Gun Broker OUCH

Auction number 1029486937

Also,  1029488359

Edited by bug
The rest

Gonna guess this came out of a PD that didn't have paper on it or didn't want the hassle of finding out if it did.  Would be a crying shame if the gun turned out to have been a transferable.

So what is your guestimate of the final price of the 1029486937 parts kit?

1029488359 "No" L-Drum

1029489858 "Police" Case with long cleaning rod?

26 minutes ago, Sandman1957 said:

1029488359 "No" L-Drum

Likely would have been less before this post appeared !!!! LOL🤣

Here's a consecutive set of drums for $50k 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1029943949 

Edited by Colt Chopper

5 hours ago, Sandman1957 said:

1029488359 "No" L-Drum

Anyone have any idea on why this drum mag is selling for almost 2.5K? What type is it?

Hi JSDKMS,

Welcome to the Thompson forum. The drum in the auction is referred to by collectors as a Stanley "NO." L drum. It is a somewhat rare variation that usually brings a premium price for those who collect Thompson drums and accessories. Knowledgeable members of this forum that may be interested can see this drum may have a few issues and are probably asking the seller for more pictures. I certainly would be. If your interested in Thompson drums and magazines, may I suggest a book by forum member Roger Herbst: Thompson Submachine Gun Magazines: 1917-2021. It is available on Amazon.com or directly from the author. This book is the current authority on the subject.

The Thompson community can be very expensive, especially if you do not know and understand the many products and variations. Books like Roger's, above, can help you avoid many expensive pitfalls.  

16 minutes ago, TD. said:

Hi JSDKMS,

Welcome to the Thompson forum. The drum in the auction is referred to by collectors as a Stanley "NO." L drum. It is a somewhat rare variation that usually brings a premium price for those who collect Thompson drums and accessories. Knowledgeable members of this forum that may be interested can see this drum may have a few issues and are probably asking the seller for more pictures. I certainly would be. If your interested in Thompson drums and magazines, may I suggest a book by forum member Roger Herbst: Thompson Submachine Gun Magazines: 1917-2021. It is available on Amazon.com or directly from the author. This book is the current authority on the subject.

The Thompson community can be very expensive, especially if you do not know and understand the many products and variations. Books like Roger's, above, can help you avoid many expensive pitfalls.  

TD - Thanks for all of the helpful information! I appreciate it!

32 minutes ago, TD. said:

Hi JSDKMS,

I find it very suspect that the seller states in the conditions that they will not answer any requests for more photos.

Since I collect all types of stuff, and own just one 1928A1, can you guys tell me why sequentially numbered drums are special? Were the drums made and matched to specific guns (sn?) or is is just that you have two drums with sequential serial numbers? I don't see why this is of value, like say two guns with sequential SN's....

I am fairly positive that the stock is not an original remington stock.  It also look like it is missing hardware on the stock.

Edited by Sandman1957
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rekraps said:

Since I collect all types of stuff, and own just one 1928A1, can you guys tell me why sequentially numbered drums are special? Were the drums made and matched to specific guns (sn?) or is is just that you have two drums with sequential serial numbers? I don't see why this is of value, like say two guns with sequential SN's....

Having a Colt C drum is pretty scarce.  They were not numbered to guns, although if you had a low numbered Colt and a drum with the same number it would be cool, I believe there are a few out there that have matched up and L or C drum to a 3 digit gun.  Having sequential numbers is unique and probably not very common at all.  However the premium placed on them seems wayyyy optimistic, IMO, but I’m not a player.

Ron

12 hours ago, ron_brock said:

Having a Colt C drum is pretty scarce.  They were not numbered to guns, although if you had a low numbered Colt and a drum with the same number it would be cool, I believe there are a few out there that have matched up and L or C drum to a 3 digit gun.  Having sequential numbers is unique and probably not very common at all.  However the premium placed on them seems wayyyy optimistic, IMO, but I’m not a player.

Ron

Thanks 

So given what that kit went for, does that mean that the Colt parts market is coming down?  Normally a kit like that would have been in the $8k-$10k range.  Have we seen the peak on inflated prices and are they starting to come back to reality?

That being said, I can't believe that case went for what it did.

1 hour ago, Got Uzi said:

So given what that kit went for, does that mean that the Colt parts market is coming down?  Normally a kit like that would have been in the $8k-$10k range.  Have we seen the peak on inflated prices and are they starting to come back to reality?

That being said, I can't believe that case went for what it did.

I believe that prices for luxury and/or discretionary items has flattened or weakened in the last several months.  Some feel that this may be a harbinger of an imminent recessionary period.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Police style hardcases are not very common. Original FBI style hardcases are much easier to find. This original case was in pretty good condition. I was not surprised to see the final price go past $4000, almost to $5000. Rarity and condition will usually have an impact with price.

The Colt parts kit would most likely have received higher bids if the butt stock had been original and in nice condition. The grip was also questionable.