhat unbalanced when carrying it. Still, I think the case could carry the weight of everything loaded, but I'm not sure my arm could!

There are more pics of the case at http://www.pbase.com...stad_viola_case

Get one while you can! I don't know how many Gordon produced, or how many are left. His website would tend to indicate only 80 were produced? http://thompsonaccessories.com/

Rust

• Like 1

If the Old Man likes ya, he'll hand deliver the case to you... That is Ole #315 he is holding in the case. :happy:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/z3bigdaddy/Thompson%20Stuff/Gordoncasea021010.jpg

Will they only hold Colts????

A quick check of his website and questions can be answered. Direct from Gordon's site:

"This Case is designed to accommodate all models of Colts, the AO & Savage Thompsons and by removing the center divider board, will also accommodate the M1A1 military model full length, without the compensator. In the area under the divider board, are "C" drum, "L" drum and stick magazine storage."

Ron

You can bid on this one. Someone over bid me, I quit at $325 + extra expenses. I did not go any higher also because I am not sure it is complete! Missing the removable piece?? Whaddya think?

https://www.proxibid...5305&rfpb=0#Top

Edited by giantpanda4

• 1 month later...

If the Old Man likes ya, he'll hand deliver the case to you... That is Ole #315 he is holding in the case. :happy:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/z3bigdaddy/Thompson%20Stuff/Gordoncasea021010.jpg

I have finally taken the plunge and am in the process of buying a case from Gordon, I am not expecting him to hand deliver to me though! Now my predicament is lack of a C drum for the storage compartment in the case!.

Stay safe

Richard

• 2 years later...

Rust, I loved your line in the original post:

"...a minor consideration". Minor...major...viola...music...

I've worked with drummers where a Thompson could provide a steadier beat.

God Bless Gordon. Sure do miss him.

• 1 month later...

Hi PPGcowboy

I never met Gordon - but we spoke at the end of 2014 when I contacted him to ask if he would ever be making any more Viola cases.........

I acknowledged that I had 'missed the boat' by a few years and would likely NEVER find one for sale ..................... anyhows - he must have liked me - as he contacted me a week later and said he had a case for me !!!!!!

It made it's way to me in Calgary about a month later and is SPLENDID !

A slight wrangling withFedex over their charges but that is little compared to having the case

I think it was the last case Gordon had and he said it had been reserved by someone that never paid.

I was just lucky I guess - and Gordon could hear the desperation in my voice

A great man sadly missed :(

You will have to keep looking thru the auctions - they do come up !

Good hunting !

Roy

Hi PPGcowboy

I never met Gordon - but we spoke at the end of 2014 when I contacted him to ask if he would ever be making any more Viola cases.........

I acknowledged that I had 'missed the boat' by a few years and would likely NEVER find one for sale ..................... anyhows - he must have liked me - as he contacted me a week later and said he had a case for me !!!!!!

It made it's way to me in Calgary about a month later and is SPLENDID !

A slight wrangling withFedex over their charges but that is little compared to having the case

I think it was the last case Gordon had and he said it had been reserved by someone that never paid.

I was just lucky I guess - and Gordon could hear the desperation in my voice

A great man sadly missed :(

You will have to keep looking thru the auctions - they do come up !

Good hunting !

Roy

Roy,

Thanks for the well wishes. As luck would have it, shortly after I posted, I got a PM from an attendee at the SAR show in early December and I managed to get one. It is a thing of beauty. Mine has the number 122 on it. I feel extremely lucky to have acquired it.

• 5 months later...

Hello guys, i had the honor to deal with Gordon and get one of his cases for my West hurley. he is right when he said you will never able to find one like it or convert an existing viloa case. Im in the music manufacturing business and knew right off who made these for Gordon and he couldnt believe that i knew who made these. it is true this is a custom made unit to his specs. I was one the last person he sold one of the last units to. The ;last one went to himself and said that no more could every be made unless someone had the love for the tommy gun as well as the place to get them done again. he supplied me with all the info for the unit and had plans to make a nicer heavier wood version but then he passed. these were made in the limited amount required by the manufacturer around 150-200. I would entertain making these but quite frankly Gordon had them made out of love for the Tommy gun. I have the same love but even know we have all the info to remake these I think its best to keep things rare and original

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't go as far to say that. With the right violin case, some imagination and re-engineering, you can make a really nice one yourself. This will probably bore some as they have been posted before, but for those that haven't seen yet, enjoy. This is an old late 1800s wooden case I adapted. I believe I have around $75 in it.

post-258557-0-81892200-1467123075_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-43673700-1467123152_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-59177500-1467123182_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-63220400-1467123217_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-17666300-1467123425_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-27486200-1467123490_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-98264800-1467123542_thumb.jpg

Edited by tray burge

I wouldn't go as far to say that. With the right violin case, some imagination and re-engineering, you can make a really nice one yourself. This will probably bore some as they have been posted before, but for those that haven't seen yet, enjoy. This is an old late 1800s wooden case I adapted. I believe I have around $75 in it.

Well done. It's the felt work, the leather straps and all the little details that make the case. Nice work. I really like the small alligator case and the $20 bills, nice touch.

Romano,

If there are people who would like to buy a new case of this quality, and the company that made them still has the means to make them, and the plans exist, then why not make another batch?

I don't see any good that would come from making everyone use a bad quality case or having some Chinese company reverse-engineer the case.

Well done. It's the felt work, the leather straps and all the little details that make the case. Nice work. I really like the small alligator case and the $20 bills, nice touch.

Thank you very much.

Romano,

I agree with Buzz. The decision to produce a new batch of these cases should be based on economic reasons, not because Gordon sponsored the first production run. The 150 to 200 cases manufactured under Gordon's supervision are neither rare or original to any production Thompson gun. They are a very nice modern day hardcase for our beloved Thompson gun. I would think any shortcomings in the original batch could be improved on in a second production run. Perhaps making the case a little sturdier and with a re-enforced carrying handle to insure it could actually safely transport a Thompson gun with loaded magazines. A choice of interior colors would also make a nice option.