Swetnam Case Restoration

I just acquired a Swetnam FBI Case and well it has a few issues due to it's age. The leather is in really bad shape, the handle is falling apart on it, and it needs new feit on the inside of it and those are just a few of things. Please send me a PM if you know of someone who can professionally restore this case with keeping it all original. I want to keep it as it was, but also want it to be a great display piece, but as it is sits I think it needs some work. I spoke to Greg on the board and he does not do these cases. Any information you can provide would help me out a lot. Thank you.

Edited by mbc230

You need to get in touch with board member Robert Necessary His name on the board is Bob@rat-tat-tat . In the past he has made very high quality Thompson cases

Thank you Mr. Bill! I will send him a pm.

mbc230,

Just for the record the company is C.O. Swetnam, not "Svetnam". Below is a previous thread on Swetnam police cases.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10766

My mistake. Sorry about that. I did correct it. I am talking to Greg now about it. I will see what Greg says about it.

You need to get in touch with board member Robert Necessary His name on the board is Bob@rat-tat-tat . In the past he has made very high quality Thompson cases

I believe that Bob retired from making cases several years ago. I have not heard of any recent activity on his part in the Thompson case world.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I believe that Bob retired from making cases several years ago. I have not heard of any recent activity on his part in the Thompson case world.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Hello David. Thank you for the heads up.

I would just buy a nice new model and keep the old one in its WAR DOG look. Since the minute you mess with it and touch it up and redo its not the same. There is many a Thompson owner who has done that with something over the decades.and they regretted it.

I should know i talked with a few of them."ORIGINAL" you can never go back to once done.

And there are many things in the Thompson World like that today.

Just be glad you found a original case.not every Thompson

has one. RON K.

I can also back Greg's case. I bought one and it is very nice.. Too nice where I don't want to take it out. LOL

I'd keep the original case as original unless it is just a destroyed case and needs major repair. That's the only time I might mess with a valuable original item.

I have a couple nice repro Swetnam cases if your interested in trade and some cash.

Here are some pictures of the case. I do not want to completely restore it. I just want the little things fixed on it.

Swetnam Case - Front.JPG

Like the handle, which is completely rusted and I can not even hold it by the handle since the leather is so degraded.

Swetnam Case - Top Side - Leather Handle Damage.JPG

Barrel Holder needs to be re-glued in it, but not too bad to fix.

Swetnam Case - Left Side - Inside - Barrel Holder Damage.JPG

The felt is worn, but it will be fine and I will keep it that way.

Swetnam Case - Inside - Worn Felt01.JPG

Edited by mbc230

IMHO: You have an almost "Period Perfect" original case,

Why screw with it ?

Anyone who has an original case does not depend on the original handle to carry the weight load of the case design.

Your going to use it for the originality of the display, "I GUESS?"

If you do transport any original case, you always support it from the bottom, you DO NOT take a chance on handle support !

Im going to echo Colt Choppers comments. In my humble opinion, restoration of the handle or anything else undertaken would reduce the value of the original case. Some wood glue to hold the block in place wont hurt anything, but the handle, hinges and latches need to be considered non functional on a case of this age. They werent built like tanks even back in the day, but to each their own.

Ron

I always get scared the handle of my repro would break.. Even though it was made by Greg Fox.

What?!! You actually use your Fox case? When I got mine, I carefully took it out of the shipping box and excellent packing, took pictures of it, and carefully returned it to an 'as shipped' state without so much as bringing a firearm anywhere near it.

And I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who's done the same or similar.

Congratulations on obtaining an original Swetnam FBI type hardcase. This will display nicely with your Colt.

I agree this Swetnam hardcase has seen better days but the condition is actually not all that bad, especially for a display piece. And that is really all the Colt era hardcases are good for nowadays. The only original hardcases I have seen used today to carry Thompson guns is by the FBI. They use them because they have them; no other reason.

I would listen carefully to Colt Chopper (and the other forum members) as he has owned and still owns a number of Thompson hardcases. I see nothing wrong with having an expert like Greg Fox make a few minor repairs but i would not replace the handle unless an original one in better condition is available and the change can be made without altering the case in any manner. I would be more worried about damaging the case when it is being shipped to and from Greg.

IMHO: You have an almost "Period Perfect" original case,

Why screw with it ?

Anyone who has an original case does not depend on the original handle to carry the weight load of the case design.

Your going to use it for the originality of the display, "I GUESS?"

If you do transport any original case, you always support it from the bottom, you DO NOT take a chance on handle support !

I completely agree with you and I am not going to restore it. I am going to do some things to it that would make it display better. Greg has a handle for it that is period correct so I will just unclip the old one and install the replacement. I will keep the original with it and just not use it. I love the case it is perfect. I just wanted opinions from everyone as well and I appreciate it. I am going with what everyone says and leave it alone. I will not put any Colt in it for transport. I will transport it empty. I have too much money into it. Thank you for your advise.

Edited by mbc230

So the next thing I want is a key. Greg is not familiar with this lock and there are no makers marks on it. Does anyone happen to know what kind of lock this is? I am looking for the maker or the part number so then Greg can get me the proper key. See picture. Thank you all for your opinions and support on this.

Swetnam Case - Front - Lock - Need A Key.JPG