Perfect Thompson M1928A1 Restoration

Hello everyone!
Found an interesting video on YouTube from @Rusty_Restore
This is how he completely restores the rusty M1928A1.
BEFORE:
spacer.png

AFTER:
spacer.png

If anyone is interested, I’ll leave a link to the full video here:

1 hour ago, allweaponsww2 said:

Hello everyone!
Found an interesting video on YouTube from @Rusty_Restore
This is how he completely restores the rusty M1928A1.
BEFORE:
spacer.png

AFTER:
spacer.png

If anyone is interested, I’ll leave a link to the full video here:

Total B.S.

It's total BS. I've seen several of these so called restorations from rusty relics. For one thing most of the rust is phony. Don't know why this guy makes these videos, there must be money involved from viewers or something.     

Submarine Thompson{that's what put it in the atlantic} and now all perfect.I had #894 21a done back around 35 years ago. the only Thompson i ever had restored. pitted barrel. and yes probably a 70% gun. more finish loss and some pits; came out perfect. and no place near that garbage pit they show here.WHEN I SOLD IT I PUT IT ON TABLE WITH OTHER 21'AS AND AC;S  ALL HAD BEEN WELL OVER 95 TO 99% TEN GUNS, THE BUYER PICKED #894 and i said what it was he said that's good this is the one i want.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tiz said:

Anyone see a serial number on it?

I can see the digits 402 under the butt plate at 00:59. 

Edited by TSMGguy

Interesting video. The grip frame/receivers match. The stock number is 3462 but I can't get a good look at the butt plate. Do they offer any insight as to where the gun was found?

Yea, I vote for fake. The guy must dip and/or spray the gun with harmless gook, take photos, and then clean off the gook. For me the big error is that the gun is supposed to be badly rusted from long term exposure, yet the wood, while dirty, is not damaged or rotted in any way.

Bob

On 4/14/2024 at 10:49 PM, reconbob said:

Yea, I vote for fake. The guy must dip and/or spray the gun with harmless gook, take photos, and then clean off the gook. For me the big error is that the gun is supposed to be badly rusted from long term exposure, yet the wood, while dirty, is not damaged or rotted in any way.

Bob

Also, the lack of pitting is 100% proof that it's fake.  If a giant cake of rust forms, the iron has to come from somewhere...

Metallurgy 101, you can't make iron oxide without Iron.

3 hours ago, Doug Quaid said:

If a giant cake of rust forms, the iron has to come from somewhere...

ROFLMAO

The only "legitimate" explanation that I can think of, is that it was a fire gun, and the water from firehoses combined with heat to flash rust the steel, but not char the wood.

4 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

The only "legitimate" explanation that I can think of, is that it was a fire gun, and the water from firehoses combined with heat to flash rust the steel, but not char the wood.

Still wouldn’t explain the bandages in the foregrip, which looks really goofy

9 hours ago, Fadedkrill said:

Still wouldn’t explain the bandages in the foregrip, which looks really goofy

An excuse to show off his ability to make furniture. Any way you slice it, it's still BS...

Karl

This video is like many other well known deceptive restoration videos on youtube.  Dead giveaway is the bright orange surface rust.  Typically they soak them in a water/chemical bath for a few days or weeks, looks like really bad rust, but is very superficial, as noted before by a lack of pitting.  Easy cleanup, looks impressive and get lots of views, views equal income from youtube.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, don't forget that the guy comes up with an identically rust-caked "neato" gun 3 times a week.

If a guy said that he found an ancient rusty 30-30 in the woods, I would readily believe that.  Many a hunter has leaned his gun against a tree and walked away from it, never to find it again.

But this restorer guy seems to find a new Thompson, AK-47, etc. every day.  He must live next door to the fabled Nifty Gun Burial Grounds.