RIP Mike Wank (Giantpanda4)

It’s with a hugely heavy heart that I share with you all the sudden passing of my dear friend Mike Wank, known as Giantpanda4 on the board and actively involved in both TATA and TCA.  

Mike and his family were among some of the first people I met at my very first TATA show over 20 years ago and we instantly became friends.  At first we shared an interest in the Thompson and both lived in Michigan but we grew to become friends on so many levels, like family, and gun show buddies.

Rest in peace dear friend, you are deeply missed.  

Ron 

IMG_0830.jpeg

Mike Wank

November 22, 1958 ~ June 3, 2023

Obituary

His Legacy… Michael David Wank, age 64, passed away June 3, 2023. He was born on November 22, 1958 in Ludington, MI to David and Jean (Acuña) Wank. Mike graduated from Michigan Technological University with a Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Engineering. He married the love of his life, Julie English, on May 31, 1980 in Detroit, MI. Mike retired in 2018 from General Motors Proving Ground. Mike liked motorcycles, collecting cars, and a variety of other unique hobbies. He enjoyed photography and also worked with stained glass. Mike enjoyed spending time in the Upper Peninsula, especially in Houghton, MI. He will be missed by all who knew and loved him.

His Family… Mike leaves behind his wife, Julie, of 43 years; son, Eric (Danielle) Wank; brother, Alan (Roxie) Wank; and nephews, Russ (Cara) Wank and Matthew (Caroline) Wank. He is preceded in death by his parents.

His Farewell… Mike’s Community Farewell will be on Friday, June 9, 2023 at 12PM at Borek Jennings Funeral Home, Howell Memorial Chapel with a gathering beginning at 10AM until the time of service. The family requests super casual attire like jeans and your favorite t-shirt (suits discouraged). Memorial contributions are suggested to the Saint Bernard Rescue Foundation or Michigan Technological University ME-EM Department. Please leave a message of comfort for Mike’s family at 1-877-231-7900, or sign his guestbook at www.borekjennings.com.

To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Mike Wank, please visit our floral store.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RIP Mike, I never met Mike, but we did exchange emails a few times, he was a really nice man.

Thoughts and prayers for his family and on Friday at 12PM, I'll ensure I take a minutes silence out from my routine for him 🙏🏼

• Like 1

So sad. Mike was a great source of information in the Thompson world. Mike and Julie were some of the first people I met at the Thompson meet in Newark my first time. They have been great friends and it is always good to see them every year. He will be deeply missed, and he has left a great void in this world. Rest easy Mikey.

• Like 1

I am sorry to hear this very sad news. Mike is a wonderful man to deal with and I had some wonderful conversations with him during my introduction to this wonderful Thompson Community. RIP. You will be greatly missed.

When I got the call Sunday about this, I couldn't speak due to the shock.  He was a dear friend and will be deeply missed.  I don't know how to put into words the conversations we have had over the years, but it is a lose that has hit me hard.  Mike was supposed to come to the Ohio SubGun Match this weekend and I was looking forward to spending time with him.  We will be giving him a proper subgunner salute on Saturday in his honor and memory.

• Like 1

Mike was a great guy and a good friend.  I am still in shock to learn of his passing.  He will missed as we meet at Tracie's this August.  Rest in peace.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting this Ron, I seen Mike and Julie at the TCA Show and shoot at the end of April this year. I seen him last year at TCA and at Traci's a couple of times.

Always enjoyed talking to Mike and Julie and considered them as a friend. I am very shocked to hear about his passing and give my condolences to the Wank family. 

Mike (Stampcollector)

I am in complete shock. Mike was a friend and mentor to everyone who was lucky enough to meet him. Mike always took the time to discuss anything Thompson and sought out as many unique guns/accessories; making the rest of us very envious.

RIP Mike you will be missed by many. Condolences to the entire family.  

I have been in a funk since Sunday when I got a call from Roger, and learned of Mike's passing.  I met Mike in 2005 at Tracie's, and have spent many days and hours around he and Julie at TATA and TCA shows, NRA Annual Meetings in multiple cities, and a couple of other private events.  Several of us here on the board were with Mike and Julie in Florida in October 2021 for an unforgettable day and evening, the memory of which I will cherish forever.

I'm headed to Michigan tomorrow evening to attend Mike's service on Friday.  It's starting to become a long list of Thompson folks I've known who have passed.  Mike's passing hits especially hard.  I'm still somewhat in a state of denial about it.  It never occurred to me the last time I'd see him would be during lunch at Ralph's at OGCA a couple of meetings ago.

Rest In Peace, My Friend,

David Albert

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Been avoiding a post as words escaped me since hearing of Mike's passing.   Echoing many of the sentiments shared by those here and sending sympathies to Julie and family.  Unsure how many know that Mike and Julie had as one of their many hobbies treasure hunting with metal detectors.  Met both of them just this last February down here in Florida along what is known as the "Treasure Coast" for shipwrecks.  They were pursuing one of their passions of looking for treasures in the sand, my wife Marie and I met them for beer and pizza, Mike was as fun and entertaining as many of us remember him. Then we joined them attending an enlightening lecture, that we all enjoyed, from a famous treasure hunter at a town next to us.  Later, Mike and Julie took time to show Marie and I their treasure hunting equipment, it was a fun afternoon and evening.

Rest in Peace Mike

Michael

• Like 4

Saddened by this news, Mike was one of the first people we met attending our first TCA show and shoot a long time ago. He was one of the friendliest people I've ever known and also one of the most passionate about life.

Been off the computer for awhile but adding a prayer for him and his family 

RIP, Mike.

Hi All,

This is Eric, Mike’s son.

I just wanted to post and say thank you for all the wonderful posts, the video from the sub gun meet, and all the other ways you guys have supported our family in person and remotely (it’s hard to put it in words).

We will continue to be part of the community, and look forward to seeing you all again soon.  Just sadly without my dad.

-Eric 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2