The Most Expensive M1A1 in History

Theres inflation, theres stupid prices, and then theres WTF are you thinking!? This falls into the third. The sad part of this is some moron will buy it based on the story and not have a clue. I thought the Ruben M1 at $32k which sold was a stupid price given the M1 market but all it takes is one person with deep pockets.

That’s one of the most shameful cock and bull stories that I’ve ever heard to try to get someone to buy a gun at an absurd price. Nobody is dumb enough to fall for that line of bull.

I would agree that it's worth a bit more due to the provenance if there was better documentation. Sticking to the facts; WWII bringback, amnesty registered in 1968, pearl harbor survivor. Especially if the seller provides the soldier's records and service history, etc.

But 259k is just silly.

With the riveted grip mount, should it not have a reinforcing band at the front of the horizontal grip?

Since the gun has been re-barreled and refinished, it is impossible to tell what happened to it. It wouldn't necessarily have the reinforcing band at the front if it is genuine bring back. It also has pitting under the ugly Parkerizing.

Edited by gijive

It's the old "run it up the flagpole and see who salutes" ploy. The real sale will happen off of Gunbroker.

At least there's no additional charge for the pitting on receiver and frame.

Going off of the writeup on the GB ad,...

There is no provenance associated with this gun whatsoever. Other than a WW2 Vet amnesty registered it in 68/69. There's no history of acquisition or of military use, no documentation communicated or presented. I don't know the actual number, but I would assume there were quite a decent number of amnesty registered M1/M1A1 Thompsons done in 1968. JB

Unless the history is verified and even if it is not verified it is still not worth even close to what the person on GB is asking. I am not surprised when people ask stupid amounts of money for there Thompson.

Any chance there's a matching broad arrow and maybe even some import marks hiding somewhere on that Thompson?

The oil bottle screams lend-lease and casts more than a little doubt on the totally unproven provenance story of a bring-back from the Pacific

Well, if any of you guys Buy-It-Now, I will throw in a FREE "Thompson M1 Oil Bottle" to replace the Enfield bottle that's in the stock. ...Phil

pix471729703.jpg

• Upvote 1

I do have a love of some of the stuff from WWII but not for that much for that thing.

They are trying to sell a story which may or may not be true. They also picked a terrible platform to sell it on in thinking people would pay crazy prices. Auction houses would market it better even with the commission fees.

I don't think this would sell for that price..

I'm just going to come out and say it.

The romanticism of ww2 is complete and utter bs.

It is a religion for lemmings.

Gold1927a1,

I think you should have thought a little more about what you are saying, before posting. There are a lot of older folks here that have ties to WWII, through their parents. Not a good start for a new member.

• Upvote 4

You say no one will fall for it, yet we are always amazed at the new level of stupid that rises to the occasion

As someone once said, " you will never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public".

• dalbert changed the title to The Most Expensive M1A1 in History