Gangster Gun, Serial # Revealed !

Perhaps we could crowd fund getting those VHS tapes converted to digital copies, with those contributing getting a copy?

Just an idea.

Please, if anyone has a copy of "Gangsters a Golden Age" narrated by Patrck O'Neal I have been searching for a copy for years!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gangsters_a_golden_age

Great Gangster, Thompson and other related info!

I contacted the production company but they had no interest in pulling the master to produce a copy. I originally saw it on the cable channel Prism in the 1990's.

Any leads are appreciated!

TC

Might check with Helmer, Myself, never heard of the film.

wwii- to copy the VHS would be rather pricey and a bit of a pain. A lot are old copies of copies and some combination of 4-5.

One I found was an interview with the gal that was there the night Dillinger was killed. She is pictured making the death mask. Great lady, she even visited me when on a little vacation, VERY much with it.

OCM

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the Baby Face Nelson gun, still running down leads & theories. Rethinking the Little Bo battle with the writing of Pinkston saying there were 6 Thompsons, and so in the Helmer Baby Face Nelson book.

Jack had another good theory, I think Chuck is running something down on that.

Lots of mysteries on Mr. Nelson's Thompson, always is on gangster stuff.

OCM

Please, if anyone has a copy of "Gangsters a Golden Age" narrated by Patrck O'Neal I have been searching for a copy for years!

Any leads are appreciated!

TC

Not exactly near Florida.

VHS Tape:

Chicago Public Library

Harold Washington Library Center

Chicago, IL 60605 United States

http://www.worldcat.org/title/gangsters-a-golden-age/oclc/221474070

Update on the Baby Face Nelson gun, still running down leads & theories. Rethinking the Little Bo battle with the writing of Pinkston saying there were 6 Thompsons, and so in the Helmer Baby Face Nelson book.

Jack had another good theory, I think Chuck is running something down on that.

Lots of mysteries on Mr. Nelson's Thompson, always is on gangster stuff.

OCM

Fans of the Baby Face gun have waited this long for the story to unfold, so a little longer won't kill us. :)

Rob

I'm more active ( mouth) on the forum, so post what I can and what we find.

It's like a picture puzzle with Nelson holding a Thompson, and trying to set the pieces together.

Jack has the pieces that show the Thompson and Nelson's face, going from there.

OCM

• 4 weeks later...

Nelson Gun update- Researching the Little Bohemia guns-

We got a copy from Larry Wack, guns that the FBI kept, with serial numbers and some history. The revolvers traced to the Dillinger/Van Meter Warsaw robbery. The two Thompsons pictured in the garage, we know about already. The long arms were still under investigation. ( Winchesters 351, Model 94 ) CC did find a picture of a shotgun photographed in two different takes with the garage weapons recovered.

A 22 rifle listed was traced , spotted in San Antonio in the back seat of the Nelson'1933 Essex Terraplane 8. Van Meter had an Essex too.

Still following the two accounts of 6 Thompsons, shotguns and vests from the Joe Pinkston accounts.

So still plodding along on this Baby Face Nelson Thompson. Never ending fun. Some good theories too.

OCM

• 2 weeks later...

I googled Nelson 1933 Essex Terraplane 8, and there were a whole bunch of auto enthusiasts that had info on the event. Might try the same.

Looks like Detective Colt Chopper has made some good progress on the Nelson Thompson- We ( I'm just sideline helping) have a list of the history of the gun, with a void from when Nelson took possession , to the 68 amnesty then on to Colt Chopper.

Have discovered such things as the guy's name and history that is pointing to the Nelson guns at Little Bohemia, attempting to contact his son now, who it appears still lives in the area.

Good leds coming up too, out of St Paul.

Talked to CC this morning, I think he's now got a good list of the whereabouts of the 5 Lebman/Nelson Thompsons, including his, # 5487, that were shipped to Nelson in St Paul. A check-off list you might say. Amazing little side history popping up too, love that stuff.

I've never been involved in such depth of research of the Little Bohemia battle as this one. Didn't ever think I could say that, thought I was the ultimate outlaw geek on the subject. All these little tie-in are coming together.

About it, moving forward still- Exciting stuff.

Colt Chopper is a great guy, super historian/researcher, glad he owns the Nelson Thompson , except for if I owned it !

OCM

• Upvote 1

Wow.......what a find.im in agreement that the grinding off of the serial numbers would have the same pattern as they were probably done close to the same time by the same person,and looking at the photos......that pattern matches pretty darn close. Edited by MARK2112

• 9 months later...

Colt Chopper hit the jackpot today... Got his information from the FOIA on his Baby Face Nelson Thompson in the mail today.

Amazing history on the gun. CC is off to Knob Creek, will fill in the history on the gun and all when he returns.

Teaser: it was used by Nelson and his gang in a bank robbery & shoot-out................... 1930s. Totally documented, and more.

stay tuned.

OCM

Nelson wanted P.jpg

Ron,

He can fill you in on the Nelson gun. Chuck got the final piece to the puzzle in some stuff too. Amazing find today !

CC called me from his plane, a little hard to hear, but got a lot of stuff.

Rumor had it, that Weinstien was going to produce a movie about Colt Chopper's life and cast Paul Reuben as Colt Chopper but the whole thing is upside down now.

I never thought Gulfstreams would be so loud. Maybe he was on his way to upgrade the Cessna and hadnt picked up the Gulfstream yet.

That part about the movie is funny stuff. Cant wait to hear the news. Theres a few new gangster guns on the market. Likely none will too this one, but should be some interesting research.

Ron

Being stupid here. I have a question. How could this gun be registered with serial numbers being ground off without the barrel being removed by someone. I think this is a great find and I love reading this history on it. Was i registered under the number found on the inside of the receiver in the first place.

Charlie

Not a stupid question. This Colt could have been registered with any number permanently stamped on it as long as the number was not already in the Registry. What happened was much simpler. The Thompson was numbered (hand stamped) by an IRS employee with an IRS provided number. That IRS number is the number of record for registration purposes. The original serial number is immaterial in the eyes of today's BATF. This was a common occurrence for many years.

Charlie-

Barrel was removed by CC, but this was recently when he found the secret number. I think David posted a video of the barrel being removed , to reveal the number, somewhere on the forum. When he gets back, we can find out more. He already has a good paper-trail on the gun, but now it a different game.

OCM

Colt Chopper called, said he and his group were back from Knob Creek, his pilot said they were 40 minutes outside Indianapolis, starting their descent, so would be brief.

Will send stuff when he gets back and settled and all. This Nelson gun has quite the history and quite the mystery to it.

This is going to be fun and stunning Thompson history.

OCM