Hyman S. Lebman, Gunsmith To The Outlaws

• 4 weeks later...

Nice old shotgun! Been buying a few "outlaw" guns myself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A few odd points...

A late Uncle of mine was huge into Lebman lore

Couple things he claimed

First of all Lebman didn't get out of gun mods after his "troubles". Allegedly he was the man behind the "Cuban Carbines" carried by some American supported counter revolutionaries in the abortive Bay of Pigs landing. These were highly modified Winchester 07's in 9mm with front and rear vertical grips, selective fire fed by a PO8 artillery drum. Somewhere in an old GUNS {?} magazine I have a pic of a Cubano Contra holding one. The issue was published back in the mid 70s.

Allegedly there is one example on display at the Cuban memorial museum there. Keep trying to get Canuck friends to shoot some images but no luck as yet.

Second, while I understand the focus of the thread is Lebman's Gangland guns he allegedly refined the mini 1911 concept and came up with a cast aluminum combination vertical foregrip/slotted compensator. I have one of these. It's very well made. Unsure of it's vintage, came out of Uncle's collection however he insisted it is a late Lebman. Attaches to the frames dust cover directly with two screws. I am not attached to it, considered building it up on an 80% frame but what's the fun in that. Better it ends up with someone who wants to build an AOW.

Have a destroyed select fire Lebman frame and guts, no slide. Saw cut top to bottom through the magazine well. Same source, a bit rusty. A seizure from decades ago in Milwaukee. That one is set up with an actual base that is silver brazed to the dust cover but is missing the forward grip. It's packed away in one of the many tubs of mixed parts kits but I do have the later grip/comp assm in hand.

I'll work on digging out the kit and cut frame, if nothing else I see this rarity deserves proper documentation.

Lebman was one of those special characters the powers that be sometimes attacked, other times bought his great talent has been my read on that history

much like extremely talented criminal Hackers today.

just a far different era when the hardware was everything.

If you are interested OCM drop me a PM

have a mess of this stuff...

Yes, I sent you a PM. Interested of course.

New Lebman Winchester in the works-

Starting the build on another Lebman conversion 07. This one will have the patina of one that may of been sitting around like the Tucson ones. Now just waiting to secure the proper 07 for my project. CJL is doing the same sometime, so will have good Winchester 07 gunsmithing support from him. Got all the parts now, just need to secure the right 07 #s if I can.

Having two of them will pretty much secure the Tucson collection that I want.

BTW, Bull Creek is selling the complete conversions now if anyone is interested, bout 1100 clams They do a killer job, guns look new.

OCM

Edited by OCM

• 1 month later...

Second phase of the build... Next : barrel will be wacked off and threaded for the compensator, then start the complete wood redo and forearm patina. CJL built me a cool tool to remove the Forearm tip nut- slick !

My goal is to have it look like a 1934 Lebman conversion Winchester 1907 351, that looks like it would today but being stored in a Tucson Police museum and handled about 2000 times by the public, sorta.

OCM

Edited by OCM
  • Upvote 1

Thanks, fun project. I'll be stalled now till the barrel comes back from the Gunsmith, chopped & threaded for the long comp. Will start on the custom aluminum forend and Thompson grip.

OCM

I don't know, that's why it's going to Bull Creek Arms, they are the ones that have been building the Lebman 07s you see for sale. CJL said he wouldn't want to try it either. Can't re-thread a barrel. I'm having Tom ( Bull Creek Arms) check the spring & buffer as long as it's all apart . Guard assembly looks fine to me, much as I know. From what I've read the guard assembly usually is in great shape and it was.

The forearm was cracked and repaired which is usual, but won't effect me any way. Nice 5 round magazine.

Has all the correct Dillinger/Lebman parts, except FA. Plans are to start on the front while waiting for it's return.

To be honest I'm not 100% sure they have to remove the barrel to cut and thread it. Possibly they have it in a vice, chop the barrel to size and a come on from the other side and thread it ? Barrel has to be cut straight on for sure. I actually talked to my local Smith about it and he suggested having someone that's done these to have it done, CJL said the same. I think good advice.

Winchester always claims you need special Winchester tools and should send it back to the factory, but CJL and others have another opinion about that. I;m a very limited hobby-type gunsmith wanna be, so I wasn't going to do it, out of my range and tooling and limits.

OCM

Noticed on their web page, I knew this but forgot, if they pull the barrel off your gun, it's an additional 50 bucks. So, it looks like they do pull the barrel to cut & thread. It appears pretty straight forward like a take down, just vice and unscrew, but I'm betting there's something else involved. I don't want to be that guy. If I found an old rusty one sitting in the back yard, I'd do it, but that aint going to happen.

Bull Creek called, gun is on it's way back- WOW.

I'm already starting to match the paint color, Lebman used to paint the aluminum front , best I can. I'm using personal photos of the 07s and ones taken by my Pal Sheriff Hudson when they pulled them out. It's a reddish-rusty-brown color. Very confusing & trial & error but I think I'm damn close.

I made a mock forearm out of a PVC pipe and cut the top out to match the Lebman one, I'll try it for looks on the incoming 07. Interesting color that got me thinking, I've seen this shade before on the old 30s cars I've worked on, the old red primer paint they used. Wonder if Lebman used automotive 1934 primer on the aluminum forearm ? Never know but an interesting thought.

Edited by OCM

Sandy,

I'd be real interested to see what color you finally go with, if you're willing to divulge the information. I to have all the bits, but will likely me much longer out on putting my kit together due to other priorities. It's been a long project as I bought the comp years ago from their first run, but missed out on the forearm. When they posted they were running another batch, I kept begging to get a forearm, but had to wait until the guns were assembled to see if a spare would be available. Lo and behold, I was able to get a forearm on the loose, which pleased me and prevented me from needing to buy another 07.

The only thing that bugs me is the brown color. I think you're getting close. Will you keep it as an aged model, recreating the paint wear of JD's gun or have it look as new?

Ron

AGED MODEL. I already have the gun, and all it's patina. The buttstock will be sanded ( lightly) and oiled, but leave the old character to it. The front grip , I'm working on, using two stains, to match a Chestnutish color of my Colt 21AC. ( my call, the original is long gone ) . Don't want a perfect match to the buttstock, Lebman wasn't doing that.

Tom called today, about my 07, did his miracle work on it, spring was OK, buffer shot, replaced tang filler screws, front sight, etc.

Of course you can tap into my project, I get obsessed on these projects, my files are open on what I'm doing.

The Lebman has to look like what we think it looks like , in our "Mind's Eye" . I have another brownish color I'm working on too.

Yes, don't like the Bull Creek color, but they don't have a big choice with the paint they are using.

FUN project. ( bad thumbs, but worth it )

OCM

Ron,

I consulted with CJL on the barrel, and decided to send it off to Tom at Bull Creek. I've already posted this above. If you haven't cut and threaded the barrel yet, suggest doing that with Tom, the buffer, spring etc. Sounds like you have tho.

I used 000- 0000 steel wool & sanded down the forearm to remove most of the Bull Creek brown, leaving the normal non-wear areas lite.

The aluminum has striations in it from the casting I guess. I tried using paint stripper, phosphoric acid, and some other crap left over from automotive work , nothing worked. CJL thought it was baked on, probably right. I plan on probably working around these areas with the patina effect. Be a learn as I go thing- Will keep you posted. Know more when the 07 arrives this week.

OCM

Sounds great. Yeah, I mentioned to Tom, I'd be sending the barrel in for threading and fitting the comp, which I will do sooner rather than later. I like your thought on the wood. I was going to see if Dan would make me a matching buttstock and foregrip, but I like your logic behind it being OK for them to be different. Likely it will be next winter before I get to mine as I have other big projects going on this spring/summer. I guess that gives me time to think about if I want a minty Lebman like I just picked it up at the back door or a battle aged Lebman!

Ron

I removed one barrel with common tools, but I was not concerned about damage as it was junk. I think I'll likely make up some tools to work on the 07. There are some ideas in Leonard Spekin's book as he worked on some designs for tools to aid disassembly and reassembly.

Edited by dalbert

Exactly, one that looked like it did in 1934 in Tucson and one that been beat around for 75 years or so like the one in Tucson. The one in Tucson has had it ! The buttstock has City of Tucson deeply burned in the buttstock, and someone took an etching pencil and etched in very poorly in the middle of the receiver City of Tucson. Grip is not original either and a yellow sticker saying the same.

Sure Dan could make you on probably, the Lebman originals are long gone.

One thing you need to do on your 07 now, is nub off the end of the grip as Lebman did. It's pictured in two separate photos in 34. See the ones I've pictured in my above first post.

OCM

coming soon

Edited by OCM

John would of been proud.....My Lebman build & the original one in Tucson

DSCN8334.JPG

07 side.png

Edited by OCM