Doug Richardson, may he Rest in Peace

Hello all - I just talked to Dougs wife Rosemary. He passed away

last week in a hospital in Belize. I do not have a lot of details,

Doug was a really good guy, and a really good friend. I never

visited his shop but he stopped here one time out of the blue

on his way back from Europe and we hit it off right away. We

hung out at the SAR show and talked a lot about Thompsons.

I would call him down in Belize and when he would pick up

i would always ask him if it was the "Thompson Hot Line" and

he would laugh and say Yes!

I'll miss him.

Bob/Phila Ordnance

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Bob,

Thanks for the news, that is sad. I echo your sentiments about Doug; certainly one of the good guys and a very smart individual. I hope his final years were as good as they could be for him.

Ron

Provided the tools for the job then talked me through a barrel swap over the phone. Yes he will be missed. RIP

I have in the past have bought several books and parts and was always treated very well by Doug. Our hobby has lost a good man.

RIP Doug

A few years ago, Doug helped me add a few, what for me, harder to find magazines to my collection, and I also bought some of his books at the same time. The books may have been a little dated, at that time, but they still provided me with some good reading, and are still on my bookshelf.

I think I'd like to see my last few years out in Belize, it is a nice location.

RIP Doug

• Upvote 1

Sad news indeed. He used to attend the TCA Western show and shoot for many years. Loved to talk to him and hear his stories.

Glad that my wife and I had the chance to experience his company over the years. His knowledge of the TSMG will go with him. There are a few guys left, with time and experience with the TSMG. They are leaving us and they will be sorely missed. Agree with Bob. Well miss him

David

When an ear broke on my Doug Richardson "21" Actuator, I called him.

He said, "Send it, I'll replace it". And he did; no charge.

When he wasn't happy with his first edition Thompson Workshop Manual

(He said, in part because he was blind at the time, and could not actually view the final product),

he did a recall, and sent a new Second Edition to anyone who would return their first version.

Anyone who has Thompson tools (No matter where they came from) can thank Doug for many of the designs.

Did a drum dump today, in his Memory (And, using his 21 buffer system).

Edited by mnshooter

Sad to hear, thanks Bob for letting us know. When I talked with Doug about the inner workings of the Thompson, there wasn’t anything that he didn’t know. I always felt badly for him about his eye problems, I can’t even imagine the frustration that he went through to not be able to make the parts that he was so good at making. He will leave a void in the Thompson community that cannot be filled.

MH

• Upvote 1

When I was modifying my semi Kahr to take a 1928 lower, I spoke to Doug a few times. He was always willing to take time to answer even the most basic questions. I bought one of his 1928 style cocking knobs for my Kahr and a copy of his book on modifying the 28 lower to work with WH and Kahr. He was a great man and his knowledge and skills were truly impressive.

Aside from D.R.'s TSMG parts and periodicals his early contributions in the often controversial subject of Thompson legacy proved invaluable and daring. The thread below touched on this subject. He will be missed.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7955&hl=%20doug%20%20richardson%20%20numrich&page=3

I had a small problem with a purchase from him, he made it right and sent me one of his books for free with a note "For your troubles". There was no trouble but that's the kind of guy he was.

Another time while talking to him I asked about a screw on front sight for a 1928 barrel in place of the compensator/sight, like a 1921. He said that such a thing was never made. He then told me that he made one and after some fishing around found it and he sold it to me. Just a great person with an incredible body of knowledge and skill. People like Doug are very rare. We will all miss him. RIP Doug, RIP.

Last time I saw Doug was at his shop in Chatsworth to pick up a receiver. He was pretty blind at the time but knew his way around in the dark.

Part of the deal was he needed a lift to the Post Office. Couldn't drive any more.

"Great!"...an exclusive ten minutes with the Source of Thompson knowledge.

During the short trip we chatted about..."the lines at the Post Office".

He was never in it for the money. It was all about The Thompson.

Rest in Peace with Madelon, Doug... Phil